so i really like the sound of my vox valve ad15vtx(23 watts) so i was thinking of running the amo through a car amp then into a cabinet so it would be around 100 wats into the cab so i can play small venue shows. Is This a good idea? Has anyone ever done this before?
Um... I suppose it could work.. But there's a lot of sketchy stuff going on. You'd probably be much better off micing it. I've never played at a venue which wasn't properly equipped to mic an amp so it shouldn't be much of a worry.

If you REALLY wanna do it.. it might be possible, as long as you've got the impedances right, but I feel like there's much better ways to make louder.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
so most of my sound would be coming from the pa and not the amp itself? i just dont want to go to a show and have my little 1x8 amp D;

just mic your amp. running your amp, through another amp, not voiced for guitar applications, and having that amp running to your cab... would sound horrible. you are much better off micing your amp, and running the mic through the house (which means p.a.)
because you'll blow up your amp.

you see that jack you plug your speaker into?

what's that say.

does it say car amp out.

no it ****ing doesn't.

it says speaker out.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I think it could work if the car amp input impedance matches the speaker output impedance, and the car amp output impedance matches the cabinet impedance.
Quote by AcousticMirror
because you'll blow up your amp.

you see that jack you plug your speaker into?

what's that say.

does it say car amp out.

no it ****ing doesn't.

it says speaker out.

not sure if those amps have a headphone out or not but if you plugged your car amp into that it would work not gonna say its gonna sound good but it would work line out would be much better to use if it has one
i dont think this is a good idea. what you'd be doing is running the guitar amp's power amp into yet another power amp. you'll overload/damage/destroy the second amp and probably the guitar amp as well.
Only try it using a line out or maybe a headphone jack. Speaker out->another amp input will melt something. Probably not instantly, it will probably work long enough to encourage you to turn something up loud. Most likely your vox will die, but it can die with enough noise to also ruin the car amp. The car amp "should" reproduce accurately whatever input is fed to it.
A few things:
1. 100W car amps are rarely actually 100W. They lie outrageously. I know because I've fixed quite a few.
2. How good it will sound will depend a lot on how you interface your amp to it.
3. You need a fairly high current source to run 100W at 12V. You are looking at about 15 amps. A car battery can source that but will drain fairly fast if the engine isn't running. A 15 amp 12V power supply is a pretty serious piece of kit.

Basically, not worth the effort.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100