I'm a right-handed guitarist learning some licks that include right hand tapping, using multiple fingers. It's a relatively easy technique, just the usual case of starting slow and gradually increasing tempo. This is until I'm required to use my right hand pinky to tap which has almost no coordination at all. I find it locks up and quite difficult to tap the correct fret.

So are there any techniques/exercises that can improve the strength and coordination of the right hand pinky?

Try to remember what you did to make your left hand pinkie finger strong enough for hammer-ons and pull-offs.
You can do some scales with the left hand, I don't how you position your right hand when tapping. But I will assume it is perpendicular to the strings. If so, you can hammer-on different scales and maybe some chromatic drills to strengthen that finger.
With time it will probably get stronger and more coordinated.
Quote by felakutihimself
Try to remember what you did to make your left hand pinkie finger strong enough for hammer-ons and pull-offs.
You can do some scales with the left hand, I don't how you position your right hand when tapping. But I will assume it is perpendicular to the strings. If so, you can hammer-on different scales and maybe some chromatic drills to strengthen that finger.
With time it will probably get stronger and more coordinated.

Thanks for a quick reply! For my left hand coordination I remember doing a whole lot of chromatic exercises using all fingers in different orders (eg: 1-2-3-4 across the fretboard, then change to 1-3-2-4 and so on...). So I could try continuing these scales with my right hand.
for me I found those no guitar finger exercises indispensable for strength and dexterity of my left hand. I cant think of what theyre called atm, but basically you set your hand down flat on the table and lift the finger up one by one. then theres the side to side exercises.

It helps build the muscles faster than playing on the guitar IMO because it lets you focus solely on independent control without extraneous factors like notes/strings/etc. once you get the control down then add in the guitar rudiments. keep it simple and go one step at a time and might get there faster than you think.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by kolonelkadat
for me I found those no guitar finger exercises indispensable for strength and dexterity of my left hand. I cant think of what theyre called atm, but basically you set your hand down flat on the table and lift the finger up one by one. then theres the side to side exercises.

It helps build the muscles faster than playing on the guitar IMO because it lets you focus solely on independent control without extraneous factors like notes/strings/etc. once you get the control down then add in the guitar rudiments. keep it simple and go one step at a time and might get there faster than you think.

Thanks, I'll give these a go too as finger independence is the problem.
heres a pretty decent video of what im talking about. it doesnt have the side to side, but im sure you can find that on own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBJrTsNZVaw

if you cant find the side to side, heres a brief rundown.
start with all fingers together, laid flat on the table.
move pointer finger as far to the outside as possible.
move each finger one at a time towards the index finger.
now go back the other way starting with the pinky.

repeat in groupings of 2, 3 and 4

and heres one my american football coach would make us do as part of our Calisthenics. and nowadays I do this all the time when im out walking around or just doing whatever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcZ6Jlaettc&feature=related
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Last edited by kolonelkadat at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by kolonelkadat
heres a pretty decent video of what im talking about. it doesnt have the side to side, but im sure you can find that on own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBJrTsNZVaw

if you cant find the side to side, heres a brief rundown.
start with all fingers together, laid flat on the table.
move pointer finger as far to the outside as possible.
move each finger one at a time towards the index finger.
now go back the other way starting with the pinky.

repeat in groupings of 2, 3 and 4

and heres one my american football coach would make us do as part of our Calisthenics. and nowadays I do this all the time when im out walking around or just doing whatever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcZ6Jlaettc&feature=related

I'll check them out! Hah I'm already finding it difficult moving the 3rd and 4th fingers in groups with the side to side exercise . Looks like I may have a lot of work to do.