Today, after we finished youth service at church, a good friend of mine was trying to put chords to a song on a acoustic guitar, which he finally found a good key to sing and play in. I saw a git fiddle over in the corner, and picked it up. Now, I'm a guitarist, and a bassist, and a poor drummer, and I have never played with an instrument like this. Anyways, I sat there and in about a minute or so I was harmonizing with the acoustic on a git fiddle, a instrument I've never played.

Which leads me to this question, how many of ya'll have just, picked up an instrument, whatever it was, and just started playing it, like, actually composing on it?
Once you know musical theory and can recognize certain qualities about sound and music, I reckon most instruments could be picked up and played to some extent. That said, have I done it?

Not really. My uncle's steel guitar (which had like 6+ pedals and more strings than I'd ever used) had me pretty stumped. Though, again, someone more competent could probably have picked it up and at least made something pretty. :P

Edit: Also note that I haven't really tried playing any other instruments since I learned guitar, the piano being the only exception but... let's face it, it's the simplest instrument to learn and comprehend -- even if it does take years and years to master its wonderful complexities. lol
Last edited by freakstylez at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Which leads me to this question, how many of ya'll have just, picked up an instrument, whatever it was, and just started playing it, like, actually composing on it?

probably all of us who a) know something about theory and b) have a good ear.

i actually learned how to play an upright bass this very way.

i can feel my way around stringed instruments very easily. the most difficult transition i've ever made was piano -> organ. don't listen to anyone who tells you they're the exact same instrument. only the hand technique is the same.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jul 21, 2011,
Sit down at a piano sometime, its SOOOOO much easier than a guitar, especially if you play in Cmaj :p
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by iancmtaylor
Sit down at a piano sometime, its SOOOOO much easier than a guitar, especially if you play in Cmaj :p

Precisely my point in the edit of my post, haha.
Quote by iancmtaylor

Oh yeah, you gotta go memorizing where notes are on the guitar where as a piano you just see how many black keys I need for this song. But when you do master the piano, you sound amazing (Jim Steinman being my favorite pianist)
OT: The ocarina, I got a custom one off ebay that looks just like the Ocarina of Time and I learned to play the intro to Crazy Train and a handful of beginner songs on.
Quote by Skullivan
OT: The ocarina, I got a custom one off ebay that looks just like the Ocarina of Time and I learned to play the intro to Crazy Train and a handful of beginner songs on.

If this forum had a "Like" button, yours would have +1 for awesome. I'm in no hurry... but I might just have to buy an Ocarina at some point in my life.
when I started to play it , that was too tough for me and I got it as a unexpected target for me. Then at the motivation of mine friend for the same I got the actual points that were lacking somewhere.
My dad decided he wanted a banjo to play that song from Deliverance. That really was a fun instrument to pick up, though unfortunately I don't listen to too much music where it's applicable for me to play it nearly as much as my guitars/basses/keyboard.

Still, an instrument you'd never think to use can be a really interesting experience for your technique and your ears. Hybrid picking is ridiculously easier for me now, for example.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I thought I would pick up the violin. I thought it would be easy because its like a mini guitar. but man oh man I cannot play it. not at all.

piano is easy as balls though. it takes what like 5 minutes to learn?
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by kolonelkadat
piano is easy as balls though. it takes what like 5 minutes to learn?

not sure if srs. unless your goal is to play journey's "don't stop believing", piano is extremely difficult.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I agree I play guitar and can make a piano sound alright but to make it sound like an instrument and not background noise its pretty difficult
Its same with sport - you get great football players, and then you get great ATHLETES. Big difference. You get good guitar players, but its better to be a good musician.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Last edited by W4T3V3R at Jul 21, 2011,
The thing about music theory and having a good ear and overall knowledge is that it applies to every single instrument. The difference between instruments is just the way they are played, their sound, and what they are used for.

And piano is not easy, I have no idea why people are saying this. Maybe if you play mary had a little lamb or something.