Last week I got pulled over and warned for speeding. The officer then said he smelled marijuana in my car (I wasn't smoking, never have) and asked me to step out of my car. He said he was going to search my car, and if he found anything illegal, he'd take me to jail unless I told him about it first. I had an open bottle of Jack Daniel's in my trunk that I told him about because I panicked and didn't want to go to jail. Anyway, I ended up with 3 tickets, 1 for underage possession, 1 for underage possession in a vehicle, and 1 for open container in a vehicle. I'm confused about how much the fine actually is though. On the top of the open container and the possession in a vehicle, there is a dollar amount that are an identical $263.50 and nothing on the top of the ticket for the underage possession. My question is, do I owe $263.50 or would the two be added together?
Quote by Ghost901
Last week I got pulled over and warned for speeding. The officer then said he smelled marijuana in my car (I wasn't smoking, never have) and asked me to step out of my car. He said he was going to search my car, and if he found anything illegal, he'd take me to jail unless I told him about it first. I had an open bottle of Jack Daniel's in my trunk that I told him about because I panicked and didn't want to go to jail. Anyway, I ended up with 3 tickets, 1 for underage possession, 1 for underage possession in a vehicle, and 1 for open container in a vehicle. I'm confused about how much the fine actually is though. On the top of the open container and the possession in a vehicle, there is a dollar amount that are an identical $263.50 and nothing on the top of the ticket for the underage possession. My question is, do I owe $263.50 or would the two be added together?

How did you panic I think you made the right decision.
What you really need is a new amp.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Are you in the US? They can't search your car without a warrant. Make sure you remember that next time so you don't get screwed over again.
At least you didn't get sent in for a DWI. That crap really messes your license up. Now there should be a number on the ticket, most likely to town hall or where ever your fines go through. If you can't call, then drive up to your town hall and ask about your ticket. That's what I've always done in these situations (aka twice). If all else fails, flee the country in search of your life-long goal of becoming a rockstar.
Quote by sandyman323
Are you in the US? They can't search your car without a warrant. Make sure you remember that next time so you don't get screwed over again.

Not worth it to pull this stuff. Especially if you're underage. They can use any little thing to get you out of your car. It's really not worth the hassle.
An open bottle in your trunk? That's BS. If you keep all the windows in the car shut, and only just crack the driver's window to talk to him, it's harder for him to prove he actually smelled anything coming from your car and had probable cause to demand a search. Stand up for your rights.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
if you're underage they need parental permission to search your car anyways. the marijuana lude is some bs they pull because, face it, that cop is a pig. contest it saying you had no right to search the vehicle and used unlawful means to obtain it.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by MetallicSka
What you really need is a new amp.

i actually laughed when i read this. crap.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by sandyman323

They can search the passenger compartment without a warrant, but they can't search the trunk without one.

/online lawyer
if i remember correctly, a bottle in your trunk does not constitute "open container."

also, lrn2warrant
Go Veg.
Quote by bastards
if you're underage they need parental permission to search your car anyways. the marijuana lude is some bs they pull because, face it, that cop is a pig. contest it saying you had no right to search the vehicle and used unlawful means to obtain it.

Yes, the cop didn't have a legal right to search but TS confessed to the open container, which is totally legit. Just the way it works. If he had a really good lawyer, he could try and persuade a judge that the cop manipulated him, but that won't get him much.

TS: Pay the tickets, double them if you can (so they don't go to your insurance company). Always try to have it amended though. I got a full-on reckless driving ticket reduced to what was essentially a slow-and-roll because I just kept nagging the DA. "Give me something here. We can take it down to [x]." He/she has a ton of cases and just wants to get them dealt with. You have a position of power, unless you did what you did and confess to wrong-doing.

tl;dr Try to get it amended to something less major than MIP/open container. If that doesn't work out, just pay the tickets and don't be a dumbass in the future.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
Yes, the cop didn't have a legal right to search but TS confessed to the open container, which is totally legit. Just the way it works. If he had a really good lawyer, he could try and persuade a judge that the cop manipulated him, but that won't get him much.

TS: Pay the tickets, double them if you can (so they don't go to your insurance company). Always try to have it amended though. I got a full-on reckless driving ticket reduced to what was essentially a slow-and-roll because I just kept nagging the DA. "Give me something here. We can take it down to [x]." He/she has a ton of cases and just wants to get them dealt with. You have a position of power, unless you did what you did and confess to wrong-doing.

tl;dr Try to get it amended to something less major than MIP/open container. If that doesn't work out, just pay the tickets and don't be a dumbass in the future.

Wait, double them so they don't go to the insurance company? What do you mean?
Just showing up for court can work for you. Even a "No contest" plea is fine enough because the fact is that you showed up; it shows that you care and/or are responsible. Two like fines could be reduced to a single fine.

The D.A. can help too, as was mentioned. One thing's for sure, if you stay home that day, you're gonna get all three.

EDIT: Never let a cop inside of anything without a warrant, and never surrender information.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Jul 21, 2011,
Can I expect to see a raise in my auto insurance rates or anything like that?
Quote by Ghost901
Can I expect to see a raise in my auto insurance rates or anything like that?

More than likely.
I'm not sure if it's just California, but I've heard that you can have your license revoked for a year just for being in possession of alcohol when you're under 21.