So allways before i play, i stetch out the muscles in my arms and hands (like the jp rock dicipline dvd says). I also usally "break" my fingers. By that i mean pulling or dragging them slightly with my other hand, so you hear a clicking noise. I feel like my hands are more flexible by doing this. But i heard some rumours when i was younger about it being not smart, and it can cause your fingers to not work propperly when you get older. On the other hand, i have heard oepole say its nothing bad about it and itsjust air. So what do you guys think? (hope you understood my question...)
I don't think cracking fingers is a bad thing. Someone once told me that they asked a doctor about it and were told that there was nothing wrong with it but take that with a grain of salt, I didn't ask a doctor myself and I don't know how trustworthy the person who told me was.

Edit:
Here's a link: http://osteoarthritis.about.com/od/osteoarthritis101/f/crack_knuckles.htm
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Last edited by Aleksi at Jul 21, 2011,
i've heard that it can make it easier to get arthiritis... could be totally wrong though, i don't really know
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Yes, it can lead to arthritis later on in life, but it feels as if it makes you move your fingers faster. I wouldn't worry about it though (I do it all the time) and when the time comes that you actually could have arthritis, I'm sure medicine will be at the point where there will be a simple fix.
Where's Waldo?
you mean cracking your knuckles? i have heard it facilitates the development of arthritis later in life, but i can't really back it up, since i've seen no evidence.

though you don't really get any benefits. it's all in your head. you don't get anything from it, but the possibilities of you suffering for it are very real, even if you won't actually suffer. scrunch your hand as hard as you can -- use every muscle fiber you can muster. are your knuckles cracking? they shouldn't -- when you crack your knuckles, your pushing your fingers in further than they are designed to go. think about that -- no real gain, but possibility of loss, so why do it?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
scrunch your hand as hard as you can -- use every muscle fiber you can muster. are your knuckles cracking? they shouldn't -- when you crack your knuckles, your pushing your fingers in further than they are designed to go. think about that -- no real gain, but possibility of loss, so why do it?

My knuckles do crack when I do that, same with my toes (obviously when I scrunch them up, not my hands).
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
My knuckles do crack when I do that, same with my toes (obviously when I scrunch them up, not my hands).

really? mine don't...toes do, though.

i'll add this, though -- i highly doubt that it's related to arthritis. but that doesn't mean it can't be related to anything else.

i'm not saying "don't do it, guize!". i'm saying that the benefits are none and the possibility of a deficit is real, even if not certain. you cannot gain, but you can lose. why take a risk you don't have to?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
+1

There's a lot of conflicting information about the harm it may or may not do, but the one thing you can be certain of is that there are ZERO benefits to doing it. That being the case 's far better to err on the side of caution and not do it, isn't it?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im actually sitting in a hospital right now, and I was curious enough to ask some of the nurses and the general concensus is that it might lead to arthritis, but probably not.

I havent seen any proper doctors, but when/if I do, I will ask them if I remember to.

ETA: I hate the sound and feeling of popping my fingers. but I LOVE the feeling and sound of popping my elbows. Its ever so satisfying.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Last edited by kolonelkadat at Jul 21, 2011,
It's just air escaping from the space between your bones, right?

I think the arthritis thing is just an old wives' tale. Many people can't stand hearing the sound of cracking knuckles, so why not scare other people out of the habit?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
I don't think its a problem. However, I would say that you shouldn't do it unless its neccessary to be on the safe side. For example if you feel pressure in a joint, move it around a bit and you'll here a crack which an air bubble in the fluid around your joint bursting. I mean theoretically cracking your knuckles is deliberately causing the build up of gas in the fluid which I suppose could link it to arthritis by the suggestion that you may be wearing down the fluid faster than it would naturally.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
First off i´d like to say i dont know if it´s harmful or not, but my guess would be it´s not.

I always "crack" my fingers before doing the rock dicipline streches and massage. I guess maybe streching and such on your hand may make it less harmful? If i dont do t my fingers feel wierd.
Nothing wrong with it. The "crack" you hear is just the sound of air bubbles exploding.
Quote by Sickz
First off i´d like to say i dont know if it´s harmful or not, but my guess would be it´s not.

I always "crack" my fingers before doing the rock dicipline streches and massage. I guess maybe streching and such on your hand may make it less harmful? If i dont do t my fingers feel wierd.

No they don't, you've just convinced yourself they do
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

You´re prob right. xD

When i finally get home from this semester im prob gonna try stay "break free since july '11".
Quote by steven seagull

I feel better after I've done it, but it's clearly just psychological. I can crack just about any joint on my body: fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, hips, knees, ankles, toes... .
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
This is the reality:

If it hurts when cracking joints, its bad for you.

If there is no pain when you hear a crack then its okay, thats just some air bubbles leaving the liquid gasses in your joints (joints that crack a lot/fast is a good sign, it means your joints are flexible)
It's not bad for you at all, my mom always said i would get arthritis but the doctors always said the opposite. The doc says people get arthritis when they stop using their hands either from pain or laziness, cracking your knuckles and fingers encourages blood flow and releases gas build up.

The arthritis is an old wives tale.
It's fine, as long as you are not putting excess strain on your ligaments and tendons (I forgot which is the right term), or your fingers.