Hey rockers. I've been looking for some new cool things and stuff to do when im on stage performing on the guitar. Your favorite band can only take you so far in that and I was wondering.

What are your favorite moves to pull on stage?
What facial expressions do you like to do?
Do you run around a lot on stage?
Do you interact with the crowd a lot?

Have fun, learn from each others posts, and try out some new moves!
Last gig i bit a bats head off. i like to keep my stuff original though
Guitar pick in the nostril while doing a tapping solo is a personal fave.... but doesnt get the reaction I expected...
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by 91RG350
Guitar pick in the nostril while doing a tapping solo is a personal fave.... but doesnt get the reaction I expected...

thanks for making me just now put a pick up my nose.
Quote by Deathro
Hey rockers. I've been looking for some new cool things and stuff to do when im on stage performing on the guitar. Your favorite band can only take you so far in that and I was wondering.

A little headbanging and a few windmill strums. I've seen in videos of our band's performances that I sometimes act a little too animated, bouncing around like a ritalyn kid. Maybe that comes from the fact that the rest of my band is usually so un-animated.

I like to make sex face expressions, the kind I usually make when I'm doing your mum.

I like to point to a make believe person in the crowd, give them a head nod, or throw up some "horns" to them as if they were a real person and totally into the show. This especially helps if I don't already have some friends out in the crowd I can do this with.

I don't run around on stage because the bars we play at are small, and barely fit our band.
Climb ontop of one of the larger speakers for a solo.

Just be careful not to knock it over or fall off like an idiot. Only do that if you have sturdy speakers.
~
"I'm a musician, what did you expect?"

~
Quote by Deathro

Quote by Deathro

I like to strike the strings to make them vibrate. Sometimes with my fingers, sometimes with a pick. One of my classic moves is to put fingers down on the fretboard to change the pitch of the string.
Sometimes I'll bend the string.

Quote by Deathro

I don't intend on doing any facial expressions. They just happen, cause I'm like expressing stuff.
Making faces to look cool, or just cause you think it's the thing to do = LAME

Quote by Deathro

I occasionally step over to the amp to adjust the volume, or step on a pedal for an effect.

Quote by Deathro

My notes do. Thats why I'm there...... to play music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by willT08
^^^

Yeah cool. I never want to see you live, you sound very boring and dull.

LOL

Well, Id never want to perform for you, because I like to play for people that listen.

it's music, an aural art. If you NEED to see someone run around and act cool, you're into something else.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
LOL

Well, Id never want to perform for you, because I like to play for people that listen.

it's music, an aural art. If you NEED to see someone run around and act cool, you're into something else.

What would keep someone from putting on a record of you and sitting at home then? There's a reason it's called a performance, not a recital!
Quote by Cowless
What would keep someone from putting on a record of you and sitting at home then? There's a reason it's called a performance, not a recital!

A musical performance need only involve music.

Again, if thats not enough for you, you're into something else.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
A musical performance need only involve music.

Again, if thats not enough for you, you're into something else.

I just hope your music is enthralling enough, certainly better than all the bands that play good music and move around, to justify seeing you live. Actually, that still wouldn't justify it. Again, what entices me against just buying your record, hearing a perfect version, and saving my money?

Edit: I do get your point, linguistically. People don't usually say that they are going to see a rock performance, they say they're going to see a show. But if you play any kind of music but classical or (sometimes) jazz and blues, you better have a show.
Last edited by Cowless at Jul 21, 2011,
Even if the group played their music exactly the way they do on record without moving a step, the live show is much better than the record.
Quote by Vlasco
Even if the group played their music exactly the way they do on record without moving a step, the live show is much better than the record.

Well, I'm not always so sure of that. But check out my edit.

Edit: Here's an example: Dragonforce. Almost always worse live.
Last edited by Cowless at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
LOL

If I wanted to watch people stand around while listening to music I'd ride an elevator.

No point going to shows if the band is boring as hell. I'd save the money and listen to an mp3.
Quote by GuitarMunky

it's music, an aural art.

When your favorite band is in town do you go to see them? Cause it sounds like you would be content enough to just listen to their albums. I mean, if their recordings are the best a band will sound like, why listen to anything else, ya know? Why do bands even through shows, they should just have "listens".
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
When your favorite band is in town do you go to see them? Cause it sounds like you would be content enough to just listen to their albums. I mean, if their recordings are the best a band will sound like, why listen to anything else, ya know? Why do bands even through shows, they should just have "listens".

Yup I do go when I can.

People Like Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson and Allan Holdsworth pretty much just stand there and play there asses off. I find that very entertaining.
shred is gaudy music
i like to eat chicken and pick with the chicken bone when im done. attracts alot of black people XD
Quote by 91RG350

tip: while doing that, make sure you put it thin part upwards, hurts like hell otherwise :/ ouch
Quote by GuitarMunky
Yup I do go when I can.

People Like Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson and Allan Holdsworth pretty much just stand there and play there asses off. I find that very entertaining.

Oh, I see what you did there.

And here I thought this sub-forum was Troll-free.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Oh, I see what you did there.

And here I thought this sub-forum was Troll-free.

No you don't. I was making a point.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
No you don't. I was making a point.

Sorry to break it to you, but even Jeff Beck has stage presence. He isn't running about, but he does do things other than just stand like a statue.
If your username was CaptainFalcon, I'd answer this.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Quote by Cowless
Sorry to break it to you, but even Jeff Beck has stage presence. He isn't running about, but he does do things other than just stand like a statue.

Yeah, I know... he PLAYS his guitar. Playing guitar requires movement, hence no statue.
His "stage presence" is him being present on the stage playing the guitar. and an amazing presence it is!! I've seen guys run all over the place, twirl the guitars around, lick their bass, make cool faces, use profanity to look cool...... none of that shit was as cool as seeing Jeff Beck actually play the guitar.

And thanks for "breaking that to me", but I've seen him live 3 times.

I'll take a dude playing guitar over a doosh trying to look cool any day.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Yup I do go when I can.

Blah blah blah. I hate fun. People who like to have fun while playing are stupid. Blah blah blah, excuse me, it is 3 pm. Time for my dinner.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by zeminion
Blah blah blah. I hate fun. People who like to have fun while playing are stupid.

^ where the hell you get that? I'm pretty sure that guys like Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Beck, and Eric Johnson have fun when they play their instrument on stage.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ where the hell you get that? I'm pretty sure that guys like Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Beck, and Eric Johnson have fun when they play their instrument on stage.

Dude leave the thread! Your contributing nothing! Just ruining it for everyone, keep your elitist comments to yourself!
Quote by Tobyflyr
Dude leave the thread! Your contributing nothing! Just ruining it for everyone, keep your elitist comments to yourself!

dude, no.

Besides your wrong.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Yeah, I know... he PLAYS his guitar. Playing guitar requires movement, hence no statue.
His "stage presence" is him being present on the stage playing the guitar. and an amazing presence it is!! I've seen guys run all over the place, twirl the guitars around, lick their bass, make cool faces, use profanity to look cool...... none of that shit was as cool as seeing Jeff Beck actually play the guitar.

And thanks for "breaking that to me", but I've seen him live 3 times.

I'll take a dude playing guitar over a doosh trying to look cool any day.

That's nice. However, I didn't condone acting like an idiot as a part of stage presence. So it seems that we agree; you don't need to try to act cool, just groove with your instrument and walk around a bit.

This doesn't discredit guitarists I prefer who do these things, though. It's all preference, bud. Not to mention the fact that you were only talking about guitarists. That's only part of a stage show, and a stationary, scared-looking singer can completely kill the mood when it comes to a rock concert.

EDIT: Well, it seems that this is a guitar thread. Touche, me!
GuitarMunky, you really overestimate the crowds that will be watching any UGer live.

Eric Johnson, Allan Holdsworth and Jeff Beck don't need to put on a visual show because they have the fans who want to go to see them live just to hear the music and what they'll do (because there'll always be something different in the playing at one of these guys' shows).
Though still Eric Johnson doesn't completely stand still. He does strike a bit of a pose every so often!

Anyone on UG, I assume, won't be someone who is very renowned on the guitar, and won't be part of a band where the audience is there just to listen.
Most people on UG will be in things like, Rock, Metal, Blues-rock, punk, pop-punk, etc, bands. And to assume again I wouldn't say they're exactly on the radio, so the people watching will need an incentive to become engrossed with the band. If everyone is just standing there people will say "These guys are boring" as opposed to "these guys don't need to move, they have amazing music".

Plus you seem to forget that for some people (i.e. me) stage presence isn't just thinking "You know what will be cool? I'll flip my guitar around." (nor is it just being present on stage, that's just being pedantic), it's the genuine urge to form a connection with the crowd, as they are reason you have a gig (therefore exposure), they're the reason you have payment, so you want to entertain them. Which is why I'll occasionally get into the crowd and dance with them while playing a song, and why I'll do the (much less flashy!) acknowledging nods to people who are making an effort to show they're enjoying the music and stuff like that.
(Don't get me wrong, last gig my bassist tried to recreate an occasion of dancing with the crowd and I just wasn't feeling it, so that felt wrong because I didn't want to leave him hanging so I had to join in).

But yeah, you're being overly critical about how people should react on stage, it's different for everyone!
I mean, if you're talking about guitarists who are playing their own (mainly) instrumental tunes, while Eric Johnson isn't overly flash on stage, people like Steve Vai do the whole stage show, even though it's a similar idea.
It's all about the preference of the artist, there's no reason not to enjoy something just because they're making a visual effort as well as a musical one. (of course if the actions compromise the actual music it's a bit of a redundant idea,but this rarely happens).

...I've really written enough now.
^ please don't misrepresent my position.

I never said anything about how people "should" act on stage or that you shouldn't put on a visual show. My point from the very beginning was that a person playing a guitar can be a show on it's own.

I will give my opinion now though about what people "should" do & some advice.....

You should put on whatever kind of show you want. If however you're just doing some moves that you heard about on the internet because you think you'll look cool, you'll probably end up looking like a cheezer because it's not natural for you.

Be your own artist.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 24, 2011,
I do a lot of stage moves when playing gigs because I'm usually drunk, which makes it easier for me. Specifically though:

A lot of singing (shouting) along
Moving about and such (This includes headbanging on some of the heavier stuff I play and jumping)
I tend to lean back and point my guitar to the ceiling for awesome affect
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Ya definitely have to act like you dig what you are doing, because if the band doesn't sell their own enthusiasm, then the crowd will absolutely NOT reciprocate with any of their own.

At an amateur level, I agree with previous post about needing the stage presence because amateur level music doesn't sell itself. It is still about performance art, which is not about music exclusively. Maybe in the indie/coffee shop crowd there isn't a big need for performance art, but I play rock music in bars where your crowd would get bored real quick if there wasn't.

Right now I've been laid up for the last few weeks with a broken C2 after getting wiped out by a 17 yr old driver. Dude... I would love to get on stage and do some mild headbanging!

Sometimes even a very wide leaned back stance with guitar slung low is enough to exude "cool" without having to jump around like a seizure. Just don't stand around like a scarecrow with robot hand movements like an animatronic elf in the mall at Christmas!
Don't be a headbanging fool or you'll look like a tool, very very overused, stupid.

In solo's you can put one leg up on the monitor's during the most intense couple of bars, don't leave yourself hanging tolong or too short, get low and play close to the edge of the stage screaming shiz at the crowd, bang your guitar on the drumkit, kick the drummer's kick drum, all that stuff is cool.
METAL!
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ please don't misrepresent my position.

I never said anything about how people "should" act on stage or that you shouldn't put on a visual show. My point from the very beginning was that a person playing a guitar can be a show on it's own.

I will give my opinion now though about what people "should" do & some advice.....

You should put on whatever kind of show you want. If however you're just doing some moves that you heard about on the internet because you think you'll look cool, you'll probably end up looking like a cheezer because it's not natural for you.

Be your own artist.

this
If you have to plan it ahead of time, it's fake and you're not feeling it.

Planning to meet another band member at a certain time in a certain song at a certain place on stage is fine once in a while, but for the most part, choreography is cheesy.

I've ran around like a madman, and I've stood still and concentrated on my fretboard.
It doesn't really matter. What's inportant is that YOU express yourself through the music.

When you're really into it, the audience is right there with you.
Last edited by Terry Gorle at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by Cowless
I just hope your music is enthralling enough, certainly better than all the bands that play good music and move around, to justify seeing you live. Actually, that still wouldn't justify it. Again, what entices me against just buying your record, hearing a perfect version, and saving my money?

Edit: I do get your point, linguistically. People don't usually say that they are going to see a rock performance, they say they're going to see a show. But if you play any kind of music but classical or (sometimes) jazz and blues, you better have a show.

can't let that go, there are so many blues players that light up the stage much better than any rock guitar players I've heard of. Buddy Guy plays with his teeth, runs out into the crowd singing and soloing wireless, and jumps all around the stage, plays behind his back, behind his head... he was Jimi Hendrix's inspiration to do all the crazy stuff he did.

Guitar Slim would come out on his bass player's shoulder's doing a solo, jump off and keep going, running around the crowd with a 60 foot cable still playing his butt off.

(Directed to the other guy who seems to dislike stage prescence) Of course the music is important, but your there to entertain a CROWD, not just a listener, and if you stand there starring at the ground, along with the rest of your band, while playing good music, people will definately say that the show was "OK" because they liked what they heard, but weren't very entertained.

listening to a record and going to a show are two very different things, and rightfully so.