fudged up?
well, they aren't COMPLETELY fudged up
but fudged enough that i don't know what to do with them anymore.
basically, i got 2 Jack'o DKMGs that i wanted to do in the same way as the first DKMG that i customized.
i tried to strip off the finish. and it just didn't go the way the first one did.
then i gave up and threw them in my closet, where they sit today.
use them as firewood? fix them? sell them? fix them then sell them? relic them?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
use them as firewood? fix them? sell them? fix them then sell them? relic them?

oh boy, they sure are "relic'd" now. i'll tell you
Send them my way - if you dont want them, I can find a good use for them
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Make them to look like a modern art . Just sand and paint them nicely and then sell on ebay. Simple!
"You can't play fast unless you play slow"
well, when i first ripped into these and saw that i had screwed up the veneer i got really depressed and basically threw the guitars in the back of my closet so i didn't have to look at them
so i just now tried to cover up my **** ups by staining the tops back to black

before:

after:

before:

after (the damaged spots seem to have absorbed more dye and thus look darker):
i stained the last picture black even further, and its a little better now. but there's definitely more stain absorption in the lighter areas in the "before" pictures.

i'll try sanding them down a little bit and see what the outcome is
You might just have to scrap the idea of having flame and sand away the veneer - alternatively you could buy a new veneer, glue it on, and then restain.

Does the second guitar you tried to refinish have the same issue where you sanded through the veneer?
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by ma_tt11
You might just have to scrap the idea of having flame and sand away the veneer - alternatively you could buy a new veneer, glue it on, and then restain.

Does the second guitar you tried to refinish have the same issue where you sanded through the veneer?

the veneer is still there. but i guess i stripped away some kind of sealer-coat in certain sections (where the light part is). so the problem is getting the entire face of the guitar uniform in terms of getting past that sealer coat. and there's only so much veneer to begin with.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Well i'd say to sand them, then buy a new veneer.

actually, i have veneer, believe it or not. but i don't know how i would glue it to the face of the guitar and apply enough pressure evenly, cuz its a carved top

EDIT: ExplorerBuilder, i sent you a PM
Last edited by sethp at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by sethp
the veneer is still there. but i guess i stripped away some kind of sealer-coat in certain sections (where the light part is). so the problem is getting the entire face of the guitar uniform in terms of getting past that sealer coat. and there's only so much veneer to begin with.

This is right. And you shouldn't begin to restain before you have the sealer off completely. The veneer is clearly thicker than on the Ibanez SA guitars. The fronts on those are so paper-thin that you can't sand on them at all without also sanding the glue and gumming up your paper and messing up the entire surface. So if your Jacksons had enough thickness to allow you to that far then maybe you can just concentrate on the sealed areas and then start over with the stain. Many types of stain are very forgiving if you sand back. Can't hurt to try.
Bump for the message to ExplorerBuilder and the reminder for his PM