Looks like you should practise more rhythm and get your timing tighter between changes in riffs/licks

Also, your wearing your strap wrong, it looks silly
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
I happen to have a very samilar guitar (if not the same), and I have also played for a year now.
All I can say is that you got to work on your vibrato, and to keep it clean without clouding the sound up with delay and reverb.
Quote by alexi66691
Anal-lyze my balls 1st and then I'll watch your vid

Analyse the report I just sent about your horribly unfunny spam post.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yes i have got massive ammounts of reverb on and im using the insane channel on a line 6 amp. Ive tried other channels and tried tweaking the eq etc but this was the best sound i could get.

Would i be right in thinking line 6 do not make good amps ?
Quote by mrbabo91
Yes i have got massive ammounts of reverb on and im using the insane channel on a line 6 amp. Ive tried other channels and tried tweaking the eq etc but this was the best sound i could get.

Just turn down the damn reverb, I can't hear a thing in what you recorded.
Quote by mrbabo91

You would be wrong. Line6 make some of the best modelling amps in the world and that's a danm hard task, if you have the right model you can get some damn good tones out of them but you do have to go high-end and tweak your settings quite carefully.

That being said, I assume you have a Spider... and they suck huge amounts of rancid, fat, shitty ass.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You would be wrong. Line6 make some of the best modelling amps in the world and that's a danm hard task, if you have the right model you can get some damn good tones out of them but you do have to go high-end and tweak your settings quite carefully.

That being said, I assume you have a Spider... and they suck huge amounts of rancid, fat, shitty ass.

Yep its a spider 4 15 watt.
Quote by mrbabo91
Yep its a spider 4 15 watt.

Yeah, I've never heard anything better than a decent tone out of one of those. Sorry.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Sounded to me like a few issues. Most of your technique was fine and your picking hand looked alright, so I'll just complain about your sound. Like the other guys said, kill the reverb. I used to use reverb to cover up sloppy playing. That doesn't get you anywhere. If you're not doing that now, it might happen down the road. Just record with a dry signal.

At 0:20 or so in the first video, it looked to me like you were trying to sweep pick. That's fine; it's a good challenge. But practice muting those notes there, whatever technique you were using. It sounded much cleaner on the second video than the first on that part.

overall, you're in good shape. That amp isn't gonna give you a much better sound, so I won't spend overlong on that. Your bends and legato sounded alright (the bends were nice and in tune and everything, which a lot of beginner guitarists don't get that quickly). Good stuff.
Quote by Geldin
Sounded to me like a few issues. Most of your technique was fine and your picking hand looked alright, so I'll just complain about your sound. Like the other guys said, kill the reverb. I used to use reverb to cover up sloppy playing. That doesn't get you anywhere. If you're not doing that now, it might happen down the road. Just record with a dry signal.

At 0:20 or so in the first video, it looked to me like you were trying to sweep pick. That's fine; it's a good challenge. But practice muting those notes there, whatever technique you were using. It sounded much cleaner on the second video than the first on that part.

overall, you're in good shape. That amp isn't gonna give you a much better sound, so I won't spend overlong on that. Your bends and legato sounded alright (the bends were nice and in tune and everything, which a lot of beginner guitarists don't get that quickly). Good stuff.

Great feedback there.

I dont use the reverb to cover up anything, i only use it because i find the tone is dull without it (probably cus its a sucky amp). I agree with everything you said though.
I agree. I have a Spider and it doesn't sound very good. The reverb helps, but not enough to make a difference. I like using a dry signal, personally. Especially if you're posting for us to analyze your technique, having a dry signal without many effects makes listening for technique much easier.
You're using your thumb to create the picking motion too much. Play more from your wrists. Trust me on this, 2+ years on I did the same stuff, well not as much as you, but still, and only now I realize how a thumb being the drive for your picking motion can screw things up. It's ok if you do it just a little, but don't overdo it.
Quote by Shinami
You're using your thumb to create the picking motion too much. Play more from your wrists. Trust me on this, 2+ years on I did the same stuff, well not as much as you, but still, and only now I realize how a thumb being the drive for your picking motion can screw things up. It's ok if you do it just a little, but don't overdo it.

I noticed this a few weeks back when i was playing air guitar lol, i didnt think much of it though but since youv'e spotted it im gonna take a look at it and try and work on it. Then again ive seen a lot of pro's pick like me but they all seem to be legato players.
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by mrbabo91
I noticed this a few weeks back when i was playing air guitar lol, i didnt think much of it though but since youv'e spotted it im gonna take a look at it and try and work on it. Then again ive seen a lot of pro's pick like me but they all seem to be legato players.

Like I said it doesn't matter if you do it a little. When picking notes slowly, I let this slide. However, faster alternate picking is a bane with the thumb.
I've seen a number of guitarists use their thumbs as the primary force behind their picking. One of those Japanese guys who isn't Syu does it a fair bit. It's safe to do and you can use it at high speeds. It's just tough to get that kind of picking up to speed.

Quote by mrbabo91
Then again ive seen a lot of pro's pick like me but they all seem to be legato players.

John Petrucci. Michael Angelo Batio. Corey Bealieu. Paul Waggoner. Paul Gilbert. Rusty Cooley. Ring any bells?

Legato is not an excuse not to practice alternate picking. It's a great skill to have, but don't become reliant on one technique because you didn't practice another.
^ My problem with the thumb is not exactly the speed, as much as it is skipping strings. When I drive the hand with the thumb, that takes excess force and it just kind feels locked down on one string and it's really hard to move it to another one below/above, let alone skip an entire string or two. When I only use the wrist, the arms feels easy and it just flows.
Quote by alexi66691
Anal-lyze my balls 1st and then I'll watch your vid

Analyze your warning cocknose
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Shinami
^ My problem with the thumb is not exactly the speed, as much as it is skipping strings. When I drive the hand with the thumb, that takes excess force and it just kind feels locked down on one string and it's really hard to move it to another one below/above, let alone skip an entire string or two. When I only use the wrist, the arms feels easy and it just flows.

Ahh. Thats probably why i always down pick or economy pick when i skip strings. I will have to learn to use my wrist more.
Quote by Zeletros
Just turn down the damn reverb, I can't hear a thing in what you recorded.

Yeah agreed
If I can add one thing it would be that you should always practice with the most unforgiving sound possible - no verb, delay and if you could take away some distortion that would give you and everyone else a chance on fairly evaluating your technique. A of of modeling amps are very forgiving of bad technique.
As far as mechanics you look good and I don't see any glaring strain issues. If you are comfortable sweeping or picking in a certain way then do it until you max out on your speed and hit a plateau. Everyone is different when it comes to techniques. I would not recommend changing any of that at this point.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your musical quests!

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joepinnavaia.com
I agree. When I want to practice my muting technique, I drown my signal in everything I can to make noise so that I really have to have perfect technique to keep things reasonable. Low-end modelling amps are good for that much, at least.

Also, Joe, you might want to stop signing your messages with a website. That's advertising. IIRC, it's ok to have links in your sig, but putting them at the end of a message like that is as like as not to get you a warning.