Page 1 of 2
I have a couple guitars right now, but through the years I've had a couple that I just take the neck pickup right out of. Being a metal guy and not playing much clean, I don't find myself using neck pickups much. I've just taken them right out and left the hole on some guitars. You?
tone control gets taken out, have two single hum guitars, don't miss my neck pickup
Some of my friends do that, and wire it so when they put it in the neck position it's completely silent. Good idea for a killswitch, I guess. But I like neck pickups and use them as often as bridge pickups. Of course, I don't play metal, so...
I dont see the point in taking it out if you have a pickup selector (like most guitars)

On my sg i can select to use the bridge pick up only so i'd just leave it on that setting if i never wanted to use the neck pick up but at least i'd still have the option to use it (or both) whereas i wouldnt if i'd removed the neck pickup
taking the neck pickup out of the wiring chain makes the bridge pup sound better
I use my neck pickup too frequently to ever take it out, and even if I never used it, I still wouldn't remove it from the guitar. IMHO, it limits you an awful lot, and even if you like the sound, it stops you experimenting with other tones.

Though I guess if you really wanted it back, its not that hard to put it back in. I just like having the tonal freedom there at all times.
Quote by gman128
taking the neck pickup out of the wiring chain makes the bridge pup sound better

lul I've heard this but never knew quite what to think.

TECHNICALLY taking anything extra out of the chain should get a more pure sound.
even "Being a metal guy and not playing much clean," you oughtta try the neck pickup for soloing.
^ what he said, sweeping just doesnt sound the same without neck pup
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
no!!!! neck pickup is probably my favorite pickup. sounds darker, you can make it brutal......i would never buy a guitar with just one pickup
I didn't take it out.

I never had it.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Neck pup FTW
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by rebar71
even "Being a metal guy and not playing much clean," you oughtta try the neck pickup for soloing.

It sounds nasaly and often doesn't cut through as well live.
Quote by xSacrilegex
I have a couple guitars right now, but through the years I've had a couple that I just take the neck pickup right out of. Being a metal guy and not playing much clean, I don't find myself using neck pickups much. I've just taken them right out and left the hole on some guitars. You?

Just buy a guitar without one.

You've l pretty much destroyed the resale value by doing what you did.

No matter what you think right now you might want to sell one of your butchered guitars one of these days.

At worst you'll get close to nothing trying to sell them the way they are.

At best you'll have to reinstall the neck pickup so you'll get the going price on the used market.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
I like neck pickups in my guitar, for cleans and for some lead work, though I can see what you mean, when I'm playing aggressive metal I never use the neck pickup, it doesn't work well at all when you're trying to sound angry. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by gman128

then you should wire your guitars better.

do it if you want the guitar to look that way.

Quote by Willowthewitch

No matter what you think right now you might want to sell one of your butchered guitars one of these days.

At best you'll have to reinstall the neck pickup so you'll get the going price on the used market.

and ^ you're not chopping up a guitar to take out a pickup.
they go in and out no problem. it's not that big of a deal.

but, it's for simplicity and aesthetics and really that's all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Willowthewitch

For starters I'm a guitar tech so installing the neck pickup to make it look new is not a problem, and anyone who's THAT worried about resale value would not do that to begin. **** you.
Quote by jj1565
then you should wire your guitars better.

do it if you want the guitar to look that way.

and ^ you're not chopping up a guitar to take out a pickup.
they go in and out no problem. it's not that big of a deal.

but, it's for simplicity and aesthetics and really that's all.

Your reply to it making the chain better is irrelevant.
Quote by xSacrilegex

what kind of pickup is it?
For me if I could get a good rhythm sound from a neck pickup I would be dumping the bridge pickup haha. I'm a metal head and I use the neck pickup for soloing almost exclusively. Even with the high gain settings you can still get a lot of clarity from the neck pickup which is really important for shredding. There is also something about the tone that makes it a lot easier to play noise free. That's just my opinion of course. It really depends on your pickups.
Quote by gman128

No. Simply no.

However, removing it entirely will eliminate the additional magnetic pull the pickup exerts on the strings.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quick question: How do you know what pickup to use on a HHH strat? I never really knew what the middle one was for..
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Vulcan
No. Simply no.

However, removing it entirely will eliminate the additional magnetic pull the pickup exerts on the strings.

yep, that will help the strings vibrate a bit more freely and give you a more open and airy sound. so it's nott entirely untrue that it makes it sound 'better' - if you like it better then it is better, but that's subjective

i use the bridge pickup more than the neck pickup, but i find the neck pickup really sings if you're running a fairly saturated clean tone from a tube amp, and i can't live without that. if i was using solid state amps exclusively however, i'd probably only ever use the bridge pickup.

edit: ^you can use whatever pickup you want for whatever you want to use it for, there's no rules about it. you'd use the middle pickup for whatever you want to use it for.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
yep, that will help the strings vibrate a bit more freely and give you a more open and airy sound. so it's nott entirely untrue that it makes it sound 'better' - if you like it better then it is better, but that's subjective

I meant that simply taking the neck pickup out of the circuit electrically will have no effect whatsoever.

Taking the pickup out entirely will, as you mentioned, allow freer string vibration. Better is indeed subjective, but there are plenty of guitars out there that have only a single bridge position humbucker - the Godin Redline comes to mind, which is a tremendous guitar for the price.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I'm starting to like the middle pickup now.
Quote by kutless999
I'm starting to like the middle pickup now.

No. You can't. This is UG. You can only pick bridge or neck pickup. And apparently only bridge pickup.

Also, chances are, depending on your guitar, say, a LP Custom, I think the middle is wired so all 3 pickups are on. In a guitar with a 5 way switch, it would probably be wired to have the middle pickup exclusively.

EDIT: I guess in a Strat like yours the middle pickup is independent, but it's reversed so the tone is a lot different, and the reason why when you combine it with the bridge or neck pickup, the hum gets canceled out to an extent.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 21, 2011,
I use my neck pickup regularly. I'd be much more inclined to remove the bridge pickup from my spare guitar, because that one sounds like a piece of donkey crap.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by gman128

No it doesn't, that's just a fig newton of your imagine running wild. Taking the neck pup out does nothing to the tone, you just think it is cause your mind thinks there should be a difference.

I think taking the neck pup out just cause you don't use it is plain stupid, one, it makes the guitar look bad, two, it limits the tones you can get. A good neck pickup will get you screaming solo's that are both punchy and smooth. Countless metal solo's are done using the neck humbucker, it ain't there just to look pretty.

Each to their own I suppose.
@r0ckthe, But the bridge pickup is too sharp and trebly and the neck pickup is too bassy.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 21, 2011,
Id never uglify my guitars by taking out the neck pickup. Id rather just unplug the pickup and leave it there. And anyway Id never remove the neck p[ickup on any of my guitars, Im a metal guy but I say I use the neck pickup just as much as the bridge pickup. And when tastes change that pickup is vital.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by xSacrilegex
Your reply to it making the chain better is irrelevant.

it is. because if your guitar is wired properly then removing the pup will make no difference.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Willowthewitch

It's really hard to desolder something and remove a few tiny screws, then put it in ziplock bag for months/years until you decide to sell the guitar(if he ever sells it), then screw it back in and resolder a few connections.

I can't imagine not having a neck pickup. I've heard it makes the bridge sound better, as does removing the tone knob, but I have a feeling it's one of those subtle differences that I won't notice. And considering I have to roll back the tone on my bridge pickups already, I don't need more output or a brighter sound.
Quote by W4RP1G
It's really hard to desolder something and remove a few tiny screws, then put it in ziplock bag for months/years until you decide to sell the guitar(if he ever sells it), then screw it back in and resolder a few connections.

I can't imagine not having a neck pickup. I've heard it makes the bridge sound better, as does removing the tone knob, but I have a feeling it's one of those subtle differences that I won't notice. And considering I have to roll back the tone on my bridge pickups already, I don't need more output or a brighter sound.

I think that would have a much more direct impact on the sound. Don't they limit something in the circuit?
Quote by xSacrilegex

All a matter of proper EQing. The neck pickup can cut through perfectly fine, unless your neck pickup is just bad, you have a bad EQ setting, or a mixture of both.
I'm the exact opposite - I come from the Brian May school of thought that the more you can control right out of your guitar, the better. My main guitar is adorned with three pickups, a five-way, three mini-toggles, a push-pull, and vol/tone. I wanted more, too.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I think that would have a much more direct impact on the sound. Don't they limit something in the circuit?

I'm no wiring expert, but I think the resistance rating on the pot, ie 500k, 250k, ect., is a direct measure of how limiting they do. So the less pots you have, more open the pickup will be.

I've never had the desire to remove the tone and volume pots though, I think 500k pots sound great and I would absolutely hate to lose those controls as I use them constantly. I am interested in what a 1000k pot would sound like with a neck pickup
So is the resistance when the pot is "off." then? It sounds significantly bassier with the tone pot off than all the way up, obviously. That would mean that when it's up, the resistance is less, and the circuit is more open?

gah. confusing.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
So is the resistance when the pot is "off." then? It sounds significantly bassier with the tone pot off than all the way up, obviously. That would mean that when it's up, the resistance is less, and the circuit is more open?

gah. confusing.

Like I said, I'm no wiring expert, but when the pot is full open, it is at 500k(for a humbucker). As you roll it down, it gradually goes to zero. You can test this with an ohm meter.

So a pot that is more open, allows more trebles through. That's why a lot of people change out the 300k pots for 500k on Gibsons.
Could you wire it so it bypasses the controls maxed out/pickups that're off when they're maxed/off, respectively, giving you the best of both worlds?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Page 1 of 2