Page 1 of 2
I'm going there to study...tell me about the place, post pics etc !

Important dates for me :
Aug 22nd - Classes begin
Nov 12th - Boris (live)

So excited !

What's awesome about LA and what sucks?
Discuss.
USC is in the heart of downtown LA, therefore everything around campus is pretty ghetto. Also, most of the students there are incredibly rich (hence the nickname "University of Spoiled Children".) Keep in mind that a lot of them are there because of family connections and not because of their good academics.

As for LA itself, there's always a good amount of events going on but traffic is always horrible and public transit sucks, so good luck getting anywhere outside of downtown. There's also a lot of smog (I don't know how it compares to Mumbai, though. But LA is trying to get cleaner air)

finally, as a USC student, you are required to hate all UCLA athletics. and the rest of the Pac-12 is required to hate you.
Go Veg.
Last edited by im not mental at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by im not mental
most of the students there are incredibly rich (hence the nickname "University of Spoiled Children".) Keep in mind that a lot of them are there because of family connections and not because of their good academics.

I'm going for a Graduate degree so hopefully most of the spoilt children will be somewhere else.

Quote by im not mental

As for LA itself, there's always a good amount of events going on but traffic is always horrible and public transit sucks, so good luck getting anywhere outside of downtown. There's also a lot of smog (I don't know how it compares to Mumbai, though. But LA is trying to get cleaner air)

Mumbai has pretty terrible air about 70% of the year.
...you're not really helping the excitement

Quote by im not mental

finally, as a USC student, you are required to hate all UCLA athletics.

Why...?
Do they hate mexicans?
Quote by unet
Nov 12th - Boris (live)

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I mean, I'm happy for you, but...

Also, congratulations on getting into USC!
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I mean, I'm happy for you, but...

You shouldnt have too much of a problem with that if you're going to Ryerson...

I imagine this is going to aggravate my Tinnitus

Quote by hriday_hazarika

Also, congratulations on getting into USC!

Congrats on getting in dude. Most of my family went there so naturally I'm applying this fall too. It's a really great school, one of the best in CA.

But yeah, definitely get ready for fog and traffic. I've only driven through LA so I can't say much about the city but there is A LOT to do there, so don't worry about being bored.
Quote by goldmember1217
Congrats on getting in dude. Most of my family went there so naturally I'm applying this fall too. It's a really great school, one of the best in CA.

But yeah, definitely get ready for fog and traffic. I've only driven through LA so I can't say much about the city but there is A LOT to do there, so don't worry about being bored.

They sent my admit really really late!
I was convinced I wasn't going to get a reply...

Yeah man...I'm sure I wont get bored.
I just wanted an idea of the place from people who've been there / live there!

Go Google!!
Quote by unet
I'm going for a Graduate degree so hopefully most of the spoilt children will be somewhere else.

Mumbai has pretty terrible air about 70% of the year.
...you're not really helping the excitement

Why...?
Do they hate mexicans?

oh well if you're going for a graduate degree you'll probably be ok. most of the spoiled children are undergrads.

as for UCLA, read.
Go Veg.
Quote by im not mental
oh well if you're going for a graduate degree you'll probably be ok. most of the spoiled children are undergrads.

as for UCLA, read.

hey, i am gonna be an undergrad at USC and i am not spoiled
GO BRUINS!

(I go to UCLA.) I hear that downtown is where a lot of the smog is, and also that the area around USC isn't necessarily too dangerous, but it is a poorer area, so it wouldn't be the best place to be. My friends at USC have told me that there's campus security on 3 sides of the campus. You should be fine though, methinks. Congrats on getting in What are you going to be studying?
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by im not mental

as for UCLA, read.

The problem :

The Solution :

Quote by kirbyrocknroll

(I go to UCLA.) I hear that downtown is where a lot of the smog is, and also that the area around USC isn't necessarily too dangerous, but it is a poorer area, so it wouldn't be the best place to be. My friends at USC have told me that there's campus security on 3 sides of the campus. You should be fine though, methinks. Congrats on getting in What are you going to be studying?

Yeah I've heard about the safety issues, but those can be easily avoided if you're sensible.

Thank you!
I'm doing an MS in Electrical Engineering (with a focus on audio signal processing)
USC is like an oasis of class in the middle of the slums. I strongly advise you to live in a dorm on campus because you really don't want to go to the surrounding area often.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by unet
You shouldnt have too much of a problem with that if you're going to Ryerson...

I dunno if I'm going. I'm only on their wait list.
Lololololol LA. My cousins and my mom grew up in the northern part, near Pasadena. That area is nice, but the area around USC especially is a ghetto. Good luck.
XcherryKateX goes to USC
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
well at USC, i highly reccomend you go check out their classical guitar events. it has one of the biggest programs in the country and amazing teachers and students that will blow your mind.

im from los angeles and have spent some time at USC, and right now am studying classical guitar from a teacher that teaches there occasionally (and im not paying 40k lolololol) at a community college. i know La pretty well after 18 years here haha.

as for spots around LA.

Tommy's (best burger joint in town) (In-n-out is also a really good contender also)

Universal Citywalk (everythings there)

Hollywood (good music, good gigs, good food if you know where to look, cheap music at amoeba, women)

USC itself has a crapload of beautiful girls.

is there anything specific your looking for? art, music, film, etc?
Classical Guitarist
Last edited by Zep_shizzle at Jul 22, 2011,
Concrete. ****ing. Jungle.

Go to Pasadena, or anything south of LA, for a legit time.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by I am wet
XcherryKateX goes to USC

um...okay

Quote by Zep_shizzle

is there anything specific your looking for? art, music, film, etc?

You've been the most helpful here...thank you!!

And well, I'm looking for all those things!

the last time I was in the states was when i was 10, so I'm pretty excited about everything!

And guys, I'm well aware of the ghetto neighbourhood...we have campus cruisers and a tram system that should keep us out of trouble.

Found a pretty cool 3 bedroom apartment which like 5-6 of us are going to share...we're getting friends to check it out now.
Congrats man!

Care to pick me up from India? I'm only 2 hours away Jk

Well done man. I've really got no advice for you because...well because I've never been to Cali

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Care to pick me up from India? I'm only 2 hours away

Don't joke around dude...I'm actually going through Dubai.
I've got some room in my luggage...

(I was going to say 'trunk'...but meh)

Quote by guitarxo
One of my friends is going to USC this year.

Undergrad or Grad student?

EIGHT DAYS LEFT....SO EXCITED!
Quote by unet
Don't joke around dude...I'm actually going through Dubai.
I've got some room in my luggage...

(I was going to say 'trunk'...but meh)

EIGHT DAYS LEFT....SO EXCITED!

Alright I'll get some food, some water, something to insulate me from the cold, my MP3 player and some Xanax (so as to not give a **** about hypothermia).

I'll need a large suitcase, for a large man.

LA is a traffic clogged shit-hole. If you go to USC, I guess the plus-side would be that if you are a Lakers fan, Staples Center is right there. Otherwise the area is somewhat...ghetto.

The college itself is quite nice, regarded very highly. Downside is that it is stupidly expensive. Tuition/fees are ridiculous there, even with stipends/aid/loans/grant.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Alright I'll get some food, some water, something to insulate me from the cold, my MP3 player and some Xanax (so as to not give a **** about hypothermia).

I'll need a large suitcase, for a large man.

No problem. I'll ask the air hostesses if they serve the baggage compartment.
Quote by beadhangingOne

The college itself is quite nice, regarded very highly. Downside is that it is stupidly expensive. Tuition/fees are ridiculous there, even with stipends/aid/loans/grant.

$27000 for tuition isn't too bad....most other colleges I applied to were charging a LOT more.
BU wanted $62000 including living expenses.
Quote by unet
$27000 for tuition isn't too bad....most other colleges I applied to were charging a LOT more.

27K is still pretty insane. Throw in housing, food, books, supplies, and you're paying nigh around 40-45K a year. My entire college education only totaled 70K by comparison. I go to University of California, so for me, private colleges just seem to be unjustifiably expensive haha. I think even UCs charge too much. They hike tuition every year. It's getting ridiculous.

EDIT: What is BU? Boston University or something?
Quote by unet

And that, my friend, is why I plan on going to community college.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Quote by beadhangingOne
27K is still pretty insane. Throw in housing, food, books, supplies, and you're paying nigh around 40-45K a year. My entire college education only totaled 70K by comparison. I go to University of California, so for me, private colleges just seem to be unjustifiably expensive haha. I think even UCs charge too much. They hike tuition every year. It's getting ridiculous.

EDIT: What is BU? Boston University or something?

Yeah I guess it is a bit excessive
hopefully I'll get a nice enough job after that I can pay it back soon-ish.

I applied to UCSD but no luck there.

Yep BU is Boston University.

EDIT : This is a Masters...so it's 2 years!
I'd be working part time, so my living expenses should be covered.
Im looking at a total of about $60k.
Last edited by unet at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by unet
Yeah I guess it is a bit excessive
hopefully I'll get a nice enough job after that I can pay it back soon-ish.

I applied to UCSD but no luck there.

Yep BU is Boston University.

You said you were going for a graduate degree right? Masters or PhD? Most graduate schools will give you hefty stipends (for PhD's at least, some masters programs as well)
Edited my prev post.

No PhD for me, I doubt I'll get any sort of stipend.

Maybe an RA or something after my first sem.
Quote by unet
um...okay

You've been the most helpful here...thank you!!

And well, I'm looking for all those things!

the last time I was in the states was when i was 10, so I'm pretty excited about everything!

And guys, I'm well aware of the ghetto neighbourhood...we have campus cruisers and a tram system that should keep us out of trouble.

Found a pretty cool 3 bedroom apartment which like 5-6 of us are going to share...we're getting friends to check it out now.

well, if you have any questions just ask and ill see if i can help really. im sure the people your moving in with will have knowledge of some cool places around los angeles.
Classical Guitarist
I GO TO USC!!!! WELCOME TO THE TROJAN FAMILY!!!!!!!!! I don't know you, but I love you already.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What degree? I'm guessing engineering.

Yeah....

How could you possibly know??

Quote by xcherrykatiex
I GO TO USC!!!! WELCOME TO THE TROJAN FAMILY!!!!!!!!! I don't know you, but I love you already.

Thank you!
And likewise, I'm sure.
Tell me....what's the local music scene like?
Quote by unet

Damn, and I though Vanderbilt was insane with: $58,554
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Page 1 of 2