So a bit of background,
I only own a few pedals, I've got a
Big Muff w/tone and wicker
MRX Phase 90
a Vox wah
And a few other random pedals floating around
But for the life of me I cant find a try of pedal power that works properly
I purchased one of these
http://www.audiospares.com/image.php?type=T&id=2056 from Dawsons Music in liverpool today, and its the second one that looks like this that I've had(got my other from a local music store) but they both cause a high pitch background noise behind my signal, it sounds similar to microphonic pickup's.

Regardless of guitar, amp, volume levals, which pedals I try I contunally get this sound, has anyone else had a similar problem? No other type of power supply has ever done this.
use a seprate power supply for the wah
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Maybe the power supply you're using is AC instead of DC? Go to a guitar store and ask someone whats wrong with it.
I've made sure its set to 9v and DC, I've tried it with each pedal on their own and the problem is actually made worse by that fact, it is a problem with this new style of power supplies I personally think.

Also the person that owns my local store tried the adaptor with a brand new pedal out the box and it was the same with that
I'm sorry that I couldnt find anything better. Dawsons dont stock the same product on their online store.

Its called a "Lynx AC/DC Power Supply"
Last edited by Lordshanks at Jul 21, 2011,
You need a power supply with isolated outputs and better power filtering and regulation...
That product likely provides no filtering, which is where some of your noise may come from.

Also, do you even know what "microphonic pickups" sound like? The idea is that they are microphonic, meaning they can potentially amplify vibrations into feedback if there's a lot of gain. It's not really hum related...Most modern pickups have wax potting, which prevents microphonics...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by forsaknazrael
You need a power supply with isolated outputs and better power filtering and regulation...
That product likely provides no filtering, which is where some of your noise may come from.

Well. I thought since this is what the music store supplied to me when I asked for a pedal power supply it should be okay

Quote by forsaknazrael

Also, do you even know what "microphonic pickups" sound like? The idea is that they are microphonic, meaning they can potentially amplify vibrations into feedback if there's a lot of gain. It's not really hum related...Most modern pickups have wax potting, which prevents microphonics...

Also I am well awear what microphonics sound like as I have potted, with wax,more than my share of pickups with the issue.
I merely meant they the problem is similar to microphonics in the sense that it is a constant high hum that will not stop.
Quote by Lordshanks
http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?productid=2057&cat=75&page=1
that should be a better link to the same product
Because that supply has multiple voltages I'm guessing it's a switching power supply. The whine may be coming from the switching circuit. I'd suggest getting a single voltage (9VDC center negative) regulated supply. Regulated is better because unregulated supplies tend to have higher output voltages if they aren't loaded to near their max rated output.
I held my tongue for the past hour or two cuz I didn't want you to think I was being mean or something. But this should be said. The power supply you got is an ultra-cheapy, kinda the same line as what we get in USA at a place called Radio Shack. It's generic, low end, and suits most purposes. BUT NOT AUDIO!!! Like fly said, get a better one when you can afford to. There's a reason that companies that specialize in guitar gear sell more expensive power supplies (1Spot, Dunlop DC Brick, Boss PSA's, etc...), they work right, and don't interfere with your sound when they are used correctly. Save up and get a better unit.
Quote by Lordshanks
Well. I thought since this is what the music store supplied to me when I asked for a pedal power supply it should be okay

Most people who work in music stores are retarded.

Quote by Lordshanks
Also I am well awear what microphonics sound like as I have potted, with wax,more than my share of pickups with the issue.
I merely meant they the problem is similar to microphonics in the sense that it is a constant high hum that will not stop.

Hum is NOT related to microphonics....
Hum is caused by ground loops, 60hZ from electronics and lights, etc....
Even excesive gain will exacerbate a slight hum. It's inevitable.
Also, something else that hasn't been mentioned yet, cheapo power supplies run the risk of damaging hardware if you suffer a short or a power spike as they do not have the same type/any protection measures in place if a fault occurs. Coming from a custom-PC building background, I know of folks who have written off thousands of dollars worth of hardware because they cheaped out on the power supply, which then shorted out and spiked, frying all connected hardware.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
Also, something else that hasn't been mentioned yet, cheapo power supplies run the risk of damaging hardware if you suffer a short or a power spike as they do not have the same type/any protection measures in place if a fault occurs. Coming from a custom-PC building background, I know of folks who have written off thousands of dollars worth of hardware because they cheaped out on the power supply, which then shorted out and spiked, frying all connected hardware.

voodoo power supplies aren't considered cheap are they? I was thinking about buying one when I start building up my pedalboard.
High pitched? Is it perhaps 120Hz? That happens when you draw too much current for the filter capacitor. I suspect that is the problem, cheap power packs often have very little filtering.

This is 125Hz: http://cathbard.com/files/125Hz.wav
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 23, 2011,
Check out the 1spot by visual sound, its effective and cheap. mine works great with no noise. Though i only have powered a max of 5 pedals at once. I would post a link but im on my phone. Good luck.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300