I'm sure this hasn't been done before but...

I've actually done a lot of searching on this, basically i've been playing just over a year on a really poor amp (given to me by my cousin, its a BB10 Blaster) so really, anything's an upgrade! I'm looking at a price range of up to about £120, i've read reviews on the line 6 spider, vyyper, roland cube and the microcube as these seem the most popular for that price range, and think i've narrowed it down to the cube 15 and the microcube.

I play mostly stuff like Nirvana and already own a Boss ds-1 pedal and a small clone chorus, so effects on the amp aren't the be all and end all. As well as the punk/grunge genre I play a lot of British Rock/Indie like Oasis, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys etc. I'm not in a band and the amp will be bedroom use for now however hopefully in the near future i'll be looking to practise with others.

I'm aware that there are a lot of better amps on the market but my budget is really quite tight, and considering my previous amp i'm guessing any of those mentioned will be considerably better to my ears at least! Thanks in advance.
I think you will be happy with the vypyr or the cube. They are both really solid IMO. Have you had an opportunity to play wither of them?

I think the vypyr has more options, but I still think the cube does what it does extremely well and prefer it because of its relative simplicity.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Look at vox vts
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
if you already have a couple of pedals and don't need a gigantic range of tones, consider a small tube amp. something like an epi valve junior (which takes pedals really well, but whose cleans aren't all that great) or a vht special 6 (much better out of the box than the epi, but doesn't take pedals just as well) would be worth considering.

i'd take the special 6 (I have both). thomann sells it for around £120. you'd need to get a UK kettle lead, though (not much money, like maybe a fiver or tenner) or an adaptor.

combine that with your pedals and maybe an od down the road (thomann sold a harley benton-branded joyo clone of a tubescreamer for about 30 euro, though it's out of stock at the moment) and you'd be covered for most tones you need.

EDIT: just out of interest, though, what exactly is your home situation? like if you have to practise at whisper volume levels, then the tube amp idea might not be the best option, the microcube might be a better plan in that case.

though for the tones you want i'd say the vox valvetronixes might be better, if you decide to go down the modelling route.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mircrocube was my first amp and it was a great choice. Good range of sounds, everything from clean to metal sounding so you won't even necessarily need your distortion pedal. There is also a setting(forget exactly what it's called) that has that sort of brit rock sound you were talking about. It also can get surprisingly loud for it's size. The effects on it are also pretty decent sounding, specifically the reverb. You would be very happy with this amp.
[]
Didn't realise I could get a tube amp for that low a price, to be honest i'm a complete novice with amps and would have to do a bit of reading up. I'm a bit wary that the only setting on the epiphone valve is the volume, i'm playing with an epi les paul special 2 which obviously is only really a beginners guitar and i'd be concerned at how much I could get out of it?

My home situation is alright for a bit of noise really, I can play at the back of the house pretty loudly and i'll be going back to uni in September and nobody really cares about the noise there. That's a couple of mentions for the vox as well, thanks for the replies everyone so far, at the moment its a toss up between the tube amp, microcube or a vox...decisions!
Tube amp, almost always tube amp. The epi valve junior takes pedals real well, as Dave_Mc said, but if you can save up about £50, £60, then I'd go for a blackstar ht-1 combo. Very versatile, can get louder than you think and great value for money. Thats just my opinion though.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
+1 to the ht-1 idea.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I've been sold on a tube amp, will get the epiphone valve junior combo if I can find it in stock anywhere in the UK! Had a look at the ht-1 but sadly I can't really budge on the price range, I quite like the idea of buying a pedal now and then for the epiphone if i'm looking for a different sound, thanks a lot for the help and suggestions.
ah if your home situation lets you get a bit of noise up, then tube would definitely be worth considering. just be careful about uni, though, if you're going to be in a dorm i doubt they want you to be cranking a 5 watt tube amp (you're talking well over 100dB).

i wouldn't worry too much about just having a volume on the epi. if it annoys you that much, though, the vht has a tone as well and a footswitchable boost. dawsons stocks them, but they're much, much cheaper on thomann. try in dawsons, buy from thomann, kind of thing. I think dawsons stocks the epi too, so you could try the two head to head (and probably some of the other cheaper tube amps, so basically try everything they have).

bear in mind the blackstars aren't all-tube (the hts, anyway). not a problem if you like how they sound, but there's so much ss stuff going on in them that it's debatable if there's much point in getting one over a simpler, actually-all-tube amp with a few pedals. I say that having not tried them, though, they may sound badass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Was in halls at Uni last year, renting a house for this year and me mates won't mind and the neighbours are students too so it'll be ok I think!

I thought about how it's only got a volume control and it's not a problem really, with the couple of pedals I do have i'm sure i'll be alright, I doubt i'd use half of the effects on the vypyer or spider anyway to be honest. If the tube is a better sound which obviously it should be then i'm happy.

Will try and get out the next couple of days to try them out, thanks again for the help.