Im currently using a line 6 spider 15 watt and have recently uprgraded my guitar to an epiphone les paul and fitted dmarzio super distortion pickups into it. However, the improvement in sound was good but wasn't great.

If i plugged my guitar into an amp such as a high end marshall or vox, how much tone difference could i expect ?
Of course it makes a difference! The difference is at it's biggest between a tube and a transistror amp in my opinion. Line 6 is a good brand, but go to a local music store and take your LP with you and test some amps out.
"You can't play fast unless you play slow"
It would make a huge difference. I had the same amp and moved to Guitar Rig. It isnt great itself but when I go back to the Spider I realise how horrible it sounds. I'd reccomend a POD X3 if you have the cash.
The amp makes up about 80-90% of your tone, so yeah, it makes a huge difference. The other 20% is your guitar and maybe your cables.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Seriously, the Line 6 Spider amps are abyssmal amps....Line 6 has some good stuff, but the Spider amps aren't it. If you even just get a Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix, which are more like lateral moves instead of upgrades (because the price is so similar) you will notice a huge improvement. If you get a small tube amp, like a VHT Special 6 Ultra or a Bugera V5, Blackheart Little Giant, something along those lines, you should see a huge difference.
Yes, a Roland cube will sound so much better than your itsy bitsy spider(no offense, it just goes with it)
I bought the Spider 15w years ago when I upgraded from the Yahama EG112 starter kit. It was fun at first, but I grew to hate the shitty tone. Last summer I bought a Marshall VS100 halfstack, and even though it's not all-tube, it's way better than the Spider. I would never go back to the Spider line even if I had no choice.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
I bought the Spider 15w years ago when I upgraded from the Yahama EG112 starter kit. It was fun at first, but I grew to hate the shitty tone. Last summer I bought a Marshall VS100 halfstack, and even though it's not all-tube, it's way better than the Spider. I would never go back to the Spider line even if I had no choice.

I would play a Spider if I didn't have anything else, but everytime I played it I think I would die a little inside. The Spider was my first amp and I thought I was just a really horrible player for like the first two years I was playing because I couldn't get a good sound out of that amp. Then I upgraded and haven't looked back.
You would think that the spider has the same modeling as the pod 2.0 or the pod hd series.
Having Super Distiortion pickups, you should consider your wiring options. I had a set of the DP101's (Same thing as Super Distortions, just wired with a switch to go from series to parallel) and a small tube amp. The sound was MUCH better than a Spider III. Could get any sound I wanted out of that guitar.
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
How much money would you expect to shell out for a good amp? Whenever I play past the 12th frets on my guitar, the sound quality really drops. I'm curious what kind of amps would sound good at the lowest prices possible.
I find that the amps ok for playing power chords and played lead lines lower down the neck but the higher you go the less sustain there is. The high e doesnt sustain at all. I think im gonna sell the spider and get a vyper or a cube because i feel the amp is kinda holding me back.
Quote by willhurley82
Having Super Distiortion pickups, you should consider your wiring options. I had a set of the DP101's (Same thing as Super Distortions, just wired with a switch to go from series to parallel) and a small tube amp. The sound was MUCH better than a Spider III. Could get any sound I wanted out of that guitar.

I think I found why it sounded better than the Spider....
You were using a better sounding amp.
Well changing amps from a line 6 spider to anything is about the same as taking a guitar without strings and putting string on it.

When you ask "how much of a difference will a good amp make?" Its honestly to me just as important as a good guitar.
after reading this thread, im now really looking forward to plugging into a decent amp
47 billion percent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
think of the amplifier as a part of the instrument itself.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube

It is, I hate how so few people realize this.
Quote by Blompcube

Even more so if it is an all valve amp. You can not only change the tone from how high the volume is and other onboard effects/eq but you can also change the tone by the way you attack the strings. What's even cooler is what type of valves are in your amp and what speaker is and how it's biased. I just recently got into all tube amps and the difference is honestly awesome especially at how much you can customize a tube amp's tone in so many ways.
Quote by mrbabo91
Im currently using a line 6 spider 15 watt and have recently uprgraded my guitar to an epiphone les paul and fitted dmarzio super distortion pickups into it. However, the improvement in sound was good but wasn't great.

yup

Quote by mrbabo91
If i plugged my guitar into an amp such as a high end marshall or vox, how much tone difference could i expect ?

on like a scale of 1 to 10. then i'd say you should expect a big difference. like 7 or something.

i'll tell you the honest truth, unless you are getting pretty damn good at guitar you won't like a good variety of higher end amp. the reason being that better amps are usually more responsive to playing, they also reveal inefficiencies in playing (like if you can't manipulate your dynamic range).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by darkwolf291
I think I found why it sounded better than the Spider....
You were using a better sounding amp.

That too, I really hate Spider amps after owning one. Check out Dimarzio Dual Sound humbuckers. It's what I was talking about. Combine that with even a cheap, ghetto tube amp, sound quality skyrockets.
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Quote by ibanart300
Even more so if it is an all valve amp. You can not only change the tone from how high the volume is and other onboard effects/eq but you can also change the tone by the way you attack the strings. What's even cooler is what type of valves are in your amp and what speaker is and how it's biased. I just recently got into all tube amps and the difference is honestly awesome especially at how much you can customize a tube amp's tone in so many ways.

exactly.

imo, you don't really develop a 'feel' for playing until you use a valve amp, because solid state amps just don't respond to the subtle details in the same way. you can't improve on something if you can't tell that it needs improving because you aren't hearing it.

i think everyone should own at least one valve amp, even if they prefer solid state. even a cheap little fender champ or something could do wonders for your playing if you practice through one regularly.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The difference is night and day
Do research most people will tell you upgrade your amp before your guitar, unless your guitar is unplayable or you have no guitar but even then still upgrade the amp!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by ibanart300

Your profile says your still playing a line 6 spider 75
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
He Guys

I searched for about an half an hour for something that answers my question.
And I'm sorry if you deem this question not appopriate for this thread

But what do you think about this.

I'm playing with this thought to buy a Line 6 Spider IV 120 Watt
I play in a Metal Band, so do you think it's a good choice or would you suggest an other amp?

thanks for you answers
cheers
Quote by Metal1ty
He Guys

I play in a Metal Band, so do you think it's a good choice or would you suggest an other amp?

thanks for you answers
cheers

My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Metal1ty
He Guys

thanks for you answers
cheers

No!!!! Dont get a spider(or an MG for that matter). You can find better amps than a spider. Budget?
Quote by slipknot_420
Your profile says your still playing a line 6 spider 75

Yeah sorry haven't gotten around to updating it with everything. I still use the Spider 75 it's good for warm ups and getting just standard practice in, for playing songs I play on a v22 valve. Cheap but great tone.