I've noticed that sometimes when I'm tremolo picking, it sounds absolutely HORRIBLE!
Instead of sounding awesome, it sounds all twangy.

What I want to know is: what's causing it? Is it the amp? amp settings? playing style? pickups? a combination of those? And more importantly, what can I do about it?

Things I've noticed/think might be important:

- I'm really not sure how to describe how it sounds.

-I've tried it at different places on the neck, and it only seems to be a problem on the G,B, and E strings.

-I don't think its caused by any ringing frets.
Most likely your technique, in which this should be moved to Guitar Techniques.

If you tell us your gear, and add a video we can tell you if its you our the gear.
Where's Waldo?
I'm using a Squier strat and a Marshall G215RCD. I don't have a video camera of any kind, so I can't post a video. I don't think it's my technique as it sounds fine on my other guitar.
You probably tremolo pick at a wrong angle, which can make fast picking easier but usually doesnt sound as good, try holding your pick at different angles, and find a comfortable one which sounds good to you, or you might just need new strings.
The key to clean but clear fast tremelo picking. Surf guirtarists have known it for years (Dick Dale. Ventures. etc)

-thin pick (.50 or so)
-pick as far back towards the bridge as practical.
-practice
It might be your technique (I've seen tons of guitarists, and everyone seems to do it a bit differently), or it may be that you need thicker strings to get the tone you want. A thicker pick could also help.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MrBillion
You probably tremolo pick at a wrong angle, which can make fast picking easier but usually doesnt sound as good, try holding your pick at different angles, and find a comfortable one which sounds good to you, or you might just need new strings.

It has nothing to do with my technique as it sounds perfectly fine on my other guitar. It sounds clean and correct, I just don't like the sound of the guitar, and I'm wondering where the sound is coming from: The guitar, the strings, or the amp.

I just changed the strings a few days ago, but they're the dirt cheap musician's gear strings, so it might be the strings.
Last edited by thrashdeth at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by thrashdeth
It has nothing to do with my technique as it sounds perfectly fine on my other guitar. It sounds clean and correct, I just don't like the sound of the guitar, and I'm wondering where the sound is coming from: The guitar, the strings, or the amp.

I just changed the strings a few days ago, but they're the dirt cheap musician's gear strings, so it might be the strings.

There you go. Different brands/types of strings do have different tonalities.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X