Hey guys, so I got a Marshall Class 5 a little while back and had a question.

So even with the low power switch, it's loud for my dorm room. I wanted an overdrive pedal that when the amp is pretty clean, it would provide that crunch at low volumes. Also, I wanted the ability to use this pedal to add on to the preexisting gain of the amp itself. Something to reach some metal/shred distortion, but does not have to be that heavy.

I was thinking Fulltone OCD, but was open to more suggestions. Budget of ~$150
Last edited by joehok1 at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by joehok1
Hey guys, so I got myself one of these little guys a couple weeks back and had a couple questions.

1. How exactly does the low output mode work? Is it attenuating or some other method?

2. So even with the low power switch, it's loud for my dorm room. I wanted an overdrive pedal that when the amp is pretty clean, it would provide that crunch at low volumes. Also, I wanted the ability to use this pedal to add on to the preexisting gain of the amp itself. Something to reach some metal/shred distortion, but does not have to be that heavy.

I was thinking Fulltone OCD, but was open to more suggestions. Budget of ~$15

I hope that was meant to be $150, cause you're going to have a hard time finding an OCD for $15...

I've only played the Class 5 once and wasn't hugely impressed, nor did I have any use for a low output mode... It's only 5w to begin with, so I never bothered trying that.

That amp didn't have very much gain, even when cranked, for me. If you wanted a metal amp, you should've gotten something different. The OCD might get you there, because it has much more gain on tap than your average OD pedal, but you might just be better off getting a distortion pedal with that amp, because as much as you try with an OD pedal, it's still going to sound like a low gain, low wattage, Marshall amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Haha, yeah I definitely backspaced on the "0" or something. I think the Class 5 is lovely, I mostly play low gain music, and the Plexi-ish tone is exactly what I was looking for. It's sort of a budget practice amp until I'm out of college and can actually crank an amp (thinking Orange Rockerverb 50). Also, since I am in such close quarters, 5 watts/low output is still too much!!

I was hoping someone with knowledge on many different OD's could help me out, b/c I have a very specific question. I know RagingKitty has experience with different types, like maybe the Catalinbread DLS would be better for my situation?

EDIT: although I know the DLS is outta my range, it's pretty flexible and I could probably reach. I'm thinking of pairing this OD with a Boss DD-7 or Carbon Copy and wanted some nice, smooth lead tones as well.
Last edited by joehok1 at Jul 21, 2011,