Hey guys
So I've been playing for around 5 years now but i have no pedals to show for it. I'm going to be having a garage sale soon so I might get 100 USD or so. But since there are so many options for different pedals I was wondering what the one quintessential guitar (or bass) pedal would be. I play mostly metal and rock etc. Thanks guys
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Usually people buy the pedals that they need to achieve a specific sound. So, buy pedals that you need for the sound you want, and don't buy them just because you think pedals will make you sound like a magical firebreathing music dragon.
Overdrive or distortion
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Maybe an eq or tubescreamer pedal.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
if you have a tube amp i'd say an od of some description.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
maybe a tuner?

a EQ pedal is always fun, i had lot of time with my parametric eq, soo much different sounds....

otherwise: a TS
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Don't feel too bad. I've been playing for 6 years and only have 2 fully functioning pedals.

EQ and od pedals are good for tone shaping. If you want something fun a delay pedal could be good too.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
You should probably buy used if you want real quality.

OD if you want crunch at low volume (Fulltone OCD or Full Drive, Ibanez TS9, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, Digitech Bad Monkey, etc) or ANALOG delay (I love My MXR Carbon Copy. When dialed in right, it makes makes a HUGE sound.)
EQ, Overdrive, Noise Gate, etc.

Line 6 also has the M5, which is 200 USD, but it can do literally everything (Modulation, EQ, OD's and Dirt, etc.).
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
TWA Triskelion TK-01 Harmonic Energizer.

Reviewed this month in Guitar World and looks fun as hell.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Grawgos
There is this new pedal out that makes you sound like a magical fire breathing musical dragon, so definitely grab that one.

Isn't that Paul Gilbert's Magik Box Fuzz universe pedal?
Boss GT-10.

Loophole!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wah Pedal =] (Ernie Ball or Crybaby)
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
Ibanez Gio Electric Guitar
15-Watt Ibanez Amp
1964 Goya G-20 Acoustic Guitar

Youtube: HeavenDown914 (Covers & All that Good Stuff)
Have some fun and try a few out - if something inspires you then buy it.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.