Hi, so a while ago I've read about double and quad tracking. I thought, this must be really good. A couple of weeks ago, I was with a friend who plays guitar very well, and we needed to record a small clip (not even 45secs), and I thought, OK I can try double or quad tracking it to make it sound better. So we recorded the clip a couple of times.

Then I went to Adobe Soundbooth CS5, and thought it would be easy to make the tracking thing (I'm aware of panning, volume, etc), but I had a little problem, I couldn't synchronize the tracks. I tried visually to just put the tracks so they had the same timming, but I couldn't. I am certain that my friend kept timming because he is well-experienced and he did record with a metronome. So, I figured that you can do it with some option inside the software, or I'm doing something wrong. I tried searching the forums and internet, but I just came up with theory (about panning, etc), but nothing practical about software. Basically, I can't syncronize the tracks...

I'm open to try any software, Soundbooth is what I have installed, but I can try anything...
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
Did he play along with the previous takes? Or are you trying to take multiple separate takes and put them together?

The best way to do it is to have the guitarist play the part in time. Then monitor that original take and play it again the second time. Then monitors both of those while playing it a third time etc. There's nothing to it in the software after that. If the time was close enough for you, all you do is take each separate track and pan them wherever you want. It's the subtle differences in time that give it that big sound when panned out.
Check if your DAW has snapping on, then you can just pull the clips to their places according to the project tempo.
Gear

Schecter Hellraiser C-1
ENGL Thunder 50 E322
Blackstar HT-50
Framus 2x12 Cab
Yamaha HS50M

Founder of Opeth Fans Group
if you can't drag it into time, and he played it in time, it sounds like it could be a latency issue?
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
this is a problem for a lot of people who think they are great guitarists. You never know how good someones timing is until they record lol. But the guy won't be perfect on time (which is good) and as said before if he is close enough though it will make it sound great.

Also check the other good suggestions people have given.
Hi, sorry for the late answer.

Thank for the comments. I managed to synchronize it a bit. I found the snap to beats options, but, in my multitrack view (where I have the 4 clips) I can't enable that option. So, I went to each clip, with the beats option on, and I just deleted the part of the clip till the beggining, so each clip started at the same time. But, it would be nice to synchronize without cutting, the help in Soundbooth isn't that helpful, and it doesn't say why is not enabled. So, any DAW recommendation?

PS: Clip's where pretty well on time, except for some parts :p. It sounded noticeably better double-track vs single-track.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30