...to fit into strap locks. Is it safe/possible? I have a Levi's strap I just bought, not worked in at all, that wont fit in my schaller locks. I am unable to screw the nut onto the threads with the strap between the pin and the washer. Would ironing the strap, thus flattening it be safe for it? Damn thing doesn't want to co-operate.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I don't know, would you iron a leather jacket? All straps are like this at first, you just have to force them.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Find 2 small sockets that are slightly larger than the washer. Place one on either side of the strap, square drive side facing the strap on each. Squeeze in a vise slowly. Leave it with pressure on, then watch some TV and come back later. Crank the vise again. Do this s few times and you'll likely get the locks on before long. I don't know why the lock manufacturers haven't wised up to the fact that literally all guitar straps made are too thick for their products. At least I have never yet encountered a painless install except with Dunlops.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Buy a 10mm hollow punch (which is exactly the same size as the threaded part of the Schaller locks), place leather strap on wooden block, line up hollow punch over existing hole, whack firmly with mallet, fit Schaller locks into the perfectly-sized hole you just made =) Repeat for other end of strap.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
Buy a 10mm hollow punch (which is exactly the same size as the threaded part of the Schaller locks), place leather strap on wooden block, line up hollow punch over existing hole, whack firmly with mallet, fit Schaller locks into the perfectly-sized hole you just made =) Repeat for other end of strap.

This. Or if you have a steady hand you can trim the hole to be a bit bigger with a scalpel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
This. Or if you have a steady hand you can trim the hole to be a bit bigger with a scalpel.

Except that the hole size isn't his problem. The problem is the thickness of the leather. The threaded part of the Schaller units is not long enough to have the nut engage with the washer stacked on top of the leather thickness. This problem occurs with the Ernie Ball locks too, except the real danger with those is that if you just get barely enough thread engagement, the actual locking aspect is defeated. They may seem like they have engaged, but the nut interferes with the pin going in far enough into the receiver to allow the little balls to lock home.

At least with the Schallers, they will still lock positively if you can just get enough thread engagement to keep them on the strap.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I've always been able to push really hard on the nut to get it to just barely engage, and then use a socket wrench to really tighten down on it... i think if you keep trying, you can do it...

Otherwise, use a c-clamp to compress the leather, and leave it like that for an hour or so... and hopefully that should do it for you.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
I have a two ply leather strap and never had this problem. I just push down until I get the thread started and then use a spanner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Musicman48858

Otherwise, use a c-clamp to compress the leather, and leave it like that for an hour or so... and hopefully that should do it for you.

There you go! Good simple suggestion.

I have several straps that I had to force with a wrench, but I do have 2 very nice ones that have much stiffer leather. I've simply been SOL with them and that type of locker.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1