Page 1 of 2
I feel special anyone else ever get to have the pleasure and the luxury of having to do so?
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
i own one. i bought it for 650,000 in 2007. about 100,000 less then they were worth at the time.

Lol, jk, i wish
yeah, I was at a blues jam when my string broke, and someone handed me their vintage les paul and said "don't drop it." I couldn't get a sharp tone out of it at all lol, I had to turn the treble of the Fender amp up all the way to get any sharpness out of it. The neck was a bit of a baseball bat, but it was ok. It wasn't a huge deal, but everybody said it was beautiful sounding, but I wasn't into the sound too much, more of a Fender guy. It was definately a pleasure to play a bit of history though.
lol Ive never even seen a real les paul...
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Ive touched Vintage Les Pauls, but never a '59. Ill admit, I am pretty jealous
Quote by willwelsh816
yeah, I was at a blues jam when my string broke, and someone handed me their vintage les paul and said "don't drop it." I couldn't get a sharp tone out of it at all lol, I had to turn the treble of the Fender amp up all the way to get any sharpness out of it. The neck was a bit of a baseball bat, but it was ok. It wasn't a huge deal, but everybody said it was beautiful sounding, but I wasn't into the sound too much, more of a Fender guy. It was definately a pleasure to play a bit of history though.

This. I got to play on a Les Paul recently at band practice and I was unimpressed. A good guitar, of course, and it was matched with a Marshall JCM 2000, but I definitely expected more out of the guitar. I used to dream about buying a Gibson, but after this experience I'm certainly not spending the money on one any time soon.
I don't have a signature
did you jizz your pants?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
It was at a guitar show sitting next to 2 52s totally awesome experience
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

Quote by dankhus
This. I got to play on a Les Paul recently at band practice and I was unimpressed. A good guitar, of course, and it was matched with a Marshall JCM 2000, but I definitely expected more out of the guitar. I used to dream about buying a Gibson, but after this experience I'm certainly not spending the money on one any time soon.

Yeah, I felt a little let down when I played it, although I'm not a big fan of most les paul tones except maybe Eric Clapton's tone on the Bluesbreakers album, but the '59 I tried couldn't get much treble.
oh and i didnt get to play it some people are really over protective hahahaha
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

My guitar teacher has an original strat.

Plays like shit, even he hates it

He traded it for one of the first Rosewood teles back in the 70s and wished he had never bothered.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i spent about a 1/2 hour playing one back around 86-87. they were going for a good buck then but no wheres near what they go for now. a friend worked at the House Of Guitars in Rochester Ny who were at the time one of the biggest vintage guitar dealers in the country. he got permission to take me into the "vault" area (ok it was a finished room in the basement of this place but that is what they called it). i played the LP along with a 56 strat, a late 50s Gretsch (don't remember what model but i believe it may have been the same as what pete townsend used on Who's Next) and a couple of others. i also played a 62 strat in the early 80s that was sold to ozzy (he gave it to bernie torme during his brief stint replacing randy rhoades). i've played a number of vintage guitars over the years some great some that were kinda meh and made me wonder what the big deal was.
Never a '59, buta '57 LP. A friend of mine has one and his dad gave him a '57 Blonde LP as his very first guitar. It sounds amazing and plays incredible, but is deffinately not a modern shredders guitar. Yes I agree with the Baseball bat neck they are huge! And with all of the amps I ever used it with an old Marshall JMP 45 and 4x12 with original greenbacks from the late 60's was the ultimate sound with that guitar, And wouldn't you know that was his first amp aswell !!!!!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The shop down the road from my house has at least two dozen guitars from the 1950's and 1960's.

Lot's of 70's guitars, too.

Oh, and amps, too.

If only it would be a good place to rob....
^ By the sounds of it it IS a good place to rob.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite
^ By the sounds of it it IS a good place to rob.

Whoever robs it will have to deport themselves into a foreign country, probably be illegal means, so they might have to be smuggled into Africa, and hide the guitar, and never take it out to show it to anyone because it would eventually be found.
Ive played a late 70s-mid 80s gibson LPC through an original JCM 800 full stack. one of my most favourite playing experiences ever :P

I get jealous everytime i hear these stories of people playing guitars that are such a big art of music history ....
Quote by Wisthekiller
My grandpa used to have a goldtop '59, I have given him a handshake, therefore through association, I have touch a '59 goldtop.

He loves me and I love you; and therefore vicariously he loves you!

Les Pauls are nice.
pics or it didn't happen.

i've played some old pauls and strats.

the old ones don't sound like the new ones.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 22, 2011,
....Wished I could go round the PRS factory with Paul...

Didnt you say the McCarty was more resonant than the 58?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
it's not exactly fender or gibson, but i have a '55 Jolana Grazioso Resonet at my parent's place (didn't feel like taking it through airport to get it home), got it from my grandpa. It's czech fender copy, first electric guitar which you could buy in here. Had it plugged to marshall jcm900 1960a and it sounded awesome ^^
i have played a '59 les paul junior but not a standard. it had the hugest neck i've ever played - took the term "baseball bat" to a whole new level.

i've also played a '57 LP junior, a '61 SG junior, '53 LP goltop, a '65 firebird, '65 SG standard, '66 SG special and nearly bought a '65 melody maker at one point. And then there's god knows how many late '60s-'70s les paul 'reissues', and i own a '73 SG.

And that's just gibsons - i've played a few vintage pre-CBS fenders too but nothing particularly memorable other than a '63 strat. tbh i was a little bit disappointed with vintage fenders. i really don't think they are any better than some of the new AV reissues. *holds up flame shield*

Even then, i'm still jealous that you got to touch a real '59

Quote by willwelsh816
Yeah, I felt a little let down when I played it, although I'm not a big fan of most les paul tones except maybe Eric Clapton's tone on the Bluesbreakers album, but the '59 I tried couldn't get much treble.

that's actually something to do with age i think. either that or they just sounded like that in the first place - of course i wasn't around when these guitars were new so i wouldn't know. but a lot of the vintage guitars i've played have had a much more rounded, sometimes slightly muffled top end. i can only assume it's something to do with the aged magnets becoming a bit "de-magnetised".

having said that, a lot of people who used gibsons back in the day also used to boost the amp with a treble booster - so maybe they were always just a little bit muffled sounding?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 22, 2011,
I've yet to own any vintage pieces but I will in the near future! While obviously the prices are insane ; the quality of guitar can not be debated. They are just way more solid and all around tone machines. But the collection of "vintage" pieces I've played through

'62 Gibson Les Paul SG
'65 Gibson Firebird w/P90's
'52-'54-'56 Les Paul Gold Tops
'56 Fender Strat
Various 70's Era Strats
'68 Marshall Plexi
'77 Marshall JMP
'52 Fender Tele
Various Fender Bandmaster's

I still have not played on an authentic Korina V and Explorer or a '59 Les Paul.
damn, where are people finding these vintage guitars to play? I never meet anyone with a vintage Fender or Gibson.
Quote by W4RP1G
damn, where are people finding these vintage guitars to play? I never meet anyone with a vintage Fender or Gibson.

usually if you go to different blues jams, you find people who collect vintage guitars. It seems like there's one at every bar lol.
Quote by W4RP1G

i know a few collectors, and keep an eye out for them in the kind of shops that sometimes get them - a lot of shops have websites with a list of stock these days, even the small ones.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

i don't get what's so special about older guitars, it just means they have worse electronics. if i wasen't allowed to sell it, i'd far rather have a modern guitar than an old one, if nothing else i'd be lesds worried about droping it
Quote by W4RP1G

All the good vintage guitars I have played are pretty much family heirlooms, thet were bought new or a few yrs old. They are lucky someone in the family was very into music at one time, and didn't sell off the instrument.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by teh_goon
i don't get what's so special about older guitars, it just means they have worse electronics. if i wasen't allowed to sell it, i'd far rather have a modern guitar than an old one, if nothing else i'd be lesds worried about droping it

yeah, thats a good way of thinking. if you ever find yourself in possession of a vintage guitar or amp give me a call and I'll just trade you the latest schecter/jackson/esp or whatever it is you like
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by teh_goon

Better wood and or build qualiy you can always update the electronics if you choose to if they sound to old. My 1970 lp destroys modern custom shops and that's not exactly during gibsons golden age so um yeah.
Quote by teh_goon

you're right, you don't get it, at all

Quote by teh_goon

If they have nitro finishes, the tone opens up more. The finish sets into the wood as time goes by and allows the guitar to breathe more. That = better tone. Pickup characteristics change over time as well.

That being said, I disagree with the dude who said the Norlin-era LP "blows away" modern Customs. I've played plenty of both.. can't say I agree at all, but to each his own.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
That being said, I disagree with the dude who said the Norlin-era LP "blows away" modern Customs. I've played plenty of both.. can't say I agree at all, but to each his own.

with norlin era gibsons it's impossible to judge whether they are better, worse, as good, or even in any way closely comparable to the new ones.

gibson's quality control was genuinely appauling at that time, but i think the good ones were very very good, far better than anything they make now, but the bad ones were absolutely terrible. these days you just get "decent" and "pretty good" gibsons, in comparison to the norlin era, i think.

Quote by Blompcube
with norlin era gibsons it's impossible to judge whether they are better, worse, as good, or even in any way closely comparable to the new ones.

gibson's quality control was genuinely appauling at that time, but i think the good ones were very very good, far better than anything they make now, but the bad ones were absolutely terrible. these days you just get "decent" and "pretty good" gibsons, in comparison to the norlin era, i think.

i agree. some norlins i've played are great, others i wouldn't put up against a epi.

that said one of the nicest custom i've ever played is a norlin, the other was a 68 that was built in 67, according to gibson.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Page 1 of 2