Page 1 of 3
After watching Dog Day Afternoon, I started thinking about the morality of bank robbery. People, when pressured by harsh economic circumstances, may end up doing controversial things (like robbing a bank) in order to help pay for certain needs. Do you believe it is justifiable to do so? Or is it wrong?
Good film. That's my input.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Robbing banks = morally wrong
Robbing bankers = they deserve it
Check out my band Disturbed
I don't know, the way I understand it is that none of the people that actually put their money into the bank lose it. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do
No. It's morally wrong full stop. They are robbing away the money of the people, some who are in exactly the same situation as the bank robbers but don't resort to being shitheads. The money the bank robbers end up stealing could be thousands of dollars saved up, in a really crappy-paid job, for someone else's wellbeing such as a child's medical supplies that are urgently needed etc...

This shouldn't be a question at all.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Hasn't this topic been done a thousand times over in the pit? And it always ends in one way, flaming and the ultimate closure of a thread, with the occasional banning. Oh and lots of demotivational pictures.

EDIT:

Not to be pessimistic Same thing over and over gets a little old... I'm just saying that's all
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by StewieSwan
Robbing banks = morally wrong
Robbing bankers = they deserve it

Despite the fact that I'm sure we both agree bankers can be corrupt, I'm confused. How do you believe robbing from an institution (a bank) is wrong, but robbing a person (a wealthy banker) is right? I'm not condemning or judging you; I'm just confused. Maybe I don't understand your logic here...

OT: I think bank robbery is wrong, TS. Maybe things are hard, or you have a lot of large bills to pay. However, just because things are hard on you doesn't mean you can essentially make it harder on someone else.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 21, 2011,
In capitalist america bank robs you

it would be pretty pointless robbing a bank as most of them don't store much money these days for precisely that reason. Hypothetically speaking, i would have no problem with bank robbing, but then again i think banks are essentially criminal organisations anyway
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Despite the fact that I'm sure we both agree bankers can be corrupt, I'm confused. How do you believe robbing from an institution (a bank) is wrong, but robbing a person (a wealthy banker) is right? I'm not condemning or judging you; I'm just confused. Maybe I don't understand your logic here...

OT: I think bank robbery is wrong, TS. Maybe things are hard, or you have a lot of large bills to pay. However, just because things are hard on you doesn't mean you can essentially make it harder on someone else.

Because they make their living off of robbing people.
i'm Robin Hood and what is this...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't know how banks work, to be honest, but if you robbed your local HSBC, you're not actually taking money from the customers, are you? I doubt HSBC would turn round and go, "Right, we're deducting the stolen sum from all our client's accounts", would they? And if they did, that's gonna be like a penny from every person.

It's not really the 19th Century anymore.
I'd say it can be justifiable in certain, usually extreme, circumstances.
Quote by StewieSwan

So why would it be wrong to rob a bank?

In my opinion, people will get so desperate that they can justify it to themselves, however it is not okay to steal money that other people have earned and are saving.
Quote by gabcd86
I don't know how banks work, to be honest, but if you robbed your local HSBC, you're not actually taking money from the customers, are you? I doubt HSBC would turn round and go, "Right, we're deducting the stolen sum from all our client's accounts", would they? And if they did, that's gonna be like a penny from every person.

It's not really the 19th Century anymore.

Thats how I am pretty sure it works
Quote by teh_goon
In capitalist america bank robs you

it would be pretty pointless robbing a bank as most of them don't store much money these days for precisely that reason. Hypothetically speaking, i would have no problem with bank robbing, but then again i think banks are essentially criminal organisations anyway

You must be one of those hipster guys who thinks "the man" is evil. The banks are not evil, people are evil, and will use every opportunity to screw other people of their money, it's a human thing, not a capitalist thing.

Robbing a bank is wrong, no matter what the situation is.
you're stooping down to the harsh economy by doing so. people like that are the reason why the economy is harsh.

that and politicians.

mostly politicians.

**** it, i'm sold, let's go rob a bank!
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
If you justify wrong doings by harsh circumstances then you remove the entire need for a law system. Everyone has a story and a reason they do what they do. I doubt someone who is just fine gets up and goes and robs a bank.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by ethan_hanus
You must be one of those hipster guys who thinks "the man" is evil. The banks are not evil, people are evil, and will use every opportunity to screw other people of their money, it's a human thing, not a capitalist thing.

Robbing a bank is wrong, no matter what the situation is.

What if the person is unemployed, and cannot find a job with a family that's about to be thrown out on the street because they can't make rest? What if that same person's daughter has cancer, and he can't afford to help her get better?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
What if the person is unemployed, and cannot find a job with a family that's about to be thrown out on the street because they can't make rest? What if that same person's daughter has cancer, and he can't afford to help her get better?

Then dad-gummit he should get one a dem der jobs before obamer destroys the ekominy.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

That's one of the times I'd say it's definitely acceptable.
Holy shit. Robbing the reserves from a bank is not going to put some customer going through hard times into poverty. It's mostly accounted for as "stats say this gon happen" like bad debt by the company. Quit being pussies, I do more immoral things in just the morning. Mother fuck a bank.
I think robbing a bank is wrong but I can feel sympathy for the robbers if they're so desperate they need to rob a bank to feed their family.
depends how they do it!
Sneak in and steal from a vault: almost acceptable
Walk in and put a gun to someones face and demand money: You should be locked up for the rest of your life!

The reason i say this is because a very close family member had a gun put in her face whilst her shop was robbed and Ive seen the psychological fuc*ing up it does to someone! anyone that does this doenst deserve their freedom!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

It doesn't matter. There would be no reason for law, if you just excused it for cases where it gets bad.
Quote by tayroar
It doesn't matter. There would be no reason for law, if you just excused it for cases where it gets bad.

So you're saying that the man in that situation should let his daughter die, and also put the rest of his family on the streets?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
So you're saying that the man in that situation should let his daughter die, and also put the rest of his family on the streets?

I'm saying it's wrong to steal. I'd feel sympathetic to it, but if I was a juror on his case I'd say he's guilty and give him the same sentence as any other grand larceny case. There actually are other ways around this, he could go to a charity or something, but to say circumstance excuses the crime is rediculous. Hell, if you're going to justify a crime because of circumstance, selling drugs is far more morally ambiguous.
define needs.

a sick family member that requires expensive medical treatment is one of the few reasons id say its justifiable. paying your electric bill is not a need. if you say you cant afford food but you arent trying to grow your own/pick wild food/hunt/etc then its not a need. its just for the sake of comfort or convenience.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by tayroar
I'm saying it's wrong to steal. I'd feel sympathetic to it, but if I was a juror on his case I'd say he's guilty and give him the same sentence as any other grand larceny case. There actually are other ways around this, he could go to a charity or something, but to say circumstance excuses the crime is rediculous. Hell, if you're going to justify a crime because of circumstance, selling drugs is far more morally ambiguous.

The system is inherantly immoral to even allow a case where the rich heads of banks are getting millions in golden goodbyes for being shit at their jobs yet some poor man has to face a choice like that to prevent his daughter dying. He's a victim of the time and the actions are perfectly fine.

I support anyone wanting to rob a bank anyway. I hope they all succeed.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The system is inherantly immoral to even allow a case where the rich heads of banks are getting millions in golden goodbyes for being shit at their jobs yet some poor man has to face a choice like that to prevent his daughter dying. He's a victim of the time and the actions are perfectly fine.

God damn you guys are such idealists. Yeah, it sucks that people suffer, but that's just the harsh realities of life. No, **** it, I'm not doing this again. You guys know my views by now, and I know yours, arguing this is ****ing pointless, so no.
Quote by Harmonius
No. It's morally wrong full stop. They are robbing away the money of the people, some who are in exactly the same situation as the bank robbers but don't resort to being shitheads. The money the bank robbers end up stealing could be thousands of dollars saved up, in a really crappy-paid job, for someone else's wellbeing such as a child's medical supplies that are urgently needed etc...

This shouldn't be a question at all.

You know, when you put money in the bank, your money isn't actually stored directly. The bank will spend it as they please and hope they can afford to pay you back. So, in this case, you'd be stealing from the bank, not an individual.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by King Twili
You know, when you put money in the bank, your money isn't actually stored directly. The bank will spend it as they please and hope they can afford to pay you back. So, in this case, you'd be stealing from the bank, not an individual.

Even so, it's still wrong. Arguing that robbing from someone who has more is rediculous, it's still robbery. Why do I have to justify it being wrong by making it sound like someone is dying. If I need shampoo and don't have the cash to buy it at the moment is it cool if I shoplift it? Sure, the store won't be broken by one bottle, but if it was cool for me, then it should be cool for everyone, then prices on shampoo go up and there is an eventual effect. God, I hate the teen angst in this thread.
Quote by tayroar
God damn you guys are such idealists. Yeah, it sucks that people suffer, but that's just the harsh realities of life. No, **** it, I'm not doing this again. You guys know my views by now, and I know yours, arguing this is ****ing pointless, so no.

Alright. Still don't think that the 'harsh realities' need to be anywhere near as harsh as they are under this system and i think that's a fair belief.
Quote by tayroar
Even so, it's still wrong. Arguing that robbing from someone who has more is rediculous, it's still robbery. Why do I have to justify it being wrong by making it sound like someone is dying. If I need shampoo and don't have the cash to buy it at the moment is it cool if I shoplift it? Sure, the store won't be broken by one bottle, but if it was cool for me, then it should be cool for everyone, then prices on shampoo go up and there is an eventual effect. God, I hate the teen angst in this thread.

Hey now, I'm not being angsty or taking any cheap shots. If I were, I'd post something like this.

Disobeying laws is sometimes right.
Quote by tayroar

Shampoo is hardly a necessity. Money, however, seems to be right now.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by StewieSwan

You planning on owning your own home someday?
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Badass if you get matching black outfits and shades to match and are in and out within 5 minutes. Otherwise morally wrong. end of story.
hue
Quote by Zoot Allures

It's called life. Some people get lucky, some people get shit on. Doesn't excuse robbery.

EDIT: Not that I wouldn't have sympathy for someone who truly needed the money. It's just that they still deserve to face punishment for their crimes.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Last edited by teachmeviolence at Jul 21, 2011,
Page 1 of 3