I was watching a video about a 1959 les paul burst , and was a reading a thread about one, and i was thinking what production guitars that are being made today would end up being considered a "holy grail" or something like what the 1959 les paul burst is thought of today but 40-50 years down the line. Will there be any guitars like that again. What do u guys think.
No.

They make too many guitars now, even "rare" modern guitars are still pretty much more abundant than the "original" guitars that are now seen as the holy grail of guitars.

Though I can see the Pre Factory PRS guitars becoming very sought after.... But thats about it. Maybe some Suhrs/Parkers/Viegers/Tom Andersons/Blackmachines.... But even then

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jul 21, 2011,
the holy grails will still be the 1959 les pauls. they won't just cease to exist.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Though I can see the Pre Factory PRS guitars becoming very sought after.... But thats about it. Maybe some Suhrs/Parkers/Viegers/Tom Andersons/Blackmachines.... But even then

Even now I hear that the pre factory PRS guitars are extremely sought after and apparently their even better than the current private stock
Quote by Blompcube
the holy grails will still be the 1959 les pauls. they won't just cease to exist.

but as possible generations lose touch with the history of the 59 (hopefully they wont) will there be any guitar from today that will have that much history to it, and not just history but also quality, rarity, etc.
I dont see it happening either. Between advances in manufacturing and rising quality, there is nothing that is going to make current guitars that much of a collector piece.

Then again, I wonder if that's what people in the 60's said. That kind of thing happened with cars.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
I dont see it happening either. Between advances in manufacturing and rising quality, there is nothing that is going to make current guitars that much of a collector piece.

Then again, I wonder if that's what people in the 60's said. That kind of thing happened with cars.

thats what i was thinking too. cuz it hit when in the vid they said, In 64 keith richards bought one and toured the US with it...

like back then buying one was just like buying a regular guitar, they prolly didnt think it would become what it is today
Quote by ampoverload
thats what i was thinking too. cuz it hit when in the vid they said, In 64 keith richards bought one and toured the US with it...

like back then buying one was just like buying a regular guitar, they prolly didnt think it would become what it is today

I know kids would put mickey mantle cards in their bike spokes and completely ruin them in various other ways while he was still playing baseball. Thats part of the reason those cards are so rare, because everyone destroyed them. I don't see a lot of people deliberately destroying guitars though.

LPs, Strats, and Teles have an advantage though because they were sort of at the forefront of electric guitars.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
There's threads about this all the time. I don't think there will be anymore.

Trying to sum up my opinions on this, basically those guitars are only legendary because the bands who use them were legendary. There are no legendary bands anymore, and the only ones that come close to the status those bands had (Muse, Metallica, etc.) have a bunch of signature models out now that anyone can buy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
There's threads about this all the time. I don't think there will be anymore.

Trying to sum up my opinions on this, basically those guitars are only legendary because the bands who use them were legendary. There are no legendary bands anymore, and the only ones that come close to the status those bands had (Muse, Metallica, etc.) have a bunch of signature models out now that anyone can buy.

Thats how i was feeling too. Maybe the auto tune program TPain uses will become a vintage sought after "musical" item, or sumthin like that

The only other way i would see their being a guitar like that would be if some high quality brand, produced a certain model for only about a year or so and they made only a few hundred in the US then they switched mid production to making them in another country,and people really like the US ones better, etc....
Last edited by ampoverload at Jul 21, 2011,
I rembered seeing something about a PRS on fretted americana. ( You know Phil x) and found an old prototype on their website. Paul talks about it in the quote below. If anything i think these will be the closest things to the 59's of the future. But still nowhere near as valuble or iconic.

"You know what?" Smith asks in the PRS Guitar Book. "We couldn't give them away! Now they're sought-after collector's items." As one of the few pre-production examples, this particular Metal is one of the most sought-after of the sought-afters.

link is here: http://www.frettedamericana.com/paul_reed_smith_metal_series_solid_body_1985-d-1077-0.html
Last edited by redandwhite12 at Jul 21, 2011,
I doubt it. The difference between now and the 1960's was that back then the electric guitar was still fairly new, and companies were still trying to refine their stuff. There's alot of history with these older guitars from many years ago. Now, everything is mass produced. It's just not the same.
Quote by redandwhite12
I rembered seeing something about a PRS on fretted americana. ( You know Phil x) and found an old prototype on their website. Paul talks about it in the quote below. If anything i think these will be the closest things to the 59's of the future. But still nowhere near as valuble or iconic.

"You know what?" Smith asks in the PRS Guitar Book. "We couldn't give them away! Now they're sought-after collector's items." As one of the few pre-production examples, this particular Metal is one of the most sought-after of the sought-afters.

link is here: http://www.frettedamericana.com/paul_reed_smith_metal_series_solid_body_1985-d-1077-0.html

dude i have watched just about every fretted americans vid, Phil x is awesome.
i'm sure that there will be some guitars that become highly sought after but not at the price range that a 59 LP goes for. all it will really take is for some"guitar hero" type to use some forgotten about axe and presto everyone will want one. look at what jack white has done for crappy old off brand stuff from the late 50 and early 60s.
I dont know what will become the "holy grail" of guitars in the future. But, what I do know is that I'm keeping all the guitars I buy for that very same reason!
Quote by monwobobbo
i'm sure that there will be some guitars that become highly sought after but not at the price range that a 59 LP goes for. all it will really take is for some"guitar hero" type to use some forgotten about axe and presto everyone will want one. look at what jack white has done for crappy old off brand stuff from the late 50 and early 60s.

yeah, it takes someone in like 60 years from now, and make squire bullet strats or something else nobody really likes anymore, and make it his/her trademark. Boom, a vintage guitar is born
thats hard^^^^

i hear gibson is making shittier quality guitars every year but IDK how true that is
The only guitars that really increase in value are the ones that were produced in limited numbers under large names. I don't mean limited editions or signatures, I'm talking about guitars that had production ceased unexpectedly. Lawsuits, design changes, understaffed, etc

Take my Flying V for example. It's only 8 years old but it is considered the most collectible Flying V made since the Hendrix custom from the early 90's. It's only a Faded model, but it has an ebony fretboard and crescent moon inlays. Production was from 2002 to mid '03 and a potential lawsuit made them change the design to what it is now (rosewood fretboard, dot inlays). They made Faded SG's like this also, but they produced almost twice the number of them as the V's.

EDIT: Also, fads bring up the value of some without warning. Set neck Silvertones from the 60's can fetch $800 for the right model
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jul 21, 2011,
^ in that case robot guitars

I hope they die out really soon
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Pre '84 PRS guitars, other than that you just can't beat a '59 LP, you will probably never play one though. I haven't, but I have played a '57 LP of my buddys( His dad gave it to him as a first guitar!).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Something will be; probably the limited run guitars more than anything. I can imagine Gibson guitars in the next 50 years with some of the limited runs they've had since the 90's being worth well over the original price. Not $300,000 or how much a 1959 LP is, but definitely worth more.
I imagine that the Les Paul Melody Makers they made in 2003 with the dual P90 setup will become collector's items... maybe it's just me who would kill for one of those in TV yellow.
Quote by Helicopters!
I imagine that the Les Paul Melody Makers they made in 2003 with the dual P90 setup will become collector's items... maybe it's just me who would kill for one of those in TV yellow.

like this?

Last edited by ampoverload at Jul 21, 2011,