I asked my sister today what her favorite color was, and predictably, she answered, "Pink!"
It made me wonder, is there a psychological or scientific reason that many females favor and are associated with pink? Or is it something so ingrained in our culture that it becomes stereotypical fact?

The same for the association of males and blue.

Thoughts?
I'd assume that's social conditioning more than an intrinsic psychological characteristic. I don't know for sure, that's just my guess.
Blue sucks. Green is where it's at.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
I think that according to some scientific study, females are sexually attracted to reddish colours. Can't be bothered looking it up though.

haha, uh oh, 'cause my favorite colors are green, blue and black.

interesting though.
Last edited by leilalauren at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by due 07
I'd assume that's social conditioning more than an intrinsic psychological characteristic. I don't know for sure, that's just my guess.

This.

Interesting thought, how much of what we call 'culture' is just social conditioning?

On topic, my favourite colour is dark blue but i like pink aswell.
It used to be the other way around in medieval times (or any other times that aren't these ones), I think. Pink was thought of as a manly colour, and blue as a softer, more feminine colour. So yeah, social conditioning.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 21, 2011,
Green's where it's at brosephs.

Just google image'd 'green' and my god it was beautiful.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I like purple and green about the same. The pink thing is probably conditioning though.
I recall reading somewhere that back in Roman times the baby boys were dressed in pink, and the baby girls were dressed in baby blue.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
What does 'like' really mean, when we say we 'like' a color? How can you even like a color ' better than another one? Is their some type of technical characteristic to the color? Can you describe it?
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
cos it matches their snatch
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Real answer: It's because girls have the capability to see further/better into the red wavelength, typically about 700nm, so they can see more pink in their lives and that's why many like the colour. On the other hand, guys can't see the transition from the red wavelengths to the blue wavelengths as clearly, so the colour pink is often not received as often by their retinas, and the colour pink seems more unnatural and something guys don't want to associate with.
Quote by Metallica1554
Real answer: It's because girls have the capability to see further/better into the red wavelength, typically about 700nm, so they can see more pink in their lives and that's why many like the colour. On the other hand, guys can't see the transition from the red wavelengths to the blue wavelengths as clearly, so the colour pink is often not received as often by their retinas, and the colour pink seems more unnatural and something guys don't want to associate with.

You sir, have a brain.
It's because their cooter is pink.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's because their cooter is pink.

hey retard...

read a few posts up
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Because from about age 2 everything sold for girls comes in pink. Girls must like pink, because things for girls come in pink, because girls like pink. And so on.
Quote by due 07

Got it in the first reply.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Why does anyone care? Girls like pink, boys don't, what's so hard to accept?

I like pink.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I like green and orange the best! I think girls tend to like pink cause of whats already been stated.
Quote by SmarterChild
Because from about age 2 everything sold for girls comes in pink. Girls must like pink, because things for girls come in pink, because girls like pink. And so on.

I would think this has something to do with focus groups telling them that girls liked pink before then.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
People only dress girls in pink because they're scared someone will come up and say "oh, what a handsome boy he is" if they don't
Yea probably social conditioning. But honestly, who cares? Is girls wearing pink and boys wearing blue really hurting anyone? No.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I really want to have a baby boy and dress him in pink all the time and when people come up and say what a lovely daughter I have then I can say "oh he's not a girl, he's gay"

This is probably why my girlfriends always say I'm not ready to be a father
All midgetized humanoids must be forced into selected, colour-coded groups. The colours are in relation to their future occupations.

Serious answer: There is the thing about girl's sight being more attuned to pink parts of the spectrum than a guy's sight. There is also the fact that society has made pink a girl's colour and blue a boy's girl. Some people try to pit it on one single thing but the fact is that it is a mixture of these two factors mainly that has caused this seperation.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
white is my favourite

edit: some girls/people like cute things and pink is a "cute" colour, so yeah
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I write poetry
And it sucks.
Last edited by leafwhisperer at Jul 22, 2011,