Page 1 of 2
I'm having a hard time deciding on what amp to buy.
-Orange?
-Line6
-Marshall
-Peavey
-Vox

I'm having a hard time choosing between them...

I'm Digging the Line6 tho.. Cause my fav. guitarist on Youtube uses it w/ his Synyster Custom :p But HELP ME!!!

Budget: $200 (Looking at amps $100 higher. Imma try nd get it used for $50-$100 less)

BUYING A COMBO AMP

Genre: Metal/Rock/Metalcore

Closest City: I'm looking Online

New Or Used: Used (I could get a good amp for cheap if used)

It's for my home. To Practice with and with my friends when they come over. ( :

Current Amp: Some Ibanez Amp. It sucks... 15watt tho...

***Happy Tom 1.0 *** "-__-
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
Ibanez Gio Electric Guitar
15-Watt Ibanez Amp
1964 Goya G-20 Acoustic Guitar

Youtube: HeavenDown914 (Covers & All that Good Stuff)
Last edited by Heaven Down at Jul 22, 2011,
**** all.

Nice try.

*reported*

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Whats wrong w/ my post ???
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

Oh okay... Well, I'm a real person hahaha.... Nd I'm replying to ur posts. So, yeah I'm real not a bot o_O...

Nd Thanks for that I didn't see that in the Sticky's ...

#Stop with the wierd comments guys... I need real answers #SHEESH
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

Well what price range of those amps are you looking at?
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
I'm reading the $300 ones nd imma get them used for $50-100 lower...
I got my Synyster Custom for $550 on Ebay (it costs $1000 @GC nd Retails $1499)
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

Last edited by Heaven Down at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

read that they try again, i fail to believe after having an account for 2 years you dont see how your post can be seen to be trolling bait.

You see it as trolling bait, others see it as a beginner or a guy who isn't a gear head asking for some legitimate opinions...

Not everyone on this site is aware of how bad we all think Spiders suck.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Tell us where you live (closest major city) so we can look up used gear in your area. I'm thinking a Peavey Ultra or XXX would be great, alternatively, a Peavey Classic 30 with a boost up front might suffice. Maybe a Jet City JCA2112.

By the way, listing brands won't help you much. All the brands in your opening post make a wide range of amps, from god-awful crap right up to professional equipment that you'd find on stages and in studios. If you need advice about an amp, you have to tell us the specific model.

Quote by Mopy
You see it as trolling bait, others see it as a beginner or a guy who isn't a gear head asking for some legitimate opinions...

Not everyone on this site is aware of how bad we all think Spiders suck.

True, but this forum has grown to a size where people need to follow rules or it degenerates into a giant cluster****. And if someone does not have the ten seconds it takes to look at what other threads are on the first page, among them a sticky that specifically tells them to read it, and then does not have the thirty or so seconds it takes to read said sticky... well, too bad.
I'm not typing the same crap over and over again, that's why stickies have been posted in the first place.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
Peavey Ultra or XXX

+1

Or maybe a used 6505+ 112 combo. The ultra and XXX will be more versatile though.
Hmm surprising that the 6505 fanboys aren't already all over this thread.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
6505(+) is a good idea, but will a used one be around 300 bucks? I'm thinking more like 400 for this. Or maybe not, the used-market in the US can behave a lot differently than the one here.
Quote by TheQuailman
6505(+) is a good idea, but will a used one be around 300 bucks? I'm thinking more like 400 for this. Or maybe not, the used-market in the US can behave a lot differently than the one here.

I got mine for $275. But if it came down to it, I'd take the Ultra or XXX over it just for the versatility. Even if I had to cough up another $100 or so for the Ultra/XXX.

Quote by ragingkitty

I'm not a fanboy...although I do like the amp. I'd like to see what you think is a better, giggable metal amp for $275
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by Heaven Down
I'm reading the $300 ones nd imma get them used for $50-100 lower...
I got my Synyster Custom for $550 on Ebay (it costs $1000 @GC nd Retails $1499)

Synyster customs are overpriced as are most customs.

If you bump your price range up to $400-500 you should be able score a used peavey 5150/6505 2x12 combo.
Or I hate to say it but the 1x12 chinese made peavey 6505+ there $599 new ive seen them for under $400 used a few times.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by ragingkitty

there here
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Yeah, I'm digging the Line 6 Spider's but, don't know which one is right for me?

Spider IV, Spider III, Spider II ??? (People say the older Spider models are better than IV)

Nd The Peavey's?

Vypyr, Express 112 (Blue Trim), Bandit ??

Thats what I just found on Craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/2497498090.html

(Should I get it???)
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

Spiders are terrible. All of them. They're fun at first because they have all the distortion and effects one might ever want, but if you play through one for a couple of months, you'll learn to hate them. They just sound bad.

As far as Vypyrs go, the tube ones are supposedly nice, but out of your price range new, might find a good deal on a used one. Express I don't know, Bandits are pretty mediocre.

And again, don't just go by brand, close to all popular amp-brands make everything from great gear to utter crap.

I'm assuming you live in New York?
Yeah, I do. Major city near me is NYC. And how about the Peavey Envoy 110? And Valve King 112?

And Imma start looking at Tubes then. Whats a TransTube? too. An amp said Combo Amp w/ Transtube

and Im like WTF?

And What are tubes? Whats so special about them?

And I like Spiders. They sound good w/ Synyster Custom's I heard ! Someone on youtube uses it and it sounds the best so far. But, I haven't heard no one with a Peavey w/ Synyster Custom. And Marshall also, sounds good w/ Synyster Custom but sounds too cheesey when you play solo's tho... =/
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

get a peavey 3476
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by Heaven Down
Yeah, I do. Major city near me is NYC. And how about the Peavey Envoy 110? And Valve King 112?

And Imma start looking at Tubes then. Whats a TransTube? too. An amp said Combo Amp w/ Transtube

and Im like WTF?

And I like Spiders. They sound good w/ Synyster Custom's I heard ! Someone on youtube uses it and it sounds the best so far. But, I haven't heard no one with a Peavey w/ Synyster Custom. And Marshall also, sounds good w/ Synyster Custom but sounds too cheesey when you play solo's tho... =/

Seriously, stop with saying "brand this sounds like that" and stuff like that. It makes no sense. Marshall has made dozens, if not hundreds of different amps over the years, so unless you specify what model you mean, nobody will know what you're talking about.

And I mean this as friendly as possible: I think you're pretty inexperienced. Your posts are all over the place... slow down a bit, man.

Youtube videos always sound different from what the gear sounds in real life, that just comes with recording. Naturally, the general low-quality of the videos or the fact that most people play them with low-grade computer-speakers doesn't help. Hard to judge an amp by clips alone.
That being said, I have not heard a clip of a Spider that I've liked so far (neither have I liked them when trying them at the store). If you have a link to the video you like the tone of, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Transtube-Peaveys are solid state amps that are designed to sound like tube-amps, but to cut it short, they don't. The few I've tried were either downright bad (Peavey Rage) or mediocre at best (Peavey Bandit). It's just a marketing-buzzword, don't bother with it.

See if you can talk this guy down a bit:
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/2482849938.html

I'll try looking for more.
Couple more things:
Don't know about the Envoy.
Peavey Valvekings are pretty bleh stock, but if you can find one for cheap, or one with an upgraded speaker, they're worth it.

Tubes are what precedes transistors, technology-wise. They're of little use in most modern applications, but for some audio-applications, especially guitar-amplification, they can produce great results.

A little more vintage-y in tone than would be ideal in your case I guess, but worth a shot:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/2507045489.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/2504614353.html

If still available, this'd be great for you:
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/2502551539.html
I found a Line 6 Spider II 75 Watt for $30 bucks. (The guy is moving to florida) -Pickup Only

and a Line 6 Spider III 30-Watt for $80 bucks - Pick up Only

and I found a Line 6 Spider IV 30-Watt for $100 Deliver or Meetup

on craigslist. The 1st 2 are far from me but, worth it but, I don't think my mom will drive that far @_@ but, If she can I will try and buy them.

And the 3rd one sounds really good and it's close by. He said $120 but, I talked him down to $100. So yeah.

AND!

You should look $50-$100 lower (The Quailman). I only have a budget of $200. And some ppl on craigslist will only go down about $50 bucks the most. =/

-Thanks for your help too, bro ! I appreciate it ( :

EDIT: I know alot about guitars. But, it's just I don't know about Amps that well. =/
I've been using the same amp ever since I started playing. But, I think it's time to get a better one. Ya know?
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

Well, Spiders are beginner-amps. For what they are, they're fine, but moving from one beginner-amp to another one, I don't know.

But heck, for 30 bucks, I'd take the II 75w. At least it's got a 12" speaker, which helps a lot compared to the 30w and 15w ones.

For 200, you'll have a hard time finding anything that isn't a beginner-model. A used Peavey Classic 20 maybe, though they're very rare and not ideal for heavy music.

Ugh. What is your amp? If it's really terrible, grab the Spider for $30 and then see if you can save up some more money... good high-gain amps are hard to come by on the cheap.

Is 280 bucks still acceptable? If so, here's a Line6 Flextone III, it does everything a Spider does, but ten times better:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2507841449.html
Discontinued model, but you can find them around 300 bucks used usually.
Wow, thats pretty awesome (:
Never heard of a Flextone. But, I seen demo's on youtube. Pretty neat.
I'mma contact that seller and talk him down to atleast $250 =/

And yeah, if he doesn't like my offer I'mma just get that Spider 75-Watt.

Thanks for the help Quailman ( :
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

Quote by Heaven Down
Wow, thats pretty awesome (:
Never heard of a Flextone. But, I seen demo's on youtube. Pretty neat.
I'mma contact that seller and talk him down to atleast $250 =/

And yeah, if he doesn't like my offer I'mma just get that Spider 75-Watt.

Thanks for the help Quailman ( :

if you really want a modeling amp PLEASE do it for yourself andgo for a used vypyr instead of a line 6 spider. line 6 makes good things but the spider series are seriously the worst amps i ever played on. and i am not exagerating. they sound muffled, as if there's a blanket on them their distorsion sounds are awefull, a vypyr at least has a decent sound for the type and price.

and yeah you heard that the line 6 sounds good with that synyster gates guitar. but it doesn't really, many beginners or people who do not care about the detail of their sound and just want TEH METALZ like line 6 cause it can do """"everything"""" and it ha sabsolutely no mid whatsoever.

but yeah if you think it sounds good, whatever it's your choice man UG is just warning you : p the name line 6 spider allways causes shitstorms.
Quote by Heaven Down
Whats wrong w/ my post ???

that you bought a Schecter Sysnter Gates guitar for starters......

you're better off saving up some cash and getting a decent amp, $300 aint gonna get you anything half decent realistically. around $600 you'll be able to get into some really nice used deals on Peavey 6505/5150, Peavey XXX/JSX, Mesa Rectoverb/Tremoverb, possibly some old JCM800 Marshalls, that way you'll be happier with your tone.

it means sucking up for a bit whilst you dont have an amp but its pretty much worth it. you'll be glad after you've saved up, you'll regret getting something crappy now and then having to save up cash later when you need it more
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Ughh. . . I like my Synyster Custom. Everyone has different taste. And I bet I'm pretty better than you in Guitar. . . 100 times better -_-

Thanks Quailman ( :,

I sent that guy with the Spider III 75-Watt for $30 another e-mail for 3rd time.
And finally e-mailed me. -__- !!! I said I was gonna go to him this time I just need it.
And he gave me his number and I talked to him and he said he's gonna be in the city tomorrow (: so, I'm gonna meet him up now. ( :

Everything works out ^_^

I got a GREAT! deal. I just saved ALOT of money. Hahaha
I'm gonna test it out and everything before I buy it of course

*Its in Mint Condition
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that dude be trollin' hard.

Your OP asked for opinions on what amp to get including Peaveys and every single person said don't get a spider but you ignored everyone. Have fun owning one of the worst amps you can get for the price and being a running joke to everyone with even half an ear for tone
Quote by Heaven Down
Ughh. . . I like my Synyster Custom. Everyone has different taste. And I bet I'm pretty better than you in Guitar. . . 100 times better -_-

Thanks Quailman ( :,

I sent that guy with the Spider III 75-Watt for $30 another e-mail for 3rd time.
And finally e-mailed me. -__- !!! I said I was gonna go to him this time I just need it.
And he gave me his number and I talked to him and he said he's gonna be in the city tomorrow (: so, I'm gonna meet him up now. ( :

Everything works out ^_^

I got a GREAT! deal. I just saved ALOT of money. Hahaha
I'm gonna test it out and everything before I buy it of course

*Its in Mint Condition

you's be trollinnnnnnnnnnn
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that dude be trollin' hard.

Your OP asked for opinions on what amp to get including Peaveys and every single person said don't get a spider but you ignored everyone. Have fun owning one of the worst amps you can get for the price and being a running joke to everyone with even half an ear for tone

Dont spiders handle the BROOTALZ
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
If you're only planning to use this amp at home, I would really back away from all of the high wattage amps. Look into a Blackstar HT-1, IMO, they are a great amplifier and very versatile. You can go for a Head+Cab, or just the 8in speaker combo.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Used Peavey Vypyr 60. It has tubes in it. It sounds better than the Spider for a fair price (especially used). Spiders sound so fake and plastic. If you ever play a nice amp and compare a Spider to it, it's like a cheese grater to your ear drums when you turn on any distortion.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I brought the spider for $30 yesterday.
Nd I'm not a bot -.-
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
15-Watt Ibanez Amp

Quote by Heaven Down

and Im like WTF?

dude you can't be this ignorant right? you seem to be the definition of n00b and don't realize it. take the time to look up tube amps we shouldn't have to explain this. youtube isn't even close to the best situation to judge sound especially from an amp. only been playing a year, well that probably doesn't make you the best judge either (not trying to be a dick we were all in this boat at the beginning).

transtube is just peaveys solid state tube emulation system and it's not all that tube like.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jul 24, 2011,
you guys are blatantly stupid.
Imagine 12 year old a7x fans, not imagine the one that would have his parents buy him a syn custom because gates is the best guitar choogler ever.
This is your boy.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by Heaven Down
I brought the spider for $30 yesterday.
Nd I'm not a bot -.-

well you'll be back in about 4 months saying WTF was i thinking and want us to go thru this again
He payed 30 bucks for it. That won't even get you a rimjob from the ugliest hooker in town.

Even if he's back in a month wanting something different, so what? It was just 30 bucks. He'll probably be able to sell it for three or four times that much.
Whe you're tired of the spider, sell it and get a Roland cube 20xl. They sound so much better than those itsy bitsy spider amps. You won't regret it.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 24, 2011,
Page 1 of 2