So I wrote this little riff, and it sounded really good, so I decided to write it down in GP.
Turned out it was in 9/8 time (unintentional). That translates to 9 8th notes instead of 8 like would be in a 4/4. So it feels extremely awkward to play, and improvise over.

Finding out the tempo with a metronome is really difficult (only have online ones) due to the funny time signature throwing me off.

Now I'm not aware of any way to offset this, but is there any simple way (other than just play in 9/8 a lot) to get used to this?

In hindsight this is a really dumb question....

Edit: Here is the riff, in F# minor. Its really fun to solo over after a while, but its a little choppy because of my lack of Guitar Pro skill.
Attachments:
Riff in 9 8 time.gp5
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Only way to get better at playing it is to play it. Just make sure you count as you play, as that gets your body and mind into the rhythm and it starts to become easy.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to count evenly in 9/8?!

I tried, I would know.

Where's Waldo?
Instead of thinking the 9/8 as a 4/4 bar with an extra 8th note, try approaching it like a 'traditional' 9/8 bar. Meaning - 3 groups of 3 8th notes. Essentially a waltz.

I tweaked the riff a bit and made one 16th note into a grace note so it would make more sense in that timing. I also added a rough drum pattern to indicate how you should count this. 9/8 is not actually THAT uncommon in classical music. It's used in waltzes.

I hope this helps! I had to change one rhythm in the riff to make it work like this, but I think it sounds fine.
Attachments:
Riff in 9 8 time.gp5
Hark! Is that a mellotron I hear?
Quote by chadreed32
Do you have any idea how hard it is to count evenly in 9/8?!

I tried, I would know.

I do actually... I've counted some very hard meters

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

It really isn't all that hard. If it helps, you can think of it as triplets in 3/4
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I do actually... I've counted some very hard meters

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

It really isn't all that hard. If it helps, you can think of it as triplets in 3/4

That's a lot easier. Thanks
Where's Waldo?
That's essentially what I wrote in the tab... :P
Hark! Is that a mellotron I hear?
Quote by Yachar
That's essentially what I wrote in the tab... :P

So it is
Where's Waldo?