Linky

Yes, I am aware that the rhythm under the sweeps sounds a shitload like Meshuggah. That's intentional.

This is a metal song I've been working on a while. It's pretty big and it's gonna be the third part to what looks like a four part series of songs. The second and fourth aren't done yet. This is the technical climax of the sequence. It's fast, heavy, and really technical. I've been at work on it for a few months now, so I'd really appreciate some feedback.

C4C, just leave me a link and I'll get back to you sometime soon.
I dig it. For all the technical lead work in this, you mixed the lead guitar way down. I would put the sweeping parts farther forward in the mix, to make them more audible. Your MIDI sounds are also a bit stiff and fake sounding, but there's not much you can do about that so I won't complain further. Otherwise, I think its quite well done. I really liked some of the off-kilter groves that showed up, especially the one around 1:10, and the neoclassical stuff that was happening around the 3:00-4:00 mark. The whole song gives off this unique kind of djenty power metal vibe, and while I hate djent, I love power metal, and the two seem to work quite well together.

As for C4C, you can refer to this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463219 Hardcore punk may not be quite your style, but I'd like to know what a variety of people think.
Actually, I really dig hardcore punk. The reason the leads were so low was that the lead tone I was using sounded worse and worse the louder I made it, so I put it just loud enough to hear. That, and I didn't want to focus to be on me wanking away, but rather the song as a whole.
Thanks for the reply in my thread. My first thoughts are that the drums are a little loud in the beginning. Especially the cymbals.. However the rhythms are interesting. The transitions to the piano was nice. Mix sounds pretty tight at 3:43. Great lead work around 4:30! I really don't know much about this genre so I don't know what to offer composition wise. From what I did hear, it sounded good! The midi instruments sound fake obviously but there's not much you can do about that unless you want to invest in some good VSTi's. Overall, good job!
Check out my music on my profile
Sounds cool man. You've got some killer leads and the stereo leads switching between the mono leads are a sick dynamic change. I thought it was pretty slick... The midi backgrounds are faker than silicon tits but it's hard to get those things to sound right anyways. I really dig the dream theater flow though, reminds me of Acid Rain for some reason (Must have been the diminished 7th you used).

Anyways cool stuff man
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I love this, awesome instrumental.
The interlude sounds great, very impressed by your the arrangement.
You should try to re-use some of the melody's from the interlude in the heavier passages. It all sounds great, however the drums are lacking color and power compared to the rest, may I ask how you recorded the drums?

Could you please check out my cover of Iridescent by Linkin Park?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463223
Or you could use the link in my signature.
I like it. The piano is a very nice contrast and works well and it has some very nice ideas in it! The piano and guitar harmony was a great touch. I dig it.

The guitar sounds a little muddy at times and conflicts with the drums. Im guessing your in a drop tuning so the frequencies could use a little more seperation. However the technical aspect is pretty damn good and the sweeping is smooth and clean so mega thumbs up!

I'd really like to hear all 4 parts together.

Regards,
Steve
Killing you for a smile
Quote by Ara Replica
I love this, awesome instrumental.
The interlude sounds great, very impressed by your the arrangement.
You should try to re-use some of the melody's from the interlude in the heavier passages. It all sounds great, however the drums are lacking color and power compared to the rest, may I ask how you recorded the drums?

Could you please check out my cover of Iridescent by Linkin Park?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463223
Or you could use the link in my signature.

The drums I programmed and exported straight out of TuxGuitar. It's hardly ideal, but it works well enough for now. As soon as I'm employed, I intend to get something a little more professional.

Quote by TigerSteve
The guitar sounds a little muddy at times and conflicts with the drums. Im guessing your in a drop tuning so the frequencies could use a little more seperation. However the technical aspect is pretty damn good and the sweeping is smooth and clean so mega thumbs up!

I'm using stock pickups on my RG7321, so some of the tone issues are from that. My rhythm tone turned out a little bassier than I'd wanted, but it worked well enough for the sound.

Anything of yours you want me to critique?
Wow, my head just nearly exploded with those sweeps! Some serious skill going on here.

I honestly can't say much apart from fantastic work mate. Everything seems to flow beautifully.
You can be proud of this mate as it is significantly better than 99.9% of all music I have ever listened to. It may alienate non musicians but so what, every musician knows how good it is.

Cheers for the comments on my track. I will be taking your suggestions into account to improve it.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Those sweeps are solid. I find it hard to follow with MIDI stuff going on (I can't talk). Epic song. Riffs are progressive. I like it.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Update:

I've rerecorded the song. The link in my signature is the latest version (and it sounds much better, IMO). Now that we've established that I abuse sweep picking, how's the production on the newer version as compared to the old one?
First, thanks for your suggestions about my song. It wasn't clear to me about the drums, I'm using what must be the dullest pair of speakers and the right one's real quiet. So, I'll fix the drums and even re-record it with a better distortion. I'll also try to better my writing

Your song is showing obvious traces of strong practice and preciseness behind your guitar playing, no doubt. Those sweeps rule, but I can't quite make out what the rhythm is doing for the most part. I'm guessing that it's just something's wrong with your distortion, did you use reverb or delay? Keys are nice and classical sounding, MIDI is tough to listen to but I'm not complaining about that. The good of it ya get is the sound of your composition put together so I don't mind your MIDI sounds. 10/10 awesome song

Check out my new recording?
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/touke/music/all/play1026682
Last edited by touke at Jul 24, 2011,
The guitar tones still aren't where I want them right now, but they'll do. I'm still using stock pups, so I'll blame them for any inadequacies until I change them. :p. At some point, I mean to swap out pups and find a piano player to do those parts on here. I hate using Midi sounds, but I'm kind of stuck with them for now, considering I'm no pianist.

Question: was my tone better the first or second time? How might I improve it? I'm running podfarm. I'll post my settings when I get back to my recording rig, but I'll take any general suggestions in that area if you've got 'em.
Quote by Geldin
The guitar tones still aren't where I want them right now, but they'll do. I'm still using stock pups, so I'll blame them for any inadequacies until I change them. :p. At some point, I mean to swap out pups and find a piano player to do those parts on here. I hate using Midi sounds, but I'm kind of stuck with them for now, considering I'm no pianist.

Question: was my tone better the first or second time? How might I improve it? I'm running podfarm. I'll post my settings when I get back to my recording rig, but I'll take any general suggestions in that area if you've got 'em.

The quality of the guitars in the newer version are about the same I think, except better equalized volumes. I might be able to increase the quality of those keys of yours. I was thinking that since I converted my MIDI drums with EZDrummer, I just might be able to convert the strings on Frailty Is The Aegis with Fl9 Studio's string presets. Let me know, and I'll give you my email once I've figured out how.
I keep meaning to get all kinds of better stuff for recording, but then I realize that I have no money. What the recordings forums need is a thread in which we can just upload tracts and then people with programs like EZDrummer could go in and convert. Damn, that sounds communist.