I am pretty sure this song i am learning is in d minor...a Bb is the only flat being played...the other notes are natural notes...but when it comes to the solo section...the rhythm guitar is playing a riff with Bb and Dbs in it while the solo guitar is also playing Bb notes and Db notes...

I was just wondering why Db seems to work with this song...is it borrowed from the parallel major? Or something else?

Thankyou if you can help!
It's more likely to be a C#. The major seventh degree is often used in minor key music along with its minor form (ditto for the sixth).
i believe that's c# minor.....but dont quote me on that.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Dodeka
It's more likely to be a C#. The major seventh degree is often used in minor key music along with its minor form (ditto for the sixth).

Thankyou for the response...can you just elaborate on major seventh and major sixth from the minor form...By major seventh, do you simply mean the seventh note in the parallel major key (and 6th note in the major key) is used in the minor scale in place of the minor scale's 6th and seventh degree?
It's more accurately a C#, the leading tone. It's commonly used in minor scales. You can view it as being from the harmonic minor.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i believe that's c# minor.....but dont quote me on that.

c# minor has a Bb, Eb and Ab
^Yeah, nothing to do with C# minor.
Quote by dvm25
Thankyou for the response...can you just elaborate on major seventh and major sixth from the minor form...By major seventh, do you simply mean the seventh note in the parallel major key (and 6th note in the major key) is used in the minor scale in place of the minor scale's 6th and seventh degree?

Yes, that's what he/she meant by major seventh, which is also known as the leading tone (don't know if I was clear enough in the previous post). It's very commonly used. The major sixth isn't used as often, though. Check out stuff about the harmonic and melodic minor scales if you want to get a bit more familiar with this.
Last edited by sickman411 at Jul 21, 2011,
Definitely will, thanks so much for the help.

Quote by sickman411
^Yeah, nothing to do with C# minor.

Yes, that's what he/she meant by major seventh, which is also known as the leading tone (don't know if I was clear enough in the previous post). It's very commonly used. The major sixth isn't used as often, though. Check out stuff about the harmonic and melodic minor scales if you want to get a bit more familiar with this.
Quote by dvm25
By major seventh, do you simply mean the seventh note in the parallel major key (and 6th note in the major key) is used in the minor scale in place of the minor scale's 6th and seventh degree?

Yes, it can be thought of that way.
Quote by dvm25

nope. C# minor has F#, C#, G#, D#, and B# (as a leading tone). yes. there's a difference between D# and Eb. that's the entire pretense of this thread. and i don't know where you're getting Bb from.

as people have pointed out, it's more likely to be a C#, the leading tone to D.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
nope. C# minor has F#, C#, G#, D#, and B# (as a leading tone). yes. there's a difference between D# and Eb. that's the entire pretense of this thread. and i don't know where you're getting Bb from.

as people have pointed out, it's more likely to be a C#, the leading tone to D.

whoops I was referring to C minor...youre right...C# minor has those notes.
Quote by dvm25

my bad....i was stoned outta my mind when i posted that. everything mades sense then ...
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by dvm25
I am pretty sure this song i am learning is in d minor...a Bb is the only flat being played...the other notes are natural notes...but when it comes to the solo section...the rhythm guitar is playing a riff with Bb and Dbs in it while the solo guitar is also playing Bb notes and Db notes...

I was just wondering why Db seems to work with this song...is it borrowed from the parallel major? Or something else?

Thankyou if you can help!

That note [C#] is from the the D HARMONIC minor scale. It's still in D minor.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by dvm25
whoops I was referring to C minor...youre right...C# minor has those notes.

It isnt C minor either...

That's C Eb and G
Quote by deHufter
It isnt C minor either...

That's C Eb and G

keys, not chords.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
C# is borrowed from D major scale; Serves as leading tone, the point of having this note in the scale is so that the v chord in minor can become a V chord for a V i cadence instead of a v i cadence. Dominant chords just resolve stronger. Harmonic minor contains this leading tone or #7. Melodic minor does as well. The difference is that Melodic minor also has a #6 to avoid the augmented second interval (Bb to C#) that gives Harmonic minor an Egyptian sound.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.