Within the next couple months I am going to order a 4x12 cab from Avatar and I'm not sure which speakers I want to get it loaded with. My old Crate cab had 4 16 ohm Celestion G12T-75 speakers in it, and I thought they were pretty good.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever played through the G12K100 speakers and how they sound compared to the 75s.

I would be running the cab with a Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo head, and the stuff I have been currently writing is kind of a mixture of Tool, Protest the Hero, Mudvayne, pretty much hard rock/metal.

Also, does it matter what ohms the speakers are? Like would I be better off getting 8 ohms instead of 16? I never really understood too much about this stuff, I just plugged in my shit and played, haha.
I have a mix of G12K100s and Vintage 30s in my Emperor 4x12 and it's the greatest combo I've ever heard in my life. The GK100s have an insanely huge, but tight lowend and is much less scooped than the G12T-75s, overall just a much better sounding speaker than the 75s, especially with a Recto.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I believe that was the speaker used in the 400-watt Marshall Mode Four cabinet. Lots of low end; good heavy distortion sounds. It should go well with your Mesa Dual Rectifier.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
from sound samples, it sounds better than V30s to my ears. Im thinking i might sell my 4x12 to get a 2x12 with 2 of those speakers
Quote by neversleeps84
I was just wondering if anyone has ever played through the G12K100 speakers and how they sound compared to the 75s.

I would be running the cab with a Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo head, and the stuff I have been currently writing is kind of a mixture of Tool, Protest the Hero, Mudvayne, pretty much hard rock/metal.

it'll get ya there. i used the K series for a while, awesome speakers. they can be a bit stiff or sterile sounding, but luckily they mix well (as matrixclaw attests to). great low end though. they are the same speaker currently used in the orange 4x12HP. i wanna say diezel runs the speaker in a few cabs as well.

Quote by neversleeps84
Also, does it matter what ohms the speakers are? Like would I be better off getting 8 ohms instead of 16? I never really understood too much about this stuff, I just plugged in my shit and played, haha.

lets strip the question of opinion on tone. addressing from a purely utilitarian perspective you'll want to make sure the head and cab work together.

i see your recto solo head has
-1x 16 ohm out
-2x 8 ohm out
-2x 4 ohm out

this means you have the option of running:
- one 16 ohm cab (through the 16 ohm out)
- two 16 ohm cabs(through the 8 ohm outs)
- one 8 ohm cab(through an 8 ohm out)
- two 8 ohm cabs(through the 4 ohm outs)
-one 4 ohm cab(through a 4 ohm out)

and that is what i am basing my advice on

i'd get 16 ohm speakers. in a 4x12 (it will be rated at 16 ohms) this will make it so you can add another cab using both 8 ohm outs (a higher impedance speaker also makes the amp do less work and run a bit cooler). in a 2x12 (it will be rated at 8 ohms) you would wire them in parallel, that way if one speaker goes down in the cab the entire circuit won't just break and your head will still be sending a signal to at least one speaker.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
It's a great speaker to mix tons of bottom end.....alittle flat on the top side.
Damn, lotta responses, haha. Thanks for the input everyone, it has helped alot. I'm gonna go with a 16 ohm G12K100 set, seems to be a good option. Thanks again!
Diezel do indeed use the G12K100's. Its standard now in the Einstein combo and they currently recommend using them frontloaded in a 4x12.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Im pretty sure that John Kempainen and Brian Eschbach used G12K100s with there rectos.
If you dont know who they are your not metal enough lol.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean