so it's perhaps time for a new guitar...
my gear is
Marshall JVM 215c (high end tube amp)
Gibson SG special (my baby)

So I'm searching for a really metal/(dare I say Djenty) tone but on a low budget...
I've been looking at perhaps getting a cheap ish guitar maybe an epiphone les paul custom or an ibanez rga32.. something around the £250-300 area and fit it with something like a bareknuckle aftermath/cold sweat or dimarzio liquifire/crunch lab

firstly will giving an awesome pickup to a guitar like that be like giving a 5 year old a mansion?
Will I be better off putting he money for a good pickup towards the guitar instead?

Would I be better off putting the money towards a set of new pups for my SG along with a noise gate distortion pedal etc (baring in mind the tone on my sg is fantastic for rock/clean)

My budget is £450

Quite a lot of info there but if you can make sense of it please share your thoughts

Thanks

Oh and please excuse the terrible username... I made this account a while ago
Quote by ll A7X ll
terrible username

I don't know anything about the pickups, but I can agree with you on this one
Quote by ll A7X ll
terrible username

+1

And if you want Djent why are you looking at things with less strings than 7?

Edit: pick up a RG7321 (new or used) and put new pickups in it. Grab a Nailbomb 7.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 21, 2011,
Had an rg7620 for about 4 months. It was fun but the extra string fad wore off quickly and it eventually just got annoying.
Quote by ll A7X ll
Had an rg7620 for about 4 months. It was fun but the extra string fad wore off quickly and it eventually just got annoying.

Looks like you need 8 strings then...
Where's Waldo?
So long as you get one that feels right, then there's no reason to not swap out the pickups. It will make a difference and there's a load of examples of cheap guitars with good pickups in that end up sounding great.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey