Hey y'all.
I've been playing bass for maybe about four years now and I seem to be hitting a bit of a wall with my practising and motivation to do so.

Now, while I am technically quite sound I'm not musically sound, in fact I suck copious amounts of ass in that department (Timing sucks, struggle to hold grooves, musically a really slow learner. So I'm a pretty crap bass player) because I'll be the first to admit that I don't practice right.

So I've been trying to improve my timing, my consistency, music theory, improvising, establishing grooves and so on (without actually knowing where to start with any of them to be perfectly honest). However I seem to have hit a major wall and can't seem to feel the need to practice any more and no matter how much I have forced myself to practice I feel like I'm getting nothing out of it and I just end up putting my bass down. This has been going on for a little while and I feel like I'm just going backwards.

I don't know whether it is because I'm used to just jumping into the more technical stuff and I'm just getting bored without realising or I'm being disillusioned by people I know who are more accomplished or my own lack of skill after four years is starting to get to me or whatever may be sapping my motivation.

Tl;Dr Would anyone be able to suggest some effective methods of practice/anything that may help me get a sense of motivation again?
Thanks.
"A party? I came here for a party, and what happened? Nothing. Not even ice cream. The Gods look down and laugh..." - Captain Spaulding
Metronome.
Or a drum machine if you want something more interesting.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Degitech BP-80
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3
DOD FX91 OD
Traynor Dynabass 200
If you're able to, jam with other people. It will help loads.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Quote by MetallicSka

Yeah, I've been looking into that as well.
I've done that a couple of times with friends, but my friends who play instruments are freakishly good and I just can't keep up and end up cramping them. Also, they have all played in bands and the like, I've never actually played with anyone else before.
"A party? I came here for a party, and what happened? Nothing. Not even ice cream. The Gods look down and laugh..." - Captain Spaulding
Quote by MetallicSka

This will help, and making up little grooves and runs to your favorite songs can help. If you're looking for more theory type stuff, check your local guitar shop and see what bass books and materials they have. There and lots of books and methods out there to help with that sort of stuff and you can find some neat ones that can be interesting and easy to practice.

And really the best way to get better at playing with people is to just play with people, even if they're a lot better than you, you'll still pick up things from them and most importantly get experience
Last edited by ePOWsa at Jul 21, 2011,
I'd say take a break from anything tedious or boring. Just play a bunch of fun stuff, write little riffs, play along to songs you like, etc. Once you get back into the swing of it go back to whatever else you might want to achieve that might take work though.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
If they are you're friends they should be fine jamming with you, it might make you nervous, but it's the best thing to do. Playing with others gets you in the group mentality of music, let's you hear yourself in basses natural habitat, and also from a learning standpoint it's much better to be the inexperienced one around good players, than the inexperienced one around new players. You'll learn very quickly trust me, all that nervous dread that you might slip up will push you into overdrive and you will be picking things up like that.
I'd look into getting a teacher maybe if your at a brick wall with your playing. Also, the idea of playing with other people is always good, if the players are better than you, even better because you will have to really up your game to keep up! Im sure they will be more than happy to help.
Nothing motivates me more than having a teacher and playing with people. I tend to get caught in the doldrums of unfocused and overly self evaluating practice otherwise.

And Mr. Claypool once said, playing with people who are much better and much worse than you; you'll learn from both.