I was looking to buy a MIM Strat, but feel that the quality of them aren't quite as high as the MIM Strats of the late 80s and 90s. And instead of buying a used guitar off eBay or something risky of that sort, I'm interested in looking at other brands that offer the same basic Strat formula at a price under $500 or $600 maximum. Might as well discuss Tele alternatives too.

Thanks!
eBay is awesome for used guitars. Just pay attention to feedback, and know what model you are buying so you can read the reviews. If the seller seems fishy, like hardly enough pics or no details, avoid them. And if you have questions that aren't answered in the description, ask!

eBay has a buyer protection thing, so if the seller lies, they have to give a refund. And I'm sure they get punished in some way if it's really bad, like the wrong product or not shipping it.

Anyway, there is a ton of strats on eBay for cheap, Japanese ones as well.

If you aren't going to do the eBay thing, the Squier classic vibe series is great value for your cash.
I think that the Classic Vibe Squires kill anything that the Mexico plant puts out. I don't really care for any strat or tele copies. Instead I will recommend Japanese made Fender Telecasters as they play better than American made Strats. They sound better too, even with stock pickups. The sustain is better than a Strat's and the necks are better too.......... hmmmmmmm, I am forgetting that this is not a strat bashing forum. In that case, All I will say is that I would rather play my squire strat than the Mexican Strat that I sold a year ago (2003 special edtion 50's reissue with custom color).
Anyone else? I'm almost looking for something that's in between the MIM Strat and the American strat in price point. You may ask "Why not just get a Fender?" I'm weird in that when I'm on stage, I don't want to be playing what everyone else is playing.
Quote by zucky22389
Anyone else? I'm almost looking for something that's in between the MIM Strat and the American strat in price point. You may ask "Why not just get a Fender?" I'm weird in that when I'm on stage, I don't want to be playing what everyone else is playing.

your basic problem is that there really isn't anything that meets your criteria. fender copies tend to be cheapies or high end like a Suhr. if you don't want to be like "everyone else" then getting a copy certainly isn't the way to go. if it isn't something nice all that says is "this guy can't afford a real one". your playing should be what makes you stand out from the crowd not your guitar.
MIM's are great guitars with some upgrades. Find a used MIM and throw a couple hundred in it and you will be at your price point with a great guitar.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
LTD Vintage Plus? Pretty damn sweet for the cost from what I hear.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-distressed/st-203.html
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by Radtastic89
You could find a used Fender 51' thats a Fender Strat body with a Tele neck. A single neck pickup and a humbucker bridge.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Pawn-Shop--51-Electric-Guitar-106833650-i1858044.gc

If you can find a used copy of a guitar that's been out for only 4 months, I would say jump on that.

However, being that the '51 only became available this March, your options maybe somewhat limited.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by monwobobbo
your basic problem is that there really isn't anything that meets your criteria. fender copies tend to be cheapies or high end like a Suhr. if you don't want to be like "everyone else" then getting a copy certainly isn't the way to go. if it isn't something nice all that says is "this guy can't afford a real one". your playing should be what makes you stand out from the crowd not your guitar.

It doesn't have to look like a strat at all, just offer a nice single-coil and versatile tone.
Quote by zucky22389
It doesn't have to look like a strat at all, just offer a nice single-coil and versatile tone.

i can't think of anything like that in your prce range, maybe someone else can think of somehting i missed. the vast majority of single coil based guitars (non p-90) seem to be based on fender designs. PRS just put out a new guitar that is SSS and sounds great but it's 2 grand.
Quote by kangaxxter
If you can find a used copy of a guitar that's been out for only 4 months, I would say jump on that.

However, being that the '51 only became available this March, your options maybe somewhat limited.

I jumped on Ebay after I posted that and there where a few Ebay stores that had them at $799 but also accept best offer so you could maybe get it at $650.
G&L Tribute series they are as good or better than most lowend USA Fenders.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

i already mentioned G&L but the OP didn't seem interested.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Well, most high-end MIM Fenders are as good or better than most low-end USA Fenders.

G&L Tributes are decent enough guitars in their own right, but G&L's don't start getting significantly better than Fenders until you start getting into G&L USA versus Fender USA.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Well, most high-end MIM Fenders are as good or better than most low-end USA Fenders.

G&L Tributes are decent enough guitars in their own right, but G&L's don't start getting significantly better than Fenders until you start getting into G&L USA versus Fender USA.

Well this is where opinions come into play, and the reason they have so many models to choose from.

And even though I am not a fender fan,I would pit a cheap USA Fender over a top of the line Mexi model any day.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by zucky22389
I was looking to buy a MIM Strat, but feel that the quality of them aren't quite as high as the MIM Strats of the late 80s and 90s. And instead of buying a used guitar off eBay or something risky of that sort, I'm interested in looking at other brands that offer the same basic Strat formula at a price under $500 or $600 maximum. Might as well discuss Tele alternatives too.

Thanks!

Fender didn't make guitars in mexico until the early 90's and you'd be better off staying away from them anyway. They upgraded the MIM line in '08 i think and i think you'll find they are exellent guitars for the money.
Quote by Robbgnarly
And even though I am not a fender fan,I would pit a cheap USA Fender over a top of the line Mexi model any day.

I would say that it depends on the model. Considering the only "cheap" USA Fenders are the Highway One and the American Special, there's a 50% chance that a MIM Fender will be better* than a USA Fender.

(*Noticeably better overall, not because of this "the only feature that matters is X and it's better on this guitar making this guitar better" BS)

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi