Okay, I'm sure there have been numerous threads along these lines, but I'm lazy and don't like the searchbar haha. Anyway, In a few months, I'm going to playing a song infront of a bunch of people.
Last time I played infront of this same group, I got told by a few of my friends that I should have sang. Well, I got no problems getting up on stage and playing guitar, but I'm very self conscious of my voice. How can I overcome this, and just go up there and do it?

The song is Tied My Hands, by Saron Gas for anyone who cares :P

Thanks in advance
Quote by Mainer
overcome this, and just go up there and do it

there's your answer right there.
Take some lessons if you're serious about singing. You have plenty of time, and if you're worrying about how you are going to sound, taking lessons can't hurt. Also, worrying about it, won't make you a better singer. All you just need to do is prepare yourself.
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
Best thing to do is sing in front of 1 or 2 of your best mates, then maybe your family, then finally just jerk off to cool your nerves, thats how i started and now i feel like its easy, being honest though what it came down to was me looking in the mirror and saying to myself sackup man, and i sang in front of this girl i liked and ended up knee deep in the goo, hope this helps man.
Quote by CoCoPoPz
Best thing to do is sing in front of 1 or 2 of your best mates, then maybe your family, then finally just jerk off to cool your nerves, thats how i started and now i feel like its easy, being honest though what it came down to was me looking in the mirror and saying to myself sackup man, and i sang in front of this girl i liked and ended up knee deep in the goo, hope this helps man.
There it is. Singing gets you laid. So, TS, the answer is yes. Sing.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
Knee-deep? You kids are doing it weird nowadays...

Anyway, follow all the above advice. But also if you get a chance, just do a quick recording of yourself to hear how you sound to other people.

Have you ever heard your voice played back to you? Sounds weird right? You have to get used to that.
I think all singers are self-conscious at first.

Part of the reason is that only YOU have your voice. We can buy a Les Paul or a Fender Twin Reverb and get "that sound", but your voice is your own. It's very personal. Combine that with the fact that, unless you record yourself and play it back, you really have no idea what you actually sound like to others. It's a weird combination.

Another part of the reason is that, as the singer, you are both the messenger and the focal point of the performance. Guitar players watch guitar players, but most people are focused on the singers. That's a bit daunting. They are also listening to what you have to say, and whether the song is yours or not is irrelevant - they are still judging you as the messenger. That can be daunting too.

The solution involves a few things:
-practice getting up and doing it in front of people. It's harder to do it in front of your family and friends than it is a room full of strangers, though.
-record yourself and play it back. This will allow you to assess how good your performance is (or isn't....), and if it IS good, should give you some confidence. It will also give you a sense on how others are hearing you, and how you'll even sound hearing yourself back through the PA when you sing, if you are using one. Even that can be disorienting at first.
-pick songs that you are comfortable with lyrically.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Good song choice. And I agree with a lot of the posts above me.

I'm extremely self-conscious about my voice, but I made a youtube recently and people have been telling me that I'm pretty good which has been helping a lot.

I think the best way to get over it is definately just go out and do it. Maybe try some open mic nights just go by yourself or practice with a friend or two and go play. That way even if you suck a nut no one will really know/care or give you shit for it.
Dont sing until youre ready - thats one of the mountains from here to there man, welcome to my world. My singing was very tentative at first...confidence and comfort built from every show. My voice is my weakest instrument, so I have to put a lot of work into it for sure, and Im still not where I want to be ideally. I want total freedom in my voice to sing how Im hearing things. I have lots of times where I can do that and others where its more of a fight. I guess for me is I'm aware of these, and so I can be realistic about what I can do and what I cannot and just continue working behind the scenes to get better, and understanding that its a process and Ill get back what I put into it, and if I don't put anything into it, I deserve nothing back.

Best,

Sean