does anyone know any bands that use a floyd rose that aren't metal/shred? i've had a floyd rose guitar since christmas and never actually learned a song that uses it, with the exception of a bad version of knights of cydonia
Joe Satriani

Literally tons of stuff by him. If you try to tell me he's metal I will destroy you... Not really. But learn some. He's god, and also the best guitarist of all time.
Where's Waldo?
i would classify joe satriani as shred personally

i heard the guy out of journey used one to for weird style rhythm playing, that's more what i want
Last edited by teh_goon at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by teh_goon
i would classify joe satriani as shred personally

i heard the guy out of journey used one to for weird style rhythm playing, that's more what i want

Joe Satriani is not (commonly) shred, Paul Gilbert shreds. And he does have songs that not even you could consider "shred".

And don't even get me started on *******. Weird. Why did it censor that? Oh yeah, CAUSE THEY SUCK! Don't stop Believin' is the worst song I've ever heard in my life. It makes me ever time I hear it! (If you wan't a full description of my nightmares of that song, just ask, but it will take a while).
Where's Waldo?
I never really found a floyd rose to be all that vital to my playing, it only really ever seemed to spice things up a bit, not make up the sound as a whole. Its a personal preference as to where you use it basically. And you are correct, his name is Neil Schon, and don't listen to the douchebag above me, Journey rocks. What Neil does is use "hang overtime", where it kinda sounds like there are two guitar simultaneously playing at once. I'm sorry that I cannot really name any songs specifically ( the only songs I can truly remember ever using a floyd rose for are Sister Christian by Night Ranger and Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam ) but I can recommend some good artists to look into for what you are looking for - Eddie Van Halen, Neil Schon, Alex Lifeson, Steve Vai, and Brad Gillis.
Quote by teh_goon
does anyone know any bands that use a floyd rose that aren't metal/shred? i've had a floyd rose guitar since christmas and never actually learned a song that uses it, with the exception of a bad version of knights of cydonia

Check out some Steve Vai if you want Floyd Rose abuse. Or maybe some southwestern or surf music? I know that the Fender-style tremolos get some use in those two, though a full FR system is really unnecessary for smaller flutters.

Really, I don't know of many non-metal guitarists who use the Floyd Rose to quite the extent that metal players do. I'll tell you this: in my opinion, the best part of having a Floyd system is having the locking nut (you don't have to tune as often). I've never found much use for the actual vibrato system.
Quote by Geldin
Check out some Steve Vai if you want Floyd Rose abuse. Or maybe some southwestern or surf music? I know that the Fender-style tremolos get some use in those two, though a full FR system is really unnecessary for smaller flutters.

Really, I don't know of many non-metal guitarists who use the Floyd Rose to quite the extent that metal players do. I'll tell you this: in my opinion, the best part of having a Floyd system is having the locking nut (you don't have to tune as often). I've never found much use for the actual vibrato system.

If he thinks Satch is shred, he definitely will think Vai is shred.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Joe Satriani is not (commonly) shred, Paul Gilbert shreds. And he does have songs that not even you could consider "shred".

And don't even get me started on *******. Weird. Why did it censor that? Oh yeah, CAUSE THEY SUCK! Don't stop Believin' is the worst song I've ever heard in my life. It makes me ever time I hear it! (If you wan't a full description of my nightmares of that song, just ask, but it will take a while).

Joe satriani is good, one of my favorite guitar players. Most of his songs arent shred but some are. I would more likely describe him as instrumental rock or something.

On another topic, journey dosent suck, neither are they good. It comes down to opinion really. But don´t stop believin' is overrated, that i can agree on. They have way better songs.
i was using journey more as an example than a personal preference. it seems there just aren't many people who use floyd rose's in a non-metal setting. i suppose at least that will make me sound more unique

and yes i do consider steve vai to be shred guitar, and bad shred guitar at that
He's the first to come to mind on FR abuse, though. I'm no fan, but he's got some crazy chops and he's hardly "bad", just wanky live. But that's his thing.

Really, the FR and similar trems are popular in metal, but not quite as much anywhere else. You might find some Scorpions or EVH songs with divebombs in them, but you'd still probably consider that metal or shred, so I'll save myself the breath.