How many of you grew up in a household where the main language spoken was not English

Poll: ?
Poll Options
View poll results: ?
I did
39 35%
I did not
60 54%
My family mixed languages up all the time
12 11%
Voters: 111.
...or the dominant language of the country you live in if you live outside of an Anglo country.

Just wondering.
I grew up here in the US but the language spoken at home was always Portuguese.

edit: Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_bilingualism
Interesting read. At young ages, kids have a hard time differentiating between both of their native languages. Explains why I mixed up all my sentences when I was little.
Last edited by Masamune at Jul 21, 2011,
My entire family is Colombian, so it was Spanish all the time. However, since I lived for quite a while in the US, I grew accustomed to talking to my parents in English, so now my parents talk to me in Spanish and I respond in English and people look at us weird anywhere in the world.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Spanish and English all day errrey day, Playa.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
My family spoke Spanish

I basically learned English from TV.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm russian, so we mostly talk in russian at home with parents, but I talk in english to my sibings.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
I grew up in a totally English household, but when I went over to my grandparents my dad and my grandparents sometimes spoke in German.
My family speaks Spanish.

I learned English in school and from things like videogames, movies and TV
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by cccp2006
I'm russian, so we mostly talk in russian at home with parents, but I talk in english to my sibings.

Similar thing to me. I speak in Portuguese with all my older relatives and English with the younger ones.
Growing up my parents spoke only Vietnamese, which is the language I use to communicate with them. For some reason as my brother grew up he never learned Vietnamese, and my parents just started using english. It's sort of weird because I still talk to my parents in Vietnamese (adding lots of english words in between, since my Vietnamese isn't the best), but when it's with my brother it's all in english.

When I was in grade 2-3 though I did have trouble differentiating between Vietnamese and English though, so I had to take extra english classes at my school for people having trouble with english. I guess growing up with two different languages was the cause.
My dad spoke to me (very rarely) in Mo-he-cun-uk, our tribal language. I only picked up two things from it; 'hello' (au-shung-wei) and 'dog' (ya-ta-hey).
In my house we spoke American.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I grew up speaking Spanish to my parents and English to everyone else. Nowadays though I mostly speak in English to my parents since they can understand me pretty well.
I was only exposed to American in my household as well. I have a romanticized idea of being multilingual but it's too much work to learn properly and I can't be bothered with it.
If you don't speak American, then GET OUT!
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
i speak mando all the time at home, but my english is better and my mando sounds fail to other chinese people

i need to step it up if i want to geet fob girls...
When I was growing up, my parents spoke to me in Tamil for the most part.
Once I moved to Mumbai around 15 years ago, it became this weird mix of English and Tamil. Most days we interchange what we speak pretty freely.
My mom always spoke in Spanish while my dad always spoke in English unless he was speaking to my mom. It was always mixed.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by metaldud536
Get out from where?

His anus.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I didn't grow up with anything besides English.

But sometimes my gramma will throw Polish into her sentences
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Yes, Finnish. But not from birth.

People bilingual from birth have many intellectual advantages, are on average more intelligent and can concentrate better at school, as a result of being able to filter out unwanted information in speech (figuring out which language you are talking in and only using words from that language) from a young age.
My parents taught me Tamil and Spanish when I was little but when I started going to kindergarten I had to learn English to communicate with everyone else so I kinda forgot how to speak Tamil and Spanish.

Now, my parents/other relatives speak to me in Tamil and I reply in English. And I relearned Spanish in school.
cat
German, because my mom was German and my Portuguese father passed away when I was young.

So at home I spoke a lot of German and then Portuguese because I was living in Portugal. However, at a very early age I picked up on english very easily due to my mom speaking it and watching English tv. By the time I was 12 I spoke English better than Portuguese.
My family is entirely from India, although i live in Sweden, so i grew up with Swedish and Bengali as my main languages, and picked up English by watching American cartoons
Spanish, as both my mom and dad came from Mexico.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
What language was spoken depended on how angry my parents were. Most the time it was English, but when they argued or I got in trouble it would be Spanish or Portuguese coming at me.
Well my parents both speak Arabic, and that's what I grew up hearing...yet somehow I managed to end up with better English than Arabic
Both my parents speak Portuguese , and i leanrd english by myself ..
I'm surprised of how many people speak portuguese here !