Hey all, I've been a little depressed on the bass side of life lately. I am improving at a decent pace, been playing for about a year now, have a decent amount of songs and theory under my belt, I just feel extremely dull creatively. Now, whenever somebody puts a set of chord changes in front of me I usually can come up with a line relatively easily, however when im just thrown into the creative process, with no guide, nothing to go by, I usually come up with something pretty repetitive, its not bad, just you know, boring, bland, blah, take your pick. Question is, is this a typical problem and just something I'll have to learn to overcome? And any reccomended way in which to fix it? When learning a song, I try to either learn it by ear, or I'll look up a tab and then go get the chord changes from a guitar tab, so I can try to see how all the notes fit together, just like it would be in most books I work out of but I still don't feel like I'm getting too far. Just wondering if I'm alone in this or not, thanks!
Yes, you can get out of the rut.

Take that typical, repetitive pattern and add a fill in every few bars.

Then try altering the voicing of the chord with the bass note.

Throw in a rest in place of note to break up the beat some.

Transpose the line to the relative major or minor key, moving into it with a scalar "walk-up".

Double some notes occasionally during a repeat.

You aren't alone, I need to apply these very ideas in my own writing. Thanks for inspiring me!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 21, 2011,
Thanks for the suggestions i followed you everywhere except on the altering the bass notes voicing, could you explain what that means?
Oh wow this thread has kinda helped me too.

You should definitely the relative major and minor keys to walk up that improved my basslines alot.
Apparently this is a signature

Yessir it is
Sometimes you just get stuck in a rut. The the advice so far has been great, I'd add on that if you can find anyone to play with try to do so, it helps tremendously creatively and experience wise. Also if you can afford it, try another instrument perhaps, it really helps when I don't feel like playing bass to play some guitar or band some drums. sometimes you find a riff on guitar or a drum beat that just sounds perfect and you know exactly how to compliment it. record and write a song or jam track. Another Idea, go to pandora or youtube, and just go to an artist you think you're into, and just explore from there to the next video to the next until you're onto a completely new music to you, and you'll be eager to start experimenting. Getting bored is natural to any art form, but it's getting through the tedious times that makes you great, I believe Hendrix said something to that effect.
For me bass out of context is tough - it's easy when you've got something to follow, but to build a good groove based on a chord progression that you create...for me that's tough.

I've got a guitar progressions book showing some progressions in different styles - these make for good guides in at least providing the progression. I find it easier to make a bass line/groove with at least the chord progression in place.
Alright, done some dabbling today over chord progressions. I understand what the relative major/minor is, however I'm having difficulty figuring out how its useful or relavent. Explainations please?

Also, is the best way to write fills to transition between chords to use what notes both chords/scales share? For example, I'm playing the root for a D chord going to an E minor, I play the root on beat 1, then an F# on beat 2, G on beat 3, and then D again on the 4th beat, then hit the E on beat 1 of the next measure. In other words, I used the 3rd, 4th, and root of the D-major scale, which was also the 2nd, flat 3rd, and flat 7th of the E minor. Sorry if that was confusing, just trying to improve here
Really glad for this thread as well, we all apparently get stuck in a rut at times !!!!!!!!!! I was stuck and kinda frustrated a few months ago, but I got over it. It wasn't really by reading theory or anything, quite the contrary instead. I just loosened up, tried all kinda shit on the bass when I felt like it, rockin out! sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's about having fun right ;-D

As long as you're rehearsing you can **** around with the bass as you please man Keep the good, discard the bad, but keep JAMMIN! Works for me!
Oh yeah, and listen to other bassists you like, you can learn a lot from borrowing/stealing ( ) licks and fills!