I know I must sound like half the people in this section with the "How I B best sweepurz 2 secondz frum nao?"

But I want to pick up sweeping for a song I'm learning. or.... trying to learn...

Legions of the serpent - The Faceless
I'm guess I'll get a lot of "give up" or "start with a 3 string sweep"

This one is the sweep at the VERY beginning of the song and it's basically all down sweeps

this is the first part and the same pattern is used for the other parts

---------------------14-18----------------------------
-----------------16------------------------------------
-------------15----------------------------------------
---------16--------------------------------------------
-14-18------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas?? Tips? whatever works I guess, thanks in advance guys
Usually, to get sweeps down, play it the cleanest and as slow as you need it to get it perfect, and the gradually increase the speed

Use a metronome or play with guitar pro's different speeds

Left hand's fingers the closest to the fretboard as possible

Use a sharp pick, gets cleaner notes

Practice with clean sound (some serious technical stuff going on there with that band) and then you can throw in all distortion you want

Hope that helps
It's real slow lol but it's working. Thanks for the help!

Is there anything I need to focus on with my right hand??
Quote by IronDeadPumpkin
Practice with clean sound (some serious technical stuff going on there with that band) and then you can throw in all distortion you want

You need to practice with both, especially if the thing you're learning is going to be played with high gain. If you don't practice with gain then you won't learn to properly control string noise, feedback and just gain in general: every guitarist should know that a guitar with any gain on it behaves and responds differently to one that is sparkly clean.

TS: Aside from the practice slowly and with good technique stuff I'm sure you already know (if you don't then read the stickies) there isn't a trick to it, you just have to keep plugging away until you get it down. Don't be disheartened though, The Faceless is some really hard stuff, there's no shame in it taking a very long time to learn and get down clean, Michael Keene is a beast.

Quote by Zerox8610
It's real slow lol but it's working. Thanks for the help!

Is there anything I need to focus on with my right hand??

Make sure it's one smooth motion with your hand, keep the pick at a consistent angle so your tone doesn't change, make sure you're not over-extending the motion at either end when the pick changes direction, make sure you're muting correctly. Basically all the usual stuff.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
TS: Aside from the practice slowly and with good technique stuff I'm sure you already know (if you don't then read the stickies) there isn't a trick to it, you just have to keep plugging away until you get it down. Don't be disheartened though, The Faceless is some really hard stuff, there's no shame in it taking a very long time to learn and get down clean, Michael Keene is a beast.

Make sure it's one smooth motion with your hand, keep the pick at a consistent angle so your tone doesn't change, make sure you're not over-extending the motion at either end when the pick changes direction, make sure you're muting correctly. Basically all the usual stuff.

I guess it's not as hard for me to get the form down as I thought... I was muting as I went down subconsciously :P

But I've been learning bits of the Planetary Duality album and it's real fun when you get a piece down lol especially Planetary Duality II (a prophecies fruition)'s intro

Thanks for everything tho!!
Quote by Herrymerry
Definatley do the thong! underwear lines would look horrible! (no offense). but if you do wear a thong don't do something with a lot of lace. it would show through!

*reported*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.