I'm a Senior in high school and seriously considering the National Guard. Advice?

Page 1 of 2
I could really use the help paying for college, and after reading through their website, it seems like a pretty good idea. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Basic Training and/or other military activities. I'm assuming basic is nothing like how it's portrayed in movies, but I'd still like an idea of what it's like. Also, what's life like after all the training, what career opportunities are like, etc.

Any info would be much appreciated. I know a meeting with a recruiting officer would answer everything, but I have the pit instead
Since when are the national guard and the military related in any way?

/Canadian
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Go Army or Marines if you can. The guys I know who joined those seem to be more content with their choice over the people I know in the Guard, but then again, I think more people join the Guard for the benefits than for the sake of being in the military.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
If they're generally not considered the same, then whoops my bad.
But I would go through the same training as any solider in the army, I just wouldn't be a "solider", I could get a job in the military medical field, mechanics, engineering, etc.
Skynyrd - I'm not looking to be a solider, I just want the benefits. I know it's not really a patriotic reason to join, but nevertheless, I'm interested. I think it would make me a more well rounded person and open up more opportunities for me later on in life
Quote by dr.rock666
and whys that? ^
For a number of reasons. Signing up is more than passively endorsing the state's viciously neoliberal foreign policy, pushing resource-rich third world countries further into poverty. Secondly, even though you aren't supposed to be deployed to fight in foreign wars for imperialist interests, you are. "Every Guard brigade has deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan".
I would say that if you are planning on going into a military field like you say, then yea go ahead and go guard. but if you are going for any other reason, just join the army and do it the right way 100% I mean I think you only need to sign for four years so its not like you are going to be "soldier" forever.

I kind of think about how I would be if I decided to join the army for 4 years. I think its good for some people
I think you should join the airforce. I know alot of people who joined up with the airforce and they seemed to have enjoyed it.
Last edited by WaterGod at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by dr.rock666
I could really use the help paying for college, and after reading through their website, it seems like a pretty good idea. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Basic Training and/or other military activities. I'm assuming basic is nothing like how it's portrayed in movies, but I'd still like an idea of what it's like. Also, what's life like after all the training, what career opportunities are like, etc.

Any info would be much appreciated. I know a meeting with a recruiting officer would answer everything, but I have the pit instead

Actually, I've heard some things...you just might want to understand that just because the law says they can't do something, the drill Sergeant isn't afraid to do those things anyway.
Quote by The_Sophist
Since when are the national guard and the military related in any way?

/Canadian
The guard is part of the US Army.
I say do it.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by due 07
For a number of reasons. Signing up is more than passively endorsing the state's viciously neoliberal foreign policy, pushing resource-rich third world countries further into poverty. Secondly, even though you aren't supposed to be deployed to fight in foreign wars for imperialist interests, you are. "Every Guard brigade has deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan".

I gotta say... your post is just annoying.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by WaterGod
I gotta say... your post is just annoying.

Agreed. Even though its technically a valid point, that sort of stuff is going to happen regardless of if he joins the guard or not. Why not get an interesting job and a decent pension out of it
Quote by due 07
If there is any way at all you can get by without joining, don't.

This is pretty much what all the military people i know well have said. The people I knew were complete failures in real life and I can definitely say the military made them stronger better people, but it does come at the cost of risking your life and being responsible for the many deaths your military causes, and with the advice I've gotten it also comes with physical and emotional hell.
Sure. If you think killing people for a free education is a good thing.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Don't join the military just for the college money. Everyone I've seen that does that hates it and can't wait to get out. Join the military to be a soldier and be proud of it.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Stop being stupid and get marks which will get you some ballin scholarships. **** the military.

Fuck punk ass kids on the internet who like to talk shit about things they know nothing about.
Quote by Cat Of Pain
Bob, you're my hero.

Quote by borntorock2112
If drugs were PP points, I'd be using struggle.

Quote by illuminatiano

YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Last edited by 3rdWardSoldier at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by 3rdWardSoldier
Don't join the military just for the college money. Everyone I've seen that does that hates it and can't wait to get out. Join the military to be a soldier and be proud of it.

Fuck punk ass kids on the internet who like to talk shit about things they know nothing about.

There is nothing about being a mindless murdering thug that warrants pride.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
There is nothing about being a mindless murdering thug that warrants pride.

You've never actually met a soldier have you?
Quote by Cat Of Pain
Bob, you're my hero.

Quote by borntorock2112
If drugs were PP points, I'd be using struggle.

Quote by illuminatiano

YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Daybreak, Jakarta.

The proud men and women of the Army are protecting America's interests overseas, but you're in Lubbock, Texas hosing down a monument, because your in the National Guard. Once you complete basic training, you only work one weekend a month, and most of that time you're drunk off your ass. The National Guard: America's 17th line of defense, between the Mississippi National Guard, and the League of Women Voters.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Lololol

UG'ers prove they are pathetic forever alone virgins in every thread.

Brb acting like a political revolutionary on my microsoft/apple computer
Brb do nothing about it ever

The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
I was in the military because my country practices conscription.... it really really sucked.

please understand what you are signing up for before you do it
Quote by 3rdWardSoldier
You've never actually met a soldier have you?

My best friend is in the military. I know there are tons of nice soldiers, but your job description is to be exactly what I said when you are deployed. Don't mistake me for Due or Zoot, I'm sure most have honourable and good intentions with what they are doing or are there because of the incentives they got. I don't agree, and I don't believe that you should take pride in what you are doing, but I sure as hell wouldn't willingly sign up so I'll give you some respect there at least. I don't blame the soldier for the orders they are given.

All I'm saying is that he shouldn't be joining because he'll get free post secondary education, which is the same thing you said. Just a different rationale behind it. If he wants cheap/free education he should put some goddamn effort in and get some merit based scholarships, rather than joining the military simply for free university. It isn't a decision to make lightly. Put some thought into it, there are positives to going down that route for sure. But there are also negative aspects as well. He probably wouldn't be a soldier anyways.

Personally though, **** the military. *insert annoying preaching here*
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by Primus2112
Daybreak, Jakarta.

The proud men and women of the Army are protecting America's interests overseas, but you're in Lubbock, Texas hosing down a monument, because your in the National Guard. Once you complete basic training, you only work one weekend a month, and most of that time you're drunk off your ass. The National Guard: America's 17th line of defense, between the Mississippi National Guard, and the League of Women Voters.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the National Guard do a lot of important humanitarian work, like helping with disaster relief and stuff like that? And someone else already mentioned that they are often deployed overseas along with the other branches of the military.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for any member of our Armed Forces, regardless of their branch.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Quote by Borsworth
Agreed. Even though its technically a valid point, that sort of stuff is going to happen regardless of if he joins the guard or not. Why not get an interesting job and a decent pension out of it

I think the point is that by joining you are making a concious decision to actively contribute to it happening, which is pretty fucked up when you think about it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
The Air force would be a better choice if you aren't going to the military for the sake of being in the military.

I come from a family that has many people in the military and I've talked to different family members to get decent information and hear stories.

Overall, the Air force gives you a more comfortable lifestyle than the rest of the branches. You also move up in rank based on your intelligence (granted you have to take tests to show your intelligence) and not if the ones in charge favor you (and from what my Uncle has told me that's how it works in the army. I'm not sure about the other branches but the army works on favoritism when it comes to rank).

You also need to be in shape for basic training. You have to meet the minimum requirements which I don't know off the top of my head but my friend showed it too me yesterday. Just make sure you can run 2 miles under 13 minutes 50 push ups and 50 sit ups and you should be fine for the minimum (though that isn't exactly what you should be striving for). Though, that's for the Air force which I'm more knowledgeable about because I plan on going and my friend is part of it and will be shipped to basic training once our class graduates.
Last edited by PRporcupine at Jul 22, 2011,
Basic training is overall a pretty gay experience experience; not difficult by any measure, but annoying because of the whole "be super Army" mentality and the fact that the majority of the people you are with are ignorant idiots.

Other than that, your job is what you make of it. I have an awesome job and when I'm actually doing it I love it -- I'm going to miss it when I get out. With that in mind, you need to research what your interests are, what bonus you can get for enlistment, and then decide what job will best suit your needs. You should try to talk to people who have had that job.

I can help with you some of the basic stuff, but I'm Active Duty, not Guard, so can't answer everything.
My God, it's full of stars!
Also, none of the other advice given so far in this thread in regards to military service, branches, getting promoted, etc. is legitimate so please do ignore it.
My God, it's full of stars!
Have you tried to find other ways to pay for college? Have you done research other than the website of the organization whose goal is to have you join?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

All I EVER think about when I hear the National Guard here.

But TS, the Pit is a horrible place to ask about this, seeing that over half of them believe that the army is just a bunch of "Imperialistic-blah-blah-blah"...
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Flip a coin.
Heads = Join.
Tails = No.

OT: Try talking to people around you that are in/were in the National Guard and decide if it's right for you.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Lololol

UG'ers prove they are pathetic forever alone virgins in every thread.

Brb acting like a political revolutionary on my microsoft/apple computer
Brb do nothing about it ever

UG in a nutshell.
Page 1 of 2