What's the point of having one? He just stand there wave his hands and no one even look at him.
to keep everyone together. otherwise everyone would play off tempo.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
What do you mean keep everyone together? have you watch a video of an orchestra, none of the ppl playing instruments even look at that guy who stand there, holding a stick and wave.
To be honest, you seem to have no knowledge of orchestra. The conducter is sort of like the living breathing indicator of tempo, dynamic, and feeling change. There is perfect need for one. How else would the orchestra start? Would someone call out "OKAY GUYS LET'S PLAY BACH'S CELLO PRELUDE IN E MINOR IN 5-4-3-2-1-GO. Now that's just not classy.
****ing google it or something if you obviously have no idea what they do.
Quote by icecoldstar
What do you mean keep everyone together? have you watch a video of an orchestra, none of the ppl playing instruments even look at that guy who stand there, holding a stick and wave.

The ignorance in this thread.

It's staggering.

Most orchestras, unlike modern music, don't have percussion constantly keeping time, and as such, with a 100+ ensemble, it's going to sound like cacophony without a metronome. He's the human metronome you don't have going "Click click click" and ruining the mood. He also signals the musicians to play louder or softer, if I understand things right.

As for them not looking at him, these people can read sheet music as fluently as we read english text, if not moreso. You know how you can, when reading something off, read a few lines ahead, speak, and look away from the writing? They do that to make sure they're in-time and playing loud enough or soft enough.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I study conducting. Conducting is the least understood role to outsiders. You can't know the incredible amount of influence that a conductor wields without having been on that podium. The players are looking at both the music and the baton. They are sensitive to even a micro movement of the hand. The conductor also has to cue players to initiate the next line of a part, since many parts of the orchestra frequently drop in and out. The conductor also influences the interpretation of the music, and goes far beyond the basic task of tempo monitoring. Expression, phrasing, dynamics, timbre, and dramatic impression are completely at the discretion of the conductor. That's not to say timing isn't a crucial role either. When working with soloists and formats like the concerto, there are frequent dissipation of rhythmic pulse while the soloist performs a free time passage. The conductor is responsible for communicating exactly when the soloist is starting and finishing, which would impossible to organize in a large orchestra between the players themselves. Then there are scores that are aleatoric such as Pendericki's Threnody or extremely rhythmically complex, such as Stravinsky's Petruchka. Players depend on the conductors with their lives.

Next time before you verbally vomit, take a second and think to yourself "Maybe I don't know everything. Maybe I'm actually an idiot."

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 22, 2011,
I will now conduct beating you upside the head with a metrostick.

Everyone else in this thread can have a whack too.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Have you ever played a song in a band setting and your doing your little "crazy ending of wailing on your respective instruments" then have to end it at the same time and you kinda look at each other and give each other signals with your body language on when your going to hit that final note?

A conductor is there so an entire orchestra doesn't have to do that. He also does other things, as Xiaoxi explained. So before you go off showing everyone how stupid and arrogant you are, try checking out a site called Wikipedia.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
hahah you guys are sooo mean to me lol

now i know how important that conductor guy is, so thanks guys!!
No-one knows who he is, he just gets up there every time they play, and they're all too polite to remove him.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Even playing in smaller ensembles, playing with a conductor is SO much easier. It's much easier to follow one person who directs the whole band rather than keep communication with each musician, which you can imagine in a large orchestra would be impossible. And if it goes wrong, as long as you followed him/her correctly, you can blame it all on them
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
ITT: Kid thinks he's had an original thought.

Kid gets his ass handed to him.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
something tells me TS doesn't play in an orchestra...
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by Erik_Aero
****ing google it or something if you obviously have no idea what they do.

exactly lol your are so misinformed
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpLYoaO3SQ

From this vid you learn how important the conductor is ( Ye i know that the vid is out of sync) But you are able to notice how players react to counductors hand movementes.
Last edited by jani92jani at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
I study conducting. Conducting is the least understood role to outsiders. You can't know the incredible amount of influence that a conductor wields without having been on that podium. The players are looking at both the music and the baton. They are sensitive to even a micro movement of the hand. The conductor also has to cue players to initiate the next line of a part, since many parts of the orchestra frequently drop in and out. The conductor also influences the interpretation of the music, and goes far beyond the basic task of tempo monitoring. Expression, phrasing, dynamics, timbre, and dramatic impression are completely at the discretion of the conductor. That's not to say timing isn't a crucial role either. When working with soloists and formats like the concerto, there are frequent dissipation of rhythmic pulse while the soloist performs a free time passage. The conductor is responsible for communicating exactly when the soloist is starting and finishing, which would impossible to organize in a large orchestra between the players themselves. Then there are scores that are aleatoric such as Pendericki's Threnody or extremely rhythmically complex, such as Stravinsky's Petruchka. Players depend on the conductors with their lives.

Next time before you verbally vomit, take a second and think to yourself "Maybe I don't know everything. Maybe I'm actually an idiot."

We get it, you like classical music. Jesus...
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by ryan_nadon
We get it, you like classical music. Jesus...

I'm sorry for dumping an excess of information about conducting to prove a point.

Wait, no I'm not. Go fuck yourself.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
(Invalid img)
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by ryan_nadon
(Invalid img)

of course he's mad. that's what he does, he is a conductor. TS is basically saying "hey, this thing that you do, yeah, it's silly and pointless." i'd be mad too.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Xiaoxi is exactly right. Being an orchestral musician I would agree completely with what he says.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
what.... a ****ing dumbass.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
I thought it was common sense?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by icecoldstar

They glance.
Quote by icecoldstar

Did you ever play well in one? I payed attention to the conductor all the time. Someone other than the poor double basses and tubas has to keep the tempo since the percussion isn't doing it.

edit*
Quote by The Madcap
Okay guys, it's been two weeks. We can stop picking on TS, now.

Damn, my troll rage got me and made me respond immediately without checking the date or reading the thread.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 5, 2011,
I hear Google is a good way to avoid embarrassing oneself by spewing out questions in the same manner as TS.

Edit: Next time you decide to shit on any style of music, don't.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 5, 2011,

Dude, Come on...
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Lol, what a troll thread...

0/10 OP.

Also, a conductor is different to an orchestra leader. The orchestra leader tends to be the principal first violin.

In most ensembles, the conductor counts the time, controls the dynamics and any tempo changes or timbre changes. It's a very difficult job and it's frickin' nerve racking.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog