Hey guys,

This is really a question for the amp techs and electronics experts out there.

I'm contemplating an amp build and I definitely anticipate teething problems and several re-wires before I am happy with the end result.

This obviously could be quite hazardous to my health as the filter caps hold a lethal amount of charge so I am looking for a way to safely (for me and the caps) and reliably discharge the caps.

After a google the only references to discharge tools or probes are a few home made probes, some using high quality energy rated resistors, some using quite low power rated ones.

What I really need to know is this; if I constructed myself a discharge probe, would something like a 7w 47k 750v rated resistor be enough to prevent arcing and rapid discharge but still low enough to allow the caps to drop to a safe voltage?
Just take a wire jumper, attach it to the plate of any amplifying stage, and short the plate to ground, the caps will discharge through the anode resistor. You could also design the amp with a resistor to discharge the filter caps, using a 220k in parallel with the reservoir capacitor, this will discharge the capacitors safely every time the amp is turned off.
I remember seeing a homemade discharge chopstick a while back, I think they used a 1/4 watt 100k then one end had an aligator clip on it so you could ground it easily.

And if you want a little theory on designing an amp and stuff, check out http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
I always use a 220k 5W resistor to connect between ground and the cap. Two alligator clips that are fully insulated so I can't touch the metal, but can clip things with it.