Hi,
When you write lyrics to a song, how do you write the guitar chords and melodies that accompany the vocals? How do you match the guitar and the rhythm to the vocal?
I don't know about everybody else, but I generally write the music first. It's easier to make lyrics that fit the music than the other way round. But that's me.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
I usually write the lyrics with the music in my head. Sing the lyrics while playing chords to match.
Quote by jwd724
I don't know about everybody else, but I generally write the music first. It's easier to make lyrics that fit the music than the other way round. But that's me.

i do this too. i find it a lot easier because playing the music will give me a mood, from there i can kinda come up with an idea of what the song could be about. from there i can come up with a melody and some words. and then i make a full song.

i HAVE come up with lyrics and then later put them to a song. but i didnt have a melody yet. sometimes i write to a melody in my head, write it down and by the time i come back to it that melody has gone anyway so i can mold it. but even then i usually already have a song made with no words. so i will try to fit them in. sometimes i might pick and choose lines i have in my book to fit a song that needs words.

but to answer you OP, your question is a little hard to answer because everyone is different, every song is different. first thing to do is find the key of the song. once you found the key, try different chord changes under the song. if you can record yourself singing the song that would help. if you find a progression you like, try different strumming patterns, rhythms, etc...

honestly, i find making the music first to be MUCH easier and a shorter process. i find with matching the music to lyrics and melody, i often have to end up changing the song to better suit the music as a whole. not that its a bad thing, but it just takes more time to do this. unfortunatly, in my new band my singer writes music and just sings it to me and i have to figure something out. im getting better at it though.