I've been shopping on eBay for a while waiting for a reasonably priced digitech jamman to show up. I've also discovered that the versions that can be used in Australia right out of the box will cost me over $600

After checking out the US site I can get one new and posted for just around $250.

I'm keen on ordering one, but I would like to know what it's going to be like trying to get it to work with our voltages in Australia, I know I can get an inverter, I just don't have much experience with these.

Could I perhaps order a PSU from my local music store?

There must be a reason as to why they are well under half price right?
Last edited by Casuist at Jul 22, 2011,
Hey I just went through this myself.. first you can buy an amp from America however you will need what is called a step down transformer. Your best bet to keep your amp safe is an isolated stepdown transformer that converts our 240v to 110v. These transformers come in different wattages so you need to work out how much watts your amp will consume.

To do this you will need to take it's voltage and time's it by it's amps. v*a=w (or as a rule of thumb how loud the amp is times four so mine was said 20*4 = 80)so this will give you an idea on how much watts your transformer will need to be. Mine was pretty basic it was just 110 and 1 amp (specs said it consumes 72 watts of power but.. i erred on the side of caution and bought a 250 watt transformer.)

Just lastly give yourself some clearence as you don't want to push the transformer righ to the edge as in if it takes 110 watts and you buy a 120 watt step down transformer it will be on 90 per cent load all the time you use it. I hope this helps.
If I was buying an amp then sure I would look at getting a transformer, but those things are expensive and about the same size as the pedal I want to buy.

There must be another alternative? How do musicians who travel the world work around this?
Surely I can order an AU power supply and plug it into the US jamman?
No it's not as simple as that. The other alternative is to convert the amp to run on 240v. Some amps and I mean a few come with the ability to run on 110 and 240 and recognise the volts and switch on there own. To convert an amp it's not as simple as buying an au power supply. The fuze and transformer will need to be changed as a start...
Well just passing on info that I have found. If you are going to buy an expensive amp say that is worth over 1000AUD for cheap say 400USD or the like then getting the transformer or having the amp modded to run on 240v is cost effective but if it is say 300 and sells for $450 AUD here then it's not so...
That'll be fine if you just get an AU power supply and plug it in. I think ibanart has misread your question. Because it just runs off 9VAC if you just get one of those from any Australian shop it'll work fine. The reason they are overpriced is because of shipping + tax costs to get it into Australia, plus the Australian distributor marks up before the retailer as well.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Sweet thanks man, I was getting worried. You know like, "too good to be true".

I've just ordered one. Guess I'll see what happens. I don't think I need to pay import costs though, I think it's like $900 before I have to do that.
I totally re-read your question after having a coffee just now and I lol'd hard man I am so sorry ha ha I swear I read that you were buying an amp ha ha. Yes a 9v power pack will do lol.
Quote by Casuist
Sweet thanks man, I was getting worried. You know like, "too good to be true".

I've just ordered one. Guess I'll see what happens. I don't think I need to pay import costs though, I think it's like $900 before I have to do that.

Nah you won't have to pay anything other than shipping, the Australian distributors that buy them though do pay for it. Hence the ridiculous prices
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator