I'm going to buy my first guitar so I wanted some views on these three.

1. Fender Squire Affinity Strat
2. Epiphone SG Special
3. Ibanez GRG150

Out of these which one would suit rock,metal and blues? If you could choose one which would be the best for a beginner? Thanks.
I would personally get the Ibanez GRG150. Just cause I like to shred and it has 24 frets. Plus the yellow and black one you can get looks really cool.

That and I don't like dot inlays.
the yellow and black one looks like a toy, and avoid the sg like the plague; for me it's out of the squier and the ibanez, pick the ibanez if you want something a little less mainstream - it will offer the most versatility too.
Quote by gman128
the yellow and black one looks like a toy, and avoid the sg like the plague; for me it's out of the squier and the ibanez, pick the ibanez if you want something a little less mainstream - it will offer the most versatility too.

Because all the metalhead wannabes don't buy cheapest ibanez guitars that look cool.
although i generally love SGs i dislike the SG special (epiphone and gibson). the fender is alright but most people i known who had own grow to hate them.

therefore i would go for the ibanez. looks good, less mainstream, but still versatile.
Quote by Zeletros
Because all the metalhead wannabes don't buy cheapest ibanez guitars that look cool.

Ok but compare that too the 1000s of ppl that end up with a squier strat or a strat rip off as their first guitars...
Thanks everyone I'll look into the ibanez but the sg special looks like it got good reviews. I don't want to regret buying the ibanez though.
The SG Special is gash - i'd take the Squier
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by gman128
Ok but compare that too the 1000s of ppl that end up with a squier strat or a strat rip off as their first guitars...

I know thats why I didn't even say anything about the Squire . I am a metalhead shredder wanna be and I don't have an Ibanez, I have A Jackson (I think they offer more value for money in each price range compared to Ibanez) and a new Kramer which was dirt cheap for what you get.

I said the Ibanez because of those 3 it is what I would pick and feel is the less Cliche. I mean if some one see's you on a Squire Strat they are gonna know you just started playing.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by MegadethFan18
I know thats why I didn't even say anything about the Squire . I am a metalhead shredder wanna be and I don't have an Ibanez, I have A Jackson (I think they offer more value for money in each price range compared to Ibanez) and a new Kramer which was dirt cheap for what you get.

I said the Ibanez because of those 3 it is what I would pick and feel is the less Cliche. I mean if some one see's you on a Squire Strat they are gonna know you just started playing.

I think being shit at the guitar is going to be more of a giveaway

A well set up strat is one of the easiest, most comfortable guitars you can play - that makes the design ideal for beginners.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull I wouldn't go as far as to say shit. The only reason I see for buying a "beginner" guitar is if you are unsure you want to play. I got my current Guitar 5 Months after I got my first one and I have been playing for 3 years (So had it over 2.5 years). Could have saved £200 if I had just got a decent guitar to start with.
The Ibanez gives the best quality for the price, and versatility. Don't think for one second though that just because you are a beginner means you should just look at "beginner" guitars. Chances are as long as you stay dedicated and practice, the better you get, the more disappointed you will be in the cheap guitar. You will quickly want a new one, and your cheap guitar will pretty much have no resale value. If you have a tight budget though, the ibanez is definitely your best bet. You get a 2 octave fretboard, a tremolo, and an HSH pickup combo.
Plus the Squier Strat trems are terrible. They are pot metal, and break very quickly. I know this from experience.
I started with the Squier Affinity and it was comfortable, the neck was smooth, frets were ok. No problem playing it at all, the electronics are just horrid though.

I know you're a beginer but you have to step it up to something that you will actually like and sound decent, or else it's not going to be fun playing it and it may detur you. It doesn't have to be expensive but it's got to be better than those choices, at least 1 level up from those.

Agile 2k
Yamaha Pacifica 112 - they come H/S/S so it's versitile
MIM Fender Strat(used)
G-400(used)
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
No one can pick the guitar for you. Find a guitar store and play or try to play all the guitars in your price range until you find one that really sets itself apart from the rest.
I also agree that you need to step up your price limit or get really lucky and find a normally higher priced guitar in your price range.
Unfortunately that's all I can afford as of now. They maybe crap but I highly doubt I can differentiate the tone and stuff. I tried the GRG170DX too and I really liked it a lot I might buy that with a Roland amp but since this will be my first time buying an electric I should be pretty happy with the GRG170. In a year I'll definitely be buying something much better though.
Yes, definately the Ibanez out of those three. Though squire isn't actually bad, just stay away from the Affinity series. Also may I suggest a ESP LTD H-51? In my opinio that will be the BEST bet in you range and being a begginer, definately check that one out.