Bought a 2nd hand Rocker 30 last night for £375. I needed a backup amp so have been looking for one second hand for a good few months.

It's in superb condition, literally one tiny bump in the body and thats it.

Looks cleaner than my TH30 and I have only gigged it once.

Standard speaker in there, didn't get a change to check the tubes.
Sounded fine when I tested it out.

Got a footswitch of somesort included too
Really nice guy who sold it to me - it's always nice when the seller of is a decent guy/gal.

Now I need to decide whether to use the TH30 or the Rocker as my main amp. I guess it depends mostly on how the Rocker takes my Boss DC-2 and delay as there is no fx loop...

Very nice, I got the TH30 last week and I really like it a lot too
You got it for a pretty decent price too

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Dude, you gotta do a comparrison video of the two. I think they compliment each other well, the rocker does the crunch thing better, the thunder does the higher gain and cleans better. Fill in the gaps kinda thing.

Thats a great deal though.

I should start a TH30 group. Who wants to join?
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by beckyjc
Dude, you gotta do a comparrison video of the two. I think they compliment each other well, the rocker does the crunch thing better, the thunder does the higher gain and cleans better. Fill in the gaps kinda thing.

Count me in
The TH30 has more gain than the rocker 30, right?
And the TH30's cleans are lovely.

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by ragingben
I had my eye on one of these till I got my Traynor, but I have always been entrigued by orange amps, maybe it's the colour how you finding the amp? What styles do you play?

I have a TH30 which is what I currently use for gigs and practice. I saw this and jumped on it as I need a backup, plus this way I have a crunch Orange and a Fuzzy Orange.

I havent given it a proper go yet! I literally plugged it in to make sure it was working and drove it home. I will spend all weekend with it for sure and see what valves she is weilding

I play modern/alternative rock with quite high gain the majority of the time. The Orange distortion is just perfect for me - never found a pedal that has come close.
Quote by Bauwke
Count me in
The TH30 has more gain than the rocker 30, right?
And the TH30's cleans are lovely.

Yeh the TH30 has 4 gain stages, i think the rocker has 3. I never take the gain past 12oclock on my TH30 as its too much! (for me anyway).

The clean on the TH30 is bright and very bell like.

The clean on the Rocker is actually quite nice (from the brief test that I did) from what people said I was expecting a horrible clean but thats not the case at all. No EQ for the clean on the rocker though. I have an MXR 6 band eq that I can use with it if needed.

My TH30 looks like its more beat up than the Rocker which I am suprised about as I have had the TH30 under a year lol

Will do a comparrison vid when I get the chance, mind you its gonna be hard playing them at volume in my flat...
Congrats man, I still have yet to lay a hand on an Orange, I'd really like to play one though...

HNAD!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah itd be good to hear an A/B vid of the two, theyre really very different amps.

I wouldnt say the clean is horrible, just very very clean, which never appealed to me.

Bauwke Pick a number VV
I got to try one of these out the last time I was in the guitar shop. Pretty cool amps

HNAD!
Quote by beckyjc
Yeah itd be good to hear an A/B vid of the two, theyre really very different amps.

I wouldnt say the clean is horrible, just very very clean, which never appealed to me.

Bauwke Pick a number VV

I agree on the A/B
Done VV

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
HNAD! I highly approve as you can probably tell from my sig. I love that amp and with a decent PA system it's loud enough even for larger outdoor shows (I played one show outdoors in college at our spring festival which had about 2000 people and only had the volume around 2 o'clock.)
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Stereo rig?

HNAD
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Congrats BlacktopStrat! Is this like the little bro of the RockerVerb 200?

Quote by beckyjc

Yes! Not familiar/haven't auditioned the TH30 and Rocker 30.

Just a regular Thunderverb Group ... had the 200, have access to another 200.

Ok so I had some time on my hands the other day and I put them next to each other for a tone and pedal test. Sorry I can't do a comparrison vid as I don't have a mike or a vid cam. Just an iphone lol

Tone test;
At first I liked the sound of the Rocker better than the TH30 so I set about dialing in as close a sound on the TH30 as what I was getting from the Rocker.
After some fiddling and increasing ALOT of mids via my MXR 109 on the TH30 I did it.
I now prefer the sound of the TH30 with the new setup. I get a slightly sweeter tone on the TH30 plus more bottom end.
A little less crunch though.

Effects test;
My Hardwire reverb sounds the same straight into the Rocker as it does in my effects loop on the TH30.

The Boss delay sounds warmer and less gritty through the TH30 effects loop.

The Boss Dimension C sounds a little better through the TH30 effects loop. It is noticable on the highest setting (4) not so much on setting 2.

I do like the clean on the TH30 don't get me wrong, but the clean on the Rocker is more organic, 3 dimesional and I do prefer it. There is only 1 short clean part in 1 of my songs so this isn't a deciding factor.

I am going to use the TH30 as my main amp, not only because of the above but also because I can use my Seymour Duncan booster pedal for solos through the effects loop - adds as much volume as I need which is something I can't do with the Rocker.

This was all done at lowish volume - Alot louder than bedroom but lower than rehearsal.
I know the over all sound changes as the amps get LOUD so I will have to see how it sounds as the next rehearsal.

I have been told that TAD EL84's will give me more crunch so I might get a quad for the TH30 and see.

Over all I am loving the tone I am getting, in a way that I cant put my guitar down once I start playing.
Very nice Congratz!!! HNAD
HNAD

if you decide to sell any of your amps please contact me