have to play a song until it becomes as easy as breathing....
or mayb not breathing, but until you can do it easily without though and you dont mess it up..

do you guys know any songs that well?....is it a matter of playing it over and over or is it just about being good?
I can do it with a handful of songs, mostly ones I've written myself.
The time scale between learning a song and being able to play it without thinking is different for everyone. It's all about playing the song so many times that you can do it without thinking! Practice makes perfect!
It's never going to happen over night, so keep on practising and you'll soon get there.
Hope it goes well for you,
Jason.
Quote by BigJase
I can do it with a handful of songs, mostly ones I've written myself.
The time scale between learning a song and being able to play it without thinking is different for everyone. It's all about playing the song so many times that you can do it without thinking! Practice makes perfect!
It's never going to happen over night, so keep on practising and you'll soon get there.
Hope it goes well for you,
Jason.

oh thanks bro.

well i was just wondering cus im learning fade to black, and while its not extremely hard its really easy to fxck up.
and then i see a video of james hetfield playing it like its nothing while singing....

so it just made me think, in general, what does it take for a song to become just natural for you.....as in you dont have to think or concentrate hard but your fingers just know what to do.
Practice perfect make perfect. Begin with slow, gradually goes faster. Do more effort. All the best.
It depends on the song and the person. I was able to play 2 minutes to midnight that good almost as fast as I was reading the tab, but I absolutely fail at anything with the words "dream theater" in it.
Quote by davem27
oh thanks bro.

well i was just wondering cus im learning fade to black, and while its not extremely hard its really easy to fxck up.
and then i see a video of james hetfield playing it like its nothing while singing....

so it just made me think, in general, what does it take for a song to become just natural for you.....as in you dont have to think or concentrate hard but your fingers just know what to do.

I'd try once playing and singing of fade to black song. I can even play one note correct when doing that, everything went mess up. It's hard actually for me to play and singing at the same time.
Quote by thrashdeth
It depends on the song and the person. I was able to play 2 minutes to midnight that good almost as fast as I was reading the tab, but I absolutely fail at anything with the words "dream theater" in it.

Eh. I took about ten to fifteen minutes per riff while learning Aces High

I can still do this

Forgive the shitty tone, I had an MG then
Quote by thrashdeth

This

But, if you if you break DT songs into sections, like with learning any other song. Itll become easier

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by maximumrocker
This

But, if you if you break DT songs into sections, like with learning any other song. Itll become easier

Yore absolutely right.

But my problem is I'm trying to learn 20 different songs at the same time and get distracted.