Sup people.

I got an idea about something i wanted to do, but i thought i´d post it here so i get some other peoples opinion on it before i decide myself.

For the past 1 year or so i´ve focused more on technique and doing exercieses and correcting technique. (an example is changing the way i hold the pick, how hard i hold and so on)

I´m finally at the point where i think my technique is pretty good and just needs some practice in actual music that i like.

So my idea was to learn songs from my favorite bands, and learning them 1 album at the time. Since i want to get a good grip of the sound, arrangement and such from that time in their carrear.

I´m starting with children of bodoms "Hatebreeder" album next week. Also getting to transpose some of the keyboard parts to guitar.

Thanks for reading and advices.
and you wanted our opinion on...?

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
cool story bro
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Oh, sorry. xD

I wanted your opinion on do you think it´s a good idea to study a band one album at the time or learn songs like randomly by bands you like, it´s really no biggie. Just wanted to know what others thought.
Go for different songs all around, I think. There's really no point in know how to play the music of others, really. What matters is that you know how to play music, period. Know lots of different musics will help you achieve that faster than knowing lots of similar musics. Besides, once you know how to play music rather than songs, you'll learn new songs way way faster.

It depends on your aims though. Of course if you just want to play the songs you like, learning the songs you like is the way to go.

P.S.: If you care for that, don't forget to carefully study how each music is composed. Don't just learn how to play it, learn why it's as it is.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
I think it would be a good idea if you want to play in a Children of Bodom tribute band, but otherwise, I don't really see the point; you could use that time to write you own music.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sickz
Oh, sorry. xD

I wanted your opinion on do you think it´s a good idea to study a band one album at the time or learn songs like randomly by bands you like, it´s really no biggie. Just wanted to know what others thought.

If you transcribe or just learn a whole album you're not using your time in the most efficient way possible. As you implied, bands sound different every album and they have their ups and downs. Let's just take an example: You learn the first song in Hatebreeder, you learn lots of nice tricks you can incorporate into your playing. When you learn the second song, you notice that many of the tricks you learnt last time are also used in this song and the sound and setting are very similar. If you learnt songs all around their catalogue you would see more variety. It's better for getting a sense of mastering and mixing.

That's not all there is to it though. I only like the 3-4 first albums from Bodom. I wouldn't really even look into their other stuff as those are the albums I like. It's kind of common sense, learn what you want to learn.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
If you transcribe or just learn a whole album you're not using your time in the most efficient way possible. As you implied, bands sound different every album and they have their ups and downs. Let's just take an example: You learn the first song in Hatebreeder, you learn lots of nice tricks you can incorporate into your playing. When you learn the second song, you notice that many of the tricks you learnt last time are also used in this song and the sound and setting are very similar. If you learnt songs all around their catalogue you would see more variety. It's better for getting a sense of mastering and mixing.

That's not all there is to it though. I only like the 3-4 first albums from Bodom. I wouldn't really even look into their other stuff as those are the albums I like. It's kind of common sense, learn what you want to learn.

I´m much into their first 4 albums, maybe even a little bit on "Are you dead yet".

I figured it was a good idea to learn the album as a whole since im going to learn the other songs at some given point anyways since i love that band.

But yeah, the reason im learning songs is cause i want inspiration and to evolve my style by learning my favorite bands. That´s why i thought it was a good idea to first learn some bodom, then some scar symmetry, then some Megadeth etc.

I am transcribing it though, since my band mostly play in drop C so i am learning songs in standard and transcribing them to drop.

And just for the record, learning songs aint all i got on my schedule. I´m learning theory/ear training, technique and such aswell. Thanks alot for your post!
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I think it would be a good idea if you want to play in a Children of Bodom tribute band, but otherwise, I don't really see the point; you could use that time to write you own music.

I am writing my own music, 2 times a week with my band and at home.

I just want to learn songs by my favorite bands to get some inspiration and be able to mix em up.
Why didn't you say that in your original post?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Why didn't you say that in your original post?

Sorry i dont know. :/

I might of bin tired or something, or i just dident come to think of it.

My bad.
Quote by Sickz
I am writing my own music, 2 times a week with my band and at home.

I just want to learn songs by my favorite bands to get some inspiration and be able to mix em up.

Learn from as many different sources as you can. There's no point studying one band at one point in their career too deeply unless you want to sound exactly the same as they did then.

It would be like only using one ingredient in food, sure it might be a good one but you're going to be very monotone and the same as the original ingredient if you do: mix up the flavors dude!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yes sir!

Well got the answers i needed, how do i lock the thread?
You can't Could ask a mod but I don't think they would either, there's not much point locking it
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.