Page 1 of 2
So my mum was saying earlier that she will be expecting everyone living in her house soon to pay rent, as long as they have an income, and the fee will be £5 a day. Currently my two sisters have been living here rent free, even though they have an income, and I will be expected to pay rent as well, but only if I get a part time job, now that I'm 18.

So I was wondering, who here pays their parents rent to live in their house? And also, what is your opinion on parents asking their children to pay rent to live in their house?
Last edited by Duffman123 at Jul 22, 2011,
I think that if they no longer get child benefits etc for you, and you've got a substantial income, then you should pay rent.

At the moment I'm 17, still in full-time education so I can't get a full-time job, so I don't.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Are you still in school? Sounds pretty fucking stupid.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
They pay the rent for the place I live in. So f*ck you .
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I have never paid rent at my parents place (although I don't live with them anymore) and I just think it's really unfair that your parents expect you to pay rent, especially seeing as it's the duty of a parent to financially support their kids through to education and to finding a good job for themselves until they are financially secure.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Kensai
Are you still in school? Sounds pretty fucking stupid.

Finished school a few months ago. Will be going to college next years part time (18 hour a week) and will try and get a part time job as well.
I'm in the summer before I'm going to university, so my dad says I have to pay 25% of my paycheck to help cover the costs of housing me. He says he's teaching me a lesson of some sort.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Harmonius
I have never paid rent at my parents place (although I don't live with them anymore) and I just think it's really unfair that your parents expect you to pay rent, especially seeing as it's the duty of a parent to financially support their kids through to education and to finding a good job for themselves until they are financially secure.

Let me look that up in the universal laws of parenting.

No it's not in there. Try again.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
If my parents asked me to pay them rent I'd move out on principle. Also I'm pretty sure it's illegal.
Quote by cam_sampbell
I think that if they no longer get child benefits etc for you, and you've got a substantial income, then you should pay rent.

This, plus if you're not in school. I can understand if your parents are very well off and don't need you to contribute financially to the household, but you are still another mouth to feed and you are likely using hydro/electro as well.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Pagan-Pie
If my parents asked me to pay them rent I'd move out on principle. Also I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Let me look that up in the universal laws of parenting.

No it's not in there. Try again.

Fair enough - we all have different ways of parenting and I don't blame you for thinking my reasoning was wrong. I personally think my way of parenting sounds the most rational but then again as I've said already, we all have different ways of thinking.
Perhaps I should state that I'm Chinese. My parents have never told me what to do nor have they expected me to pay for rent. They funded me throughout and whenever I was in need of money whilst I was studying at Law School. As soon as I find myself in a financial position where I am secure, I will fund my parents until they die - everything. It's a two-way process and you'll find that this is the way for Asian parents and I believe it to be a more rational line of thinking.

Asian parenting means that the kids don't pay for anything until they find a secure position for themselves. Neither do Asian parents ask for money but it's customary that they should expect it when their kids are able to provide for themselves properly (i.e. full time job, wife, kids, comfortable life etc..). You can always contribute to paying rent - that's always accepted - but Asian parents will probably decline your offer in return for you finding yourself first before providing for the parents. At the end of the day, parents want the kids to be wealthy so they can provide for them in return so it's only natural that parents to think that way.

In a simplified way:

The Parents eventually become the kids and the Kids eventually become the parents in the same family.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by uhh_me?
just don't get a job and continue to live with them, of course.
Yeah, never ever move out of your parents house.

The world is scary and stuff.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
I actually try to give my parents rent, and they always refuse. I know this post will be singular however.

I'm prepared to pay 50 pounds a week but they won't have it. I have actually even considered drawing money out and then putting into their wallets.

They stopped getting child benefits the start of this year - is it when you turn 20? I dunno.

It's all circumstantial really, that will define whether or not you should pay.

I see nothing wrong with contributing by choice. However the alternative of doing more chores or whatever is probably a more viable option.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
My sister does it, but she ran away once and actually moved out once, so its reasonable to ask her to pay $200 a month to live here. I don't pay a penny (beyond all the labor) because I have never left, have no job, and am working on getting a degree so that I can actually support myself.

I'll probably handle it like my parents. If you have left, you have to pay to move back in, but not too much. Otherwise, you handle all the heavy labor around the house.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Harmonius
Fair enough - we all have different ways of parenting and I don't blame you for thinking my reasoning was wrong. I personally think my way of parenting sounds the most rational but then again as I've said already, we all have different ways of thinking.

Perhaps I should state that I'm Chinese. My parents have never told me what to do nor have they expected me to pay for rent. They funded me throughout and whenever I was in need of money whilst I was studying at Law School. As soon as I find myself in a financial position where I am secure, I will fund my parents until they die - everything. It's a two-way process and you'll find that this is the way for Asian parents and I believe it to be a more rational line of thinking.

K koo. My parents support me too, but they have enough money so they don't need me to pay any rent. Once I graduate and get a job I will try to pay them back (don't have to). I can understand though that some parents ask their children to help them run the family if they do not have enough money. Seems only rational either.

Just out of curiosity: do you practice law in China or another country?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
K koo. My parents support me too, but they have enough money so they don't need me to pay any rent. Once I graduate and get a job I will try to pay them back (don't have to). I can understand though that some parents ask their children to help them run the family if they do not have enough money. Seems only rational either.

Just out of curiosity: do you practice law in China or another country?

I'm not actually from China per say. I'm from Hong Kong and I left to study at Law School in London. I go back to Hong Kong frequently but I've studied the jurisdiction here so it makes it difficult for me to practice law back home.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Neo Evil11

With regards to the first point, I'd be pissed off. And if I'm going to be paying rent, I might as well get my own place.

The second point is that I'm pretty sure there are some contractual/legal obligations involved if you pay rent for accommodation. We live in a litigious society
When I was past 18, when I moved back in with my parents I had to pay them $200 a month and pay for my own food. Beat the hell out of getting my own apartment though, so I didn't mind it.
Quote by Harmonius

All of this.
Except for the Chinese bit.

Parents should take care of their children for as long as they need it (to a practical limit...you can't be 28, jobless and living at your parents' home). Rent is silly, unless your family really needs it for sustenance.
£5 a day? That's laughable. I pay $500 a month to live with my mom while I save up to go back to school.
Quote by unet
All of this.
Except for the Chinese bit.

Parents should take care of their children for as long as they need it (to a practical limit...you can't be 28, jobless and living at your parents' home). Rent is silly, unless your family really needs it for sustenance.

Truth but the part about limits is also vague. Of course if you're really struggling to cope with life even though you're really trying, I'm sure the parents will always help you out irrespective of age because they are still the children (no matter if you're 20 or 40).

Parents will always be parents. Age doesn't stop a parent from being one.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Just talked with my mum and she isn't wanting rent from me atm since I will be technically in full time education next year and she will receive benefits for me until I'm 19.

Sisters will still have to pay though; one's in uni with a part time job and the other is looking for a full time job.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
With regards to the first point, I'd be pissed off. And if I'm going to be paying rent, I might as well get my own place.

The second point is that I'm pretty sure there are some contractual/legal obligations involved if you pay rent for accommodation. We live in a litigious society

It is clearer with an explanation now. Sounded before as if the law would force parents to not ask rent of their adult children.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
My mum takes about £80 a month off me. It basically pays for my bills. I am an adult, and she shouldn't be looking after me, but realises I can't afford my own place on my current wages. I don't mind paying it.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
£5 a day? That's laughable. I pay $500 a month to live with my mom while I save up to go back to school.

I wasn't complaining in the op btw
Quote by Duffman123
I wasn't complaining in the op btw

you better not. back in the day (paleolithic day), parents would kick their children out of the home by the time they hit puberty.
Personally, I think it's disgusting to live with anyone, your parents or otherwise, and not contribute to the overall running of the household if you can. If you have a job, disposable income, a car, a phone, etc., either get a shit shack you can live in and take that next step, or throw a bone to the people letting you use their property as storage. My parents have never asked me for rent, and that's probably why I pay it. It's not a matter of whether they 'need' it; just because we're not riding the poverty line doesn't mean they couldn't use help to pay bills, etc. It's not a regimented thing either; at the end of the month, I toss them a respectable amount of money.

I can understand if you're in university or something, and clearly don't have the time to be working some menial job, but if you ask me, that's just another sense of entitlement that's just going to hind you when you leave the house. I think it's parents' job to prepare kids for real life, not make sure they had the best time possible before they left the nest. Not saying this is a life or death situation, but if if it can help instill a sense of responsibility and the real world in a kid, why not?
Last edited by Iommianity at Jul 22, 2011,
My family has a rule, if you drop out, you move out. If you return, you pay rent. I'm currently a child in school, so I don't have to. I won't either unless I come back after college, because as long as I'm in school, I'm good. The only exception I think, is when my mother and I came back to my grandparent's, because she got divorced and couldn't afford a house.
Quote by Harmonius
Truth but the part about limits is also vague. Of course if you're really struggling to cope with life even though you're really trying, I'm sure the parents will always help you out irrespective of age because they are still the children (no matter if you're 20 or 40).

Parents will always be parents. Age doesn't stop a parent from being one.

Of course....I just meant if you were being lazy / irresponsible and not trying to improve your life. They'd feel sorry for you and help you to a point in that scenario, but after that you'd just be a burden.
I pay rent. Have done since I was 16. When I was 16, it was only £15 a week. That was loads. Now, I'm 19 and I pay £160 a month. Sucks hard. But, it's cheaper than living on my own.
Quote by unet
Of course....I just meant if you were being lazy / irresponsible and not trying to improve your life. They'd feel sorry for you and help you to a point in that scenario, but after that you'd just be a burden.

for Asian Parenting
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I left home when I had just turned 18 to go to uni, and I think the longest I've ever stayed back with my parents is about 2 weeks since then (24 now). If for some reason I did go back and live with them, then I would quite happily pay for my accommodation
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by rworsl
I left home when I had just turned 18 to go to uni, and I think the longest I've ever stayed back with my parents is about 2 weeks since then (24 now). If for some reason I did go back and live with them, then I would quite happily pay for my accommodation

Long time no talk Rich. Where are you living now? I'm in the Canada Water area. You still living in Lewisham?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I think it's reasonable, if your working then I think paying rent or paying for a utility is fair, don't get me wrong I thought it was BS when I was 18 and had to do it, but being a parent I get it now, it's not always a situation where they need the money, but it will help teach you the lesson and getting used to paying rent every month on time and being accountable with you're money on a smaller scale.

I see it as no different then any other lesson parents teach their children, kids usually don't like it at the time, but when they grow up (if they do lol) they'll see the practical value.

For awhile my parents needed the money because my dad was out of work, but the time that they didn't use it they put all the money into a savings which was then given back as a down payment for an apartment when I was ready to move out.
My brother pays rent. About $200-250 a month; I think. He has a job. No car. Uses a cellphone, eats "our" food. Sounds reasonable I guess. I think my parents only make him pay because they know he smokes weed and I guess they are trying to make him not spend money on it.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
My parents would rather have me save up whatever money I earn so I can gtfo of their haus after college.
My brothers and I never paid rent when i was living with my mother. We had to have jobs since we were 16. She made my brothers and I buy our own cars, pay our own car insurance and taxes, and pay for our own college and books (or take out loans in our names). We also had to do chores and repairs as payment for rent.

She never made us pay rent because she wanted us to be able to save for a down payment on a house. When I was 25 and my brother was 23, we bought a house together, central to our new careers that we both started around the same time. we were both commuting over an hour in the same general direction from our mother's house for about 10 months. My youngest brother rents a room from us during college since it is a short commute. (we only charge him a percentage of the utilities. c'mon he's family.)
I pay to live at home, the way i see it if you have money and your taking up a room and using utilities etc then why not pay your way?
Page 1 of 2