Hey guys! Thanks for reading and responding. This is actually my first legit song I've written. It starts off with a distorted rock chord progression like*D Dsus Asus Cadd9 then a bluesy riff on the A and D strings with the notes D, E and C. I'm most comfortable in the pentatonic but I've been learning others. Where can I take this song keeping in the key of D? I'd like to start working on the solo. The feel of the song is rock with a little blues, maybe Van Halen*+ AC/DC. Thank you!

Chris
D minor scale with accidentals.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Strummin365
Thanks but I tried that it wasnt quite the sound I was looking for..

What is the sound you're looking for? Rock/blues use the same scales as every other genre - major and minor scales with accidentals. The secret is in how you use the scales, not what notes they contain. If you took Eric Clapton and Slash, and asked them to play a solo using the E minor pentatonic, they would sound completely different to eachother.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Dry D Dorian maybe
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by AlanHB
What is the sound you're looking for? Rock/blues use the same scales as every other genre - major and minor scales with accidentals. The secret is in how you use the scales, not what notes they contain. If you took Eric Clapton and Slash, and asked them to play a solo using the E minor pentatonic, they would sound completely different to eachother.

you should use that clapton slash example more often, i don't think the kiddies get it without an example like that
btw, its just Dmajor with a flat7. just handle the C and maybe C# with care, i'm playing a solo right now over the progression you gave that sounds pretty rock/bluesy.

if you're comfortable with pentatonics, just use the Dmajor pentatonic scale, maybe even Dminor pentatonic with some chromatics thrown in for the 3rd and the 7th.
Last edited by TMVATDI at Jul 24, 2011,
Angus has such a cool and cocky feel when he's soloing... Eddie is just (one of my all time faves)... To get that feel, you are going to have to listen to them... a lot!

Stay with your pentatonics... just experiment. No amount of scales we suggest will get you to sound like those two. And no one else but you will get it right.. both in sound and feel you desire.

Just carry on playing it. The Dm pentatonic could work... so could the Am pentatonic... as well as the Em pentatonic... and the Bm pentatonic will give it an interesting twist. The C major pentatonic will work too...

Of course you could construct a melody and vary the theme throughout. Just a suggestion.

Lots of choice... only one guy to decide it and play it. Good luck, hope it helps.
This might sound unbelievably cliche'd, but I'd go by ear and noodle around with multiple takes until I found what's best. Use theory as a guideline, but don't let it box you in... well, for this kind of music that is! A lot of the best guitarists in that kind of rock just go by feel or by ear and might just do the theory subconsciously. Basically just play and you stumble upon some good phrasing is the way I'd approach it... obviously staying in key, which it sounds like won't be a problem for you. Good luck!
CheapGuitarists.com - new site for the budget minded or beginner guitarist!

"He who hath pizza shall never die in vain" ~ Lord Cheesus Crust