Hi again,

There's this bassist I know who gigs 3 times a week, and he's developed tinitus in his right ear. It made me realize I really need to buy some decent ear plugs to help protect me when gigging. Does anybody know any cheap BUT GOOD earplugs I can order online in England? I want to be able to hear everything clearly and to sound good, but I want it to make everything quieter and have my ears well protected. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

You can get them at any drug store. I use ones I got from CVS and they work just fine.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
Find an audiologist and get proper musicians earplugs. You'll be glad you did. They're expensive (I paid €250 for mine), but theyll last a long time (you'll be obliged to take good care of them for one) and your ears will love you.

Also while on stage you'll hear exactly what it sounds like, but quieter!

Invest!!!
I went for er20s. Etymotic and some other companies make them, under a tenner and the best non customs you can get apparently.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/earplugs1.php they're great and extremely cheap

edit: get the "UNCORDED EARPLUGS 340-4001"
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by shmeegle
Find an audiologist and get proper musicians earplugs. You'll be glad you did. They're expensive (I paid €250 for mine), but theyll last a long time (you'll be obliged to take good care of them for one) and your ears will love you.

Also while on stage you'll hear exactly what it sounds like, but quieter!

Invest!!!

I have to agree with this guy. I'm very good friends with an audiologist and got myself some through him. He explained to me that

1) Cheap foam earplugs that you get at hardware stores/drug stores/etc. do not attenuate the proper frequencies. So although it sounds like they're helping, they really aren't.

2) Everyone's ears are shaped different. Although most earplugs are "form fitting" they don't create a proper seal all the way around the inside of your ear and sound can creep through and damage your hearing.

And before anyone says that he was just trying to pitch something to me and make money - HE paid for the earplugs and gave them to me, so the money came out of his pocket and I got them 100% free.

You can either run to your local audiologist, get some impressions made, and shell out a couple hundred dollars for custom earplugs now, or you can pay thousands of dollars in the future for hearing aids (which only last a few years, if you're lucky you can squeeze five or six years out of them and then you're back to shelling out another couple thousand dollars).
^ to be fair, we have an NHS in the UK.

But yeah i mean obviously you don't want to have hearing problems, whether the hearing aid is free or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ to be fair, we have an NHS in the UK.

But yeah i mean obviously you don't want to have hearing problems, whether the hearing aid is free or not.

Sorry about that! Didn't know you guys had a program like that.

But like you said, it doesn't matter whether you can get a free hearing aid or not - you don't want hearing problems down the road.

The way I see it is people have no problem shelling out thousands of dollars/pounds/euros for top quality guitars, amps, and pedals - so why cheap out on your hearing protection?
Thanks for the help guys! Might pop down to see an audiologist in a few days and get something sorted, thanks again!
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

With that price range you can get custom molded plugs with the insert that let's you hear low level noise but stops loud noises.

http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Quote by LastSlayerKing
I went for er20s. Etymotic and some other companies make them, under a tenner and the best non customs you can get apparently.

Yeah, they're good. I swear by them.
growing up with a near deaf father i can attest that losing your hearing is a bitch. I always use hearing protection, i have yet to perform on a regular basis but when i do i will be going to get proper fitted real protection.
Quote by polishedbullet
Hearos makes some good musician ear plugs that lower the decibel level of every frequency, not just dulling the high end.

Hearos are legendary with concert goers for a reason. They're why I'm not deaf from all those nights spent on dance floors and mosh pits.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Sorry about that! Didn't know you guys had a program like that.

But like you said, it doesn't matter whether you can get a free hearing aid or not - you don't want hearing problems down the road.

The way I see it is people have no problem shelling out thousands of dollars/pounds/euros for top quality guitars, amps, and pedals - so why cheap out on your hearing protection?

yeah, exactly. if healthcare is free you aren't jumping for joy when something is wrong with you because the bills are paid for you. you're like "ah crap i have to go to the doctor "

plus there are a bunch of things which modern medicine can't fix 100% yet (hearing is one of them), so prevention is definitely better than cure in those cases.

i have cheapo etymotics which do the job, but i pretty much just play at low volumes anyway now.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?