So i tried a mark v today, and was pretty blown away. Ive tried a lot of high end amps but this was just perfect without much dialling. Every sound was what i wanted..cleans were clear, crunch was crunchy and high gain was open but very quick bass response. The El34s and 6l6s were equally good.

Any better amps out there in terms of versitility? Obviously i would rather pay less than £2500 but i will save up anyway.

p.s. sorry for the roman numeral mix up!
Mesa road king? What more versatility than a mark V do you want?
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
ENGL SE, not sure if more versatile, but sure as hell a good match
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
The Egnater Renagade is amazingly versatile and sounds awesome!!
Quote by mmjohn

I have a renegade and a mark IV... The renegade is an awesome amp, but it doesn't quite match the mesa.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by mmjohn

i didnt rate it at all. thought the gain was very fuzzy and the cleans were meh
Quote by jpatan
I have a renegade and a mark IV... The renegade is an awesome amp, but it doesn't quite match the mesa.

I dont think it more versatile.......just a cost effective alternative. Would be a better way to say it.
Edit: I dont think I've ever heard anyone say the Renagade was fuzzy..... its far from that!! the cleans are really good IMO and most reviews I've read and on my amp. I went with the tourmaster212x and swpped the the 12ax7's to a mix of tungsols and some EI's and it sounds great for the $$$ that's just my opinion
are in the uk? 2500 pounds for a Mark IV?

gotta be kidding me.

buy a diezel.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Diezel Herbert/VH4
Engl SE
Mesa Road King
VHT/Fryette Sig:X
EVH 5150 III
Randall RM100
Egnater M4
Rivera K-Tre Reverb
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by AcousticMirror
are in the uk? 2500 pounds for a Mark IV?

gotta be kidding me.

buy a diezel.

lowest i've seen a Mark V for new is £2250 and thats for just the head

Roadking, Diezel Herbert and Diezel VH-4 are the only non-modeling amps out there that could compete really. ENGL SE whilst its great for the money you can do a lot better, both of the Diezel's are cheaper and WAY better.

but they're all a lot more expensive than the Mark V, at least £400, and for the money i'd stick with the Mark V if you loved it you cant really go wrong with it. save up for a TC G System and a few other pedals and you have a pretty much perfectly versatile rig for any music
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
ENGL Steve Morse. £1800 and an insanely versatile amp.

If you like the tone it blows the MKV away.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
ENGL Steve Morse. £1800 and an insanely versatile amp.

If you like the tone it blows the MKV away.

i wasnt massively huge on the Steve Morse

preferred the Mark V a hell of a lot more, although for the extra cash i would take a Herbert over it any day
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Hence...

"if you like the tone"

Well yeah but good luck finding a Herbert in the UK... Which is certainly no where near as versatile as a MKV.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I don't know of any amp more versatile than the mark VI...,

Didn't even know they were working on one already. Last I heard only the V was out. Haha.

If you want a poor mans mark, find a jsx or whichever peavey it is now. It has lots of sounds, switchable tube bias like the mark series, but doesn't have the massive intimidating rear panel like the mark series. It served me well for cover bands.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
If you want a poor mans mark, find a jsx or whichever peavey it is now. It has lots of sounds, switchable tube bias like the mark series, but doesn't have the massive intimidating rear panel like the mark series. It served me well for cover bands.

It also sounds nothing like the Mark series

Quote by Tom 1.0
Well yeah but good luck finding a Herbert in the UK... Which is certainly no where near as versatile as a MKV.

You've clearly not spent enough time with a Herbert then.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Man I hate how many little switches and shit the mark has.

even the vh4 is just the standard knobs for each channel.

a pot in the right place can do anything 12 hundred switches can do.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by MatrixClaw
It also sounds nothing like the Mark series

You've clearly not spent enough time with a Herbert then.

My suggestion was not for an amp that Sounds like a mark, but is as Versatile as one. Granted, it doesn't sound the same, because the jsx sounds like a peavey, and the mark sounds like a Mesa still, but they both can cover a wide variety of sounds.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Tom 1.0
Hence...

"if you like the tone"

the herbert is as versatile dude trust me, the only thing the Mark V has over it is built in reverb tbh and that its a lot cheaper

nice one OP you'll be very happy with ein Herbert
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by Reincaster
My suggestion was not for an amp that Sounds like a mark, but is as Versatile as one. Granted, it doesn't sound the same, because the jsx sounds like a peavey, and the mark sounds like a Mesa still, but they both can cover a wide variety of sounds.

I know what you meant man, I was just giving you a hard time because you used the phrase "poor mans mark," which insinuates that it sounds like a Mark
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com