Hey guys, I've been playing rock and blues for quite some time, I really wanted to expand into jazz guitar. I've heard its a pretty hard genre to play but Im willing to put the hours and emotion into it. What's a good place to start? Such as artists, particularly guitarists. I can play rock, blues and gospel guitar solidly so I don't mind starting out with some harder stuff.
if you want to be a cut above the rest, learn from the horn players and piano players. guitarists who only intensely study guitarists are why I don't like playing with guitarists. that said, get the omnibook. learn it WITH the songs. don't just play the notes, try to actually sound like bird.

from there, go onto miles. Coleman Hawkins. Johnny hodges. Coltrane. etc.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Jul 22, 2011,
I have a few resources which I would reccommend:

Study online with Jimmy Bruno. Expensive but you will learn from an amazing guy.

Get with I think its JamPlay.com that has a guy named Matt Brown, study his series.

Buy NGW Jazz 1-3 with Jody Fisher

I bet Mike Dodge can teach it like a madman, though Ive never studied with him.

I don't teach it online yet, but I teach it at the Academy to advanced students that show an interest. Honestly I don't think I ever will try to teach Jazz online, because I feel that another hat in the ring is redundant...I really don't need to, unless I had something new or novel to teach, but I don't think when it comes to Jazz that Id do better than Jimmy Bruno, straight up.

Best,

Sean
Honestly, a good teacher would help you so much in this respect.

Id say start by learning some jazz solos by ear. Jazz has a vocabulary that once you get down, makes playing it a lot easier.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by FenderMayer
Hey guys, I've been playing rock and blues for quite some time, I really wanted to expand into jazz guitar. I've heard its a pretty hard genre to play but Im willing to put the hours and emotion into it. What's a good place to start? Such as artists, particularly guitarists. I can play rock, blues and gospel guitar solidly so I don't mind starting out with some harder stuff.

Some jazz guitarists I like listening to..

Wes Montgomery
Charlie Christian
Joe Pass
John Abercrombie
John Scofield
Pat Metheny

I'd start with listening & appreciating. Then move on to actually playing it and studying it after you've developed a familiarity with the genre.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 22, 2011,
(Thank Sean, I just read your comment)

This is a group of lessons I put together that I've been calling: Zero-to-Jazz

They take you through some very important concepts in jazz and get you to start playing "that sound" and knowing where "that sound" comes from.

Read these in this order:

IIm-V-I Playing the Changes: http://mikedodge.freeforums.org/ii-v-i-playing-over-the-changes-t19.html

The I-VIm-IIm-V Progression Part 1: http://mikedodge.freeforums.org/substitutions-and-the-vim-iim-v-i-progression-part-1-of-2-t3.html

The I-VIm-IIm-V Progression Part 2: http://mikedodge.freeforums.org/substitutions-and-the-vim-iim-v-i-progression-part-1-of-2-t3.html