Alright, well in one of my recent threads I asked about mics, interfaces, etc. but I'm thinking about getting an Analog 4 track cassette recorder, just to have fun with. I have a couple questions about them though.

1). Since the instruments are recorded onto a tape, do you have to record all instruments at the same time? As I'm not in a band, this is a main concern.

2). How much do they generally cost?

3). How would I go about transferring the song on the cassette to my computer, or onto a CD, for that matter?

4). If it is difficult/expensive to transfer the recordings from the cassette to a computer or CD, would it be easier to just get a digital multitrack recorder? I realize I would be sacrificing the saturated, "old school" sound of the analog recorder, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on this.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
1). Since the instruments are recorded onto a tape, do you have to record all instruments at the same time? As I'm not in a band, this is a main concern.

Either way. Models differ, of course, but most allow you to track 1, 2, 3, or all 4 tracks at the same time.

Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
2). How much do they generally cost?

I don't believe they sell them at corporate guitar stores anymore. They used to go for around $100, I think?

You might check pawn shops.

Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
3). How would I go about transferring the song on the cassette to my computer, or onto a CD, for that matter?

Here again you need an interface. For that reason you might as well buy an interface and skip the 4-track.

But hey, I'm not discouraging you from getting one anyway. WTF? Could be fun.

Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
4). If it is difficult/expensive to transfer the recordings from the cassette to a computer or CD, would it be easier to just get a digital multitrack recorder? I realize I would be sacrificing the saturated, "old school" sound of the analog recorder, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on this.

It's not too hard and definitely not expensive.

It would be much easier just to record directly to a digital multitrack since it will probably come with USB and some kind of software to make the transfer for you. (I wouldn't buy it if it didn't!)
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic

It would be much easier just to record directly to a digital multitrack since it will probably come with USB and some kind of software to make the transfer for you. (I wouldn't buy it if it didn't!)

Yeah, I figured it would be easier with a digital multitrack... But I had the sudden urge today to want to make my recordings sound like The Black Keys or The White Stripes or something like that. I'm mainly just looking for something to record with in my room, that way I don't have to lug my guitars, amps, keyboards, etc. down to where our computer is... Would be much easier to record in my room then just bring the multitrack down to the computer.
If you want to simulate that analog sound, then just get a good cassette recorder and buy as many 60-minute cassettes as you can.

Mix your drums, bass and guitars and drive them hard to a regular, stereo cassette recorder.

Granted that's not "professional," but it works!

You just have to find your sweet spot for your particular tape recorder where it is distorting, but not ripping your sound to hell.

It's different for every machine, even every tape, I'm afraid! That's the fun of analog...

"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."